Author Topic: Bryneglwys Quarries, Abergynolwyn.  (Read 3649 times)

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bryneglwys Quarries, Abergynolwyn.
« on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for the burial places of 2 quarrymen who died in quarry accidents in the above quarry.
One is a Hugh Williams who died on the 11 September 1870 and Robert Roberts who died mid February 1871. Their deaths were reported in the Cambrian News.
They are not in Llanfihangel y Pennant or Talyllyn or Towyn & a walk around Llanegryn has been fruitless. They are not in Bryncrug or Abertrinant either. Both DC's report their place of death as the quarry but no mention of their address. Both were married, the first had 4 children & was aged 32  the second was 26 & had 2 children.
Montgomeryshire searches in Mach & Penegoes were also unhelpful. They are not at St Rhedyw Llanllyfni either. (close association with Abergynolwyn)
Possibly Llanfachreth/Dolgellau????

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bryneglwys Quarries, Abergynolwyn.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
There is a near match for Robert Roberts if the report, rather than the death, was mid February.

28th January 1871 at Llanfihangel y Pennant - age 23 of Abergynolwyn.

David

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
As a matter of interest, what is the close connection between St Rhedyw  Llanllyfni and Abergynolwyn ?
Emyr

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 13 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. My MI's have not got that. What is the number of the grave. I was planning on visiting Dolgellau tomorrow to search the PR's, the BT's stop at 1837 her at the national Library at Aberystwyth).

Thanks Emyr, many of the quarrymen who opened up the nascent quarry in 1862 were from the parishes of Llandwrog/Llanllyfni, on account of the purchase by John LLoyd Jones son of JJ, Talysarn.  There was little immediate expertise in slate quarrying so they bought their own workforce with them. This was augmented by the Manager, Robert Williams, Cae Engan Llanllyfni who kept in touch with Nantlle (he was at Penyrorsedd before). There are thus many descendants of these quarrymen  who owe their roots to Caernarvonshire (myself included)
Many of them are buried back at St Rhedyw.
Regards
Alwyn

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
The information came from the FindMyPast website.

If it is not on the MI's, it is possible that the stone has become illegible or is missing. Is it possible that there was no headstone?

No sign of Hugh Williams.

David

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks David, I'm sure that's the correct one, The death was reported on the 11th Feb. 1871 in the Cambrian News. I'll pop up to the Dol. Archives tomorrow for a closer inspection. Hugh Williams might be in the Talyllyn PR's.
Regards
Alwyn

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 June 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks David, I'm sure this is Robert Roberts who is at Llan y Pen with no gravestone. The PR's today weren't helpful as there was no address, just "Abergynolwyn". I'm still awaiting the DC but am not hopeful of an address as he probably died in Bryneglwys Quarry.
As you say, no sign of Hugh Williams who is not buried in any of the local parishes.
Regards
Alwyn

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 July 13 18:07 BST (UK) »
If anyone is interested, there is a widow in Bryncrug in the 1871 census named Elinor Williams, she has 3 children of her own plus a fourth who is the child of her sister, Anne Richards. Elinor Richards daughter of Richard Jones married a Hugh Williams son of Hugh Williams at St Cadfans, Towyn on the 7th October 1865, I'm pretty sure this is the widow. I strongly suspect Hugh Williams is buried at the Methodist Cemetery, Bryncrug with no gravestone.