Author Topic: Mary Kennah and Edward Bannan  (Read 4085 times)

Offline kabeja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Kennah and Edward Bannan
« on: Friday 30 August 13 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,
I have posted about the above two on here before without much success but now have some more information so hopefully someone may be able to help.
Previously i thought their names were Mary Kenny and Edward Barnen as per various English census returns and certificates. However, my brother has just visited Durham records office and has found various Catholic entries which state clearly that the family names we should have been looking for are Mary Kennah  b.1841 and Edward Bannan  b. 1838.
Mary stated consistently she is from Queens County and was married to Edward sometime before 1865 in Ireland, very likely in Queens County. They had two children who said they were born there, they were Mary Ann Bannan  b.1865 and James Bannan  b.1867.
We have also found a death for an Edward Bannan in Abbeyleix registered in 1870 aged 32 which would give him a birth year of 1838. This would fit nicely with Mary remarrying in Durham, England in 1871 to Patrick O'Neil who was also from Queens County. We know for sure she was called Bannan when she married Patrick and that her maiden name was Kennah.
Any help in finding Mary and Edwards marriage, the births of their children Mary Ann and James or the births of Mary Kennah  and Edward Bannan would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Suffolk... Sharp.
Durham... Moody, Clark(e), OŽNeil(l), Sharp,

Offline kabeja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Kennah and Edward Bannan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 September 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
Further to the above it now seems highly likely that the area of Laois/Queens they were from (especially Mary Kenna) is the specific area of Modubeagh (sp ?), Wolfhill and Doonane in the mining district of southern Queens County.
Anyone ?
Suffolk... Sharp.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 September 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

you could try this site http://laois.rootsireland.ie/  You need to register and it is a pay site and some consider it to be quite expensive.
There is a free search facility and there are possible births/baptisms showing for your names.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kabeja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and link Heywood. I've registered and used some of my free search credits and there are indeed results for Mary Kenna, Mary Ann Bannan and James Bannan births which are of interest. I see why some people think it's expensive. At between 2.50 and 5.00 euros just to view a record you wouldn't want to be viewing many non relevant ones !
Cheers for your help and time.

Kabeja.
Suffolk... Sharp.