Author Topic: Griffiths Valuation  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths Valuation
« on: Friday 13 July 07 19:39 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation -    Thomas Daly. 1854

Having checked the parish records in Kilbeggan and obtained certificates in Mullingar and Dublin.  I have now traced my great grandfather Joseph Daly who Married Winifred Byrne 24th April 1871 at the Catholic chapel in Tullamore  (Kings) 

The certificate records Joseph’s father  as a Thomas Daly,  a farmer  but notes  he is deceased at the time of marriage when Joseph is aged 33 years.

Currently I am waiting for a death certificate from the GRO in Rosscommon if available.        Unfortunately their records only go back to 1863 but there is a reference to Thomas Daly as a landowner from Ballymachugh  in Kilbeggan in the Griffiths Valuation dated 1854.

My question is what value can I place on Griffiths record and how can I connect it too the death certificate?
The dates are right also the townland is right? 

As there is also a Michael Daly recorded on Griffith’s valuation,   again the same Townland,  Ballymachugh and again from Kilbeggan, Co Westmeath,    can I assume they are brothers? 

In the absence of census information has anyone any idea how I can trace siblings as these are the missing links.

Where do I go from here?    Any advice help appreciated.

Anthony  Daly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Currently I am waiting for a death certificate from the GRO in Rosscommon if available. Unfortunately their records only go back to 1863 but there is a reference to Thomas Daly as a landowner from Ballymachugh in Kilbeggan in the Griffiths Valuation dated 1854.
Civil registration of deaths (and births) in Ireland began 1864 not 1863,
but there is a reference to Thomas Daly as a landowner from Ballymachugh in Kilbeggan in the Griffiths Valuation dated 1854.
My question is what value can I place on Griffiths record and how can I connect it too the death certificate?
The dates are right also the townland is right?
As there is also a Michael Daly recorded on Griffith’s valuation, again the same Townland, Ballymachugh and again from Kilbeggan, Co Westmeath, can I assume they are brothers?
Daly is a very common name in Ireland and perhaps also in the area you are seaarching so you cannot assume any of these Dalys are related without more proof than an entry in Griffith's Valuation. (I know of 1 townland with 17 families with the same surname- 16 are probably related & 1 is certainly from outside the area. By following the valuation notebooks forward from printed Griffiths I have been able to connect them to present-day families but not to each other).
If you are lucky there might be church records which will have pre-1864 baptisms, marriages, etc. that will give more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Anthony Daly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Yes you are right.

I have just received information  that Thomas Daly  born 1792  d 1867 was a laborer   not a land owner.  That the townland was Kilmawagain, Clara
Tullamore, Co Offally.

Where can I get info on  Kilmawagain ?

Anthony

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Anthony,

Kilmawagain does not seem to come up in searches - however:

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/  (Itish Townlands) shows Kilmanaghan - I wonder if this is it?

http://www.irishmidlandsancestry.com/content/offaly/a-z/offaly_e-k.htm#kilmanaghan  tells you a bit about this area.

http://www.failteromhat.com/  (Griffiths) has 3 Thomas Dalys in this parish

and this site http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/county/offaly/offrc.html  shows that you may be able to access parish records by ordering them through a local Family History centre of the Latter Day Saints if you are near to one.

I do hope this is of some help
best wishes
heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smithfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Anthony, I am also seeking information about a Joseph Daly born in either 1854 or 1855 in Mullingar, Westmeath.  My Joseph.... (my gg grandfather) however married a Mary Fitzsimons at Chapel of Taughmon, Mullinger, Westmeath, Ireland in 1872 and they went on to have two children in Ireland, Michael and Esther before emigrating to New Zealand on the Wennington.  His father was also possibly named Thomas.... wish they all had more unusual names as it would make the process easier.

I am wondering if in your searches for your Joseph Daly if you came across any that could be mine instead?   Just clutching at straws ;o)

Tania.
Smith - Descendants of Henry and Mary Ann from Ormondville, Dannevirke, Te Runga, Mangatera, New Zealand
Daly - Joseph and Mary Ann - South Canterbury, Wellington New Zealand originally from Ireland.
Gillies - William married Elizabeth Pendlebury, Victoria Australia originally from Scotland.
Edmonds - John Samual and Mary Ann Stickland, settled Keri Keri, New Zealand

Offline tsheridan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 August 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Anthony,

I just learned that my great great grandmother was Maria Daly (b about 1847), her father was James, and that their family lived in Clara and several of their family were buried in Kilmonaghan cemetery.  Kilmonaghan civil parish is the closest name to Kilmawagain I have seen in the area.  Perhaps that is it?

Tom