Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77182 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
If a convention of the time was to refer to a woman by her maiden name even into widowhood,the following looks a possibility for the origins of Jane Morgan.

There is a will of 1722 for Morgan Lewis,Ystradmeurig in which he names his only daughter "Jaine".
(Image 5 is either very interesting or an administrative mistake)
While the will does not appear to be of an "asset rich" family,the following does appear to show a possible connection with the area of  interest(dated 1684):-

Lewis ap Evan Lewis of p. Istrad Meirick, co. Card., yeoman. 2 Morgan Richard of p. Gwnnus and Richard David of p. Istrad meirick, yeomen. Settlement (previous to the marriage of Morgan Lewis, son and heir apparent of the first party, and Mary Morgan, daughter of the said Morgan Richard of the capital m. and lands called Bryn Pervedd, p. Itrad Meirick, within gr. Mevenydd, belonging of late unto the late dissolved monastery of Strata florida, one close of meadow thereunto adjoining, liberty upon the commons and mountains unto the said capital m. adjoining, and a place to cut turfs upon the same commons, the said meadow, commons and mountains being in lp Spytty, p.[es?]of Istrad Meirick and Spytty Ystwyth, together with one mansion house, etc., thereunto belonging. 

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 11:07 BST (UK) »
Good work Roger. I've also found another link between Jane Morgan and Ystradmeurig/Lledrod. In the addition to Edward Schoolmaster's will, amongst the list of names you will see John Rice, son of David Rice, son of Hugh Rice. clerk, dec.
This indenture shows the Rev. Hugh Rice.

II.166
1722, Sept. 29
INDENTURE, being an assignment from Thomas Richards of Penybrin-merllyd, p. Lledrod, co. Card., gent., by the direction of Thomas Evan Rees of said p. Lledrod, yeoman, to Hugh Rice of the same p., clerk, of a mortgage for £53 (granted on 2 Oct. 1716 by the said Thomas Evan Rees and Elizabeth his wife, to the said Thomas Richards) and of a further charge of £17 on a tmt called Tythin-brin-issa, comprising the one-fourth part of an ancient tmt called Bryn-merllyd in said p. Lledrod, being formerly parcel of the possessions of the dissolved monastery of Strata Florida.  Memorandum (endorsed) that the principal and interest had been repaid to the said Hugh Rice on 29 Sept. 1740.

Because there is a Thomas Richard involved, (probably Thomas of the Inn), and yet another Rev. in the picture, things are getting interesting again.

Just received your last post. I'll have a better look at that after I've done my work for today. (Chopping logs and stacking same, mowing grass and storing potatoes for the winter etc.)

regards from Peter
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry ... not the Thomas Innkeeper but the other one, Thomas Gent.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
I think I've referred to the following before,believing it may imply the existence of a will(hopefully not a bond) of the father of Edward Richard.I have not been able to identify such a will,which would obviously be very useful if it referred to other branches of the family.The reference is dated 1756.
A previous reference of 1746 does not refer to "..,.late...",so his death may be 1746-1756.As you probably know Gwen(llian) died in 1763-no sign of a will for her either.

Jane Morgan of p. Sputty Ystraed Meyrick, co. Card., widow. 2 Edward Richard of the village of Ystrad Meyrick in the said p. gent., son, heir ands administrator of Thomas Richard, late of the said village, yeoman, dec. Release of the equity of redemption of the properties specified in Nos 220-1 of 28-9 Sept. 1746, and deed declaring the uses of the fine specified therein. Witnesses: David Richard's of foes a blyddied, David Williams of Pen y graig, and Thomas Davies of Wernvelen.

Would it be worth contacting NLw to see if such a will exists and how it can be accessed?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Ref you 10.22 post of today.
  We can see that this Morgan Richard + Jane is not the Morgan Richards, Rev. + daughter Jane of Llandewi. Of interest are the surnames.
 We know that David and Goley Richard were negotiating at around this time; the first mention of David and Maurice Richard was in 1683, ( the year before this document), and then David and Goley in 1694.
 From the following you can see that the first individual ever mentioned in connection with the properties that are of interest to us is a Thomas Lewis, Lledrod, yeoman

1658, Nov. 24
INDENTURE, (counterpart), being a grant from John Vaughan of Trowscoed, co. Card., esq., to Thomas Lewis of p. Lledrod, co. Card., yeoman, of a tmt called Tythin-y-bryn-issa and two parcels of land called Ynis-y-garne and Ynis-y-bervedd, being three-eighths of an ancient tmt called Bryn-merllyd in said p. Lledrod and in gr. Mevenith, and parcel of the possessions of the dissolved monastery of Strata Florida, but reserving to the grantor all minerals, a perpetual yearly rent of 37s.6, and suit at Swydd-y-ffynnon mill.  Witnesses:  Edward Vaughan; James Vaughan; James Stedman.
 Perhaps there is a link between Thomas Lewis and the Lewis ap Evan Lewis mentioned in your 10.22 doc. A marriage settlement is mentioned and a Richard David, yeoman is involved as well as Morgan Richard and his daughter Mary, (Bride) and Morgan Lewis, (Groom).

Regards Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
I think it likely that the David Richard could be the one from the 1727 will and the 1719 reference

Indenture, being a lease for a year (so that a grant by release might be made) from Charles Pryse of Rhandir, p. Llan-y-grwyddon, co. Card., gent., David Richard of Ynis-pervedd, p. Lledrod, co. Card., yeoman, and his son and heir-apparent Richard David, to Thomas Richard of Bwlch-y-ddwyallt, p. Caron, co. Card., gent., of a mortgage for £40 (granted on 9 Nov. 1694 by the said David Richard and Goley his wife.

I have sent an e-mail as per your PM.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
Another possible view(I think):-

I've always wondered who the William Davies was,who is listed in 1777 as having hereditary rights in the properties of interest.He has a brother Richard listed at the same time.
These brothers appear to be listed as Davis in 1772,and I wonder,by extension,if they were originally David?
William Davies in 1777 appears to have the rights because Thomas and Jane(and Letitia-possible wife of David of Ffos y Bleidddiad) and an Elizabeth Richards are all deceased.
We have ascribed Thomas to be the son of Morgan Richards(surname naming)
Perhaps William and Richard were patronymically named sons of David of Ffos,therefore also implying a family relationship between David and Thomas as I speculated before,both being sons of Morgan.This would imply different forms of naming of the children of two brothers-but who knows?

The other possibility I am working on is that William and Richard Davies are related(sons) to the Rev Thomas Davies,brother in law and guardian.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 29 August 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
 I spent quite some time yesterday going through any will for anyone named Richard, (from the areas that we know), without stumbling upon anything of great interest. I have also been trying to weed out anything we have already that may be the proverbial "red herring". Unfortunately, verything is linked one to the other in some way and your last post is a good example.
The guardians of Morgan Richard's, (Llandewi), were the Rev.Thomas Davies and his brother, Daniel Davies. Thomas is stated as being Morgan's son in law in his will of 1749. The Davies that you have could be the Rev. Thomas' offspring and therefore related by marriage.
 I'm also trying to form some sort of timeline for Ynys/Bryn Perfedd, starting in 1637, when Evan David first took possession. I found another transfer yesterday and now have enough entries to simplify who was there, and when.
  Everyone that ever leased the place was named or related to one of our listed Richard/s folk and it may be one of these that branched out to provide the better known Richard/s scions, David of Ffos etc.
The marriage of Morgan Richard's Daughter Mary to Morgan Lewis, with detail from 1658 is linked to the following, found yesterday.

1686, Sept. 29
1   Morgan John of p. Gwnnus, co. Card., gent., and David Morgan, his eldest son
2   Lewis ap Evan Lewis of p. Istrad Meiricke, and Morgan Lewis, his son
QUITCLAIM of the capital m. and lands called Tyddyn Bryn y Pervedd, p. Istrad Meiricke, and of one close of meadow thereunto adjoining, liberty upon the commons and mountains to the said capital m. adjoining, and to a place to cut turfs upon the same commons, the said meadow, commons and mountains being in the lordship of Spittie, p. Istrad Meiricke.

We're lucky that we have details from so far back in time but the name changes are a pain in the Archive!
                           Regards from Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 29 August 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
A possibility for the identities of "Maurice Richard and David Richard" of the 1683 indenture,may be yet another(groan) David Richard-this time of the 1688 will(Lledrod).Although not specified he lists a Mary Richard(sister) and a number of males,who I assume to be brothers,including a "Morris"(also appointed as executor/guardian).

Regards
Roger