Author Topic: Another Murray Search  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Lauramars

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another Murray Search
« on: Sunday 03 March 13 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)  I'm new at this but I've been doing a lot of looking around and am very overwhelmed.  Where do I start if I have very little information?  I know my GGgrandfather's name (Patrick Murray - at least it was when he came to the U.S.) and I have his approximate year of birth.  I believe I also know a couple of his sibling's names.  He came from Carlow and was Roman Catholic.  But that's it.  Several others, before me, have attempted this but surely there has to be something somewhere!  He didn't just materialize!  ;)  Any guidance at all would be appreciated!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another Murray Search
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 13 08:52 GMT (UK) »
When approx was Patricks year of birth?  Do you have a marriage Cert for him it should have his fathers name. What were his siblings names? When approx did he emigrate to US :)

Offline Lauramars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello ballydw,  thanks for your response.

I do have his marriage cert but there are no parents names listed on it.  He used 1817 as his year of birth but the ages he reported on all of the US census records put his birth anywhere from 1817-1828.  He used Mar 17 as his birthdate but a relative who visited Ireland 15 yrs ago was told if emigrants didn't know their birthdate they were given St. Patrick's Day.

I believe a couple of his siblings names were James and Mary.  Other relatives believe he is the Patrick Murray who arrived on the Sarah Sheaffe in May of 1936 but if so, he is unaccounted for until he married my GGGrandmother in 1853.

He never used a middle initial but relatives believe it is a J.  However, on my GGGrandfather's death cert. his father is listed as Patrick D. Murray.

This is my dilemma.

Offline SketchDon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 13 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Laura...

I am also doing some research on Patrick.  He is the gg-grandfather of a friend I'm helping.

To answer a couple of your questions, on the 1900 census, he stated that he immigrated to the U.S. in 1836, so I believe it's safe to assume that the Patrick Murray who came over on the Sarah Sheaffe is the same one.  I also believe I have located him on the 1850 census in Richland Co., Ohio as a railroad laborer living in house full of other RR workers.

He was apparently a naturalized citizen and it appears that he was naturalized in 1852, but in Boston, which seems strange considering he was in Ohio.  I have not been able to locate the naturalization papers.  Have you?

Also, I have a copy of his obituary, which does get his immigration year and marriage year wrong, but does say he had 17 children and 9 were alive when he passed; and it has some details about his accident and work life.

Would be willing to share info.

Thanks!
Don

Offline Lauramars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Don,

Thanks for your post!  Good to know that others are still looking for the same Patrick Murray... as I have reached a dead end just like many before me.  I have all of the items you mention and I'm not really sure he's the same Patrick Murray that was naturalized in Boston.  I would also be willing to share what I have.  I was in touch with a distant cousin who actually went to Ireland and tried tracking him down but came home with nothing.  Message me your email address and we can share info.

Thanks!
Laura

Offline SketchDon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Laura...

Email removed by moderator, please use private message to exchange personal information
Look forward to hearing from you.

Don

Offline mbbenton1234

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hello!  My Great, great grandfather is also Patrick Murray from Carlow, Ireland.  He was married to Sarah Ann Lautzenheiser Jan., 1 1853 from my dad's genealogy records.  I am also trying to find out about his parents and Irish family before him.  My dad has so much genealogy on the Murray's however it stopped at Patrick Murray.  I talked to the same lady as you, who is related through the Murray's and she said that she visited Carlow, Ireland to try to find some info., but didn't have enough time to research him.  Bummer.
I plan to keep searching and if I come up with something, I will let you know.  Sincerely, Martina (my grandma was a Murray).

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat mbbenton1234  :). Many more records have come on line since this thread was started 6 years ago so maybe the search may be easier now. For instance this website http://www.rootsireland.ie/ ; you will need to register & unfortunately it is not pay per view now but subscription although you can get a day pass. Parish registers have been scanned at https://registers.nli.ie/ with free access but you do need to know the parish first.

If you make 2 more posts [just reply twice to this thread] you can exchange personal messages & details with Lauramars. She may have found out more in the meantime. She should get notification of your post as should SketchDon.

As an aside my great grandfather was a Patrick Murray too, but not your one!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Martina,
Find My Past gives the following results for a Patrick Murray born c.1817 in Carlow

2nd May 1823 baptism to Patrick Murray and Judith Mahon Leighlinbridge Parish
17th December 1825 baptism to Thomas Murray and Mary Crowe Tinryland Parish
1st April 1825 baptism to Patrick Murray and Judith Mahon Leighlinbridge Parish
22nd January 1825 baptism to Morgan Murray and Anne O Connor Rathvilly Parish
23rd October 1828 baptism to Patt Murray and Mary Coogan Rathvilly Parish
21st February 1830 baptism to "Mather" Murray and Mary Power St. Mullins Parish
18th April 1830 baptism to Mather Murray and Cather. Drue St. Mullins Parish
18th April 1832 baptism to ??D Murray and Brid Murray Tullow Parish
25th July 1834 baptism in Myshall Parish.Parents transcribed as Laurence Nolan and Elisa Nolan

Those are just the transcriptions,Parish entries would be on register at NLI here;

https://registers.nli.ie/

McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)