Author Topic: Ellen Thomas  (Read 2160 times)

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Thomas
« on: Wednesday 28 May 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was apparently born in 1822 in Llanfairfechan.  She was my great great grandfather's second wife who he married in 1851, his 1st wife having died in 1850.  The only birth i can find for Ellen is 3rd March 1822 Elin (Jones) Thomas?  I definitely think this is her birth to a John Thomas (father) and a Mary William (mother) although i have no idea where the 'Jones' in the middle comes from.  When John and Ellen married, (she became a Jones on marriage strangely enough) her father was on the certificate as John Thomas, labourer.
However i need to ask the following please, if anyone can help and i know you lovely people have helped me in the past:

Was Margaret also named sometimes Mary?
Was Drulmaddyn a district of Llanfairfechan or would it have been the name of a property? This is on the birth certificate where abode is mentioned.

Also i need to know where 'Elian House' Colwyn was situated which is another part of my research on my Jones' ancestor side. 
Thanks sue

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 May 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I have a book about Llanfairfechan and there is a small list of houses from the 1750's mentioned. One of them is Drill-Madin, could this be the one you are looking for as it is very similar. While researching Llanfairfechan I have noticed in a lot of the early Census, the enumerators have just put village instead of the actual house name, which is unfortunate if you are looking for a particular house name.
A possibility for Elian House Colwyn is, there is an Elian Road in Old Colwyn Near Colwyn Bay. Perhaps there was a house of that name on this particular road.
Hope this helps,
Ellenmai

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 June 14 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Re the name question, check out the sticky post at the top of the Caernarvonshire board.  It might help answer your puzzle.

H
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 June 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I placed a request on www.llanfairfechan.org.uk for the house you have been looking for and it was called Dryll Madyn and was off Mount Road, but is no longer standing. The person giving the information said their family lived there in 1790 and called William Rowland & Ann Thomas. It is quite easy to view if you go on the website. I hope it is a match for the family you are looking for and perhaps could get more info from the person who answered my request.
Kind Regards,
Ellen Mai