Author Topic: llanrhos  (Read 8230 times)

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: llanrhos
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 June 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,
I have tried the two sites and I keep getting no hits. Don't know what I am doing wrong.
regards
Lynne

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Please don't apologise it's me having one of my senior moments and not keeping up. ;D
As I have mentioned before there appeared to be one house called Ty Newydd which is on the main road and is still there today, it's now called Lavender Cottage. Then there was a row of terraced cottages called Ty Newydd 1-4. I believe the row of cottages were pulled down and there is now a garage on the site. Next to where the cottages were was a pub called the Farmers Arms, but that too has been pulled down recently. On the 1851 Census the person living at the Farmers Arms was Robert Jones, occupation Sailor and his wife Elizabeth, so perhaps your John Roberts was running the pub side of the business while Robert Jones was away, with him being next door. There was another coaching inn further down the hill called Castle View but it had it's own Landlord.
Have you had a look on the website I mentioned on an earlier post ? You can see for yourself what some of these buildings look like.
I went down to the library this morning to have a look at the list they have for the Memorial headstones at St Mary's Church, but no luck. Quite a few were damaged and removed over the years, so it could have been one of those. The list for St Hilary's Church is in The Archive at Llandudno.

Ellen

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,
Don't you say sorry either, I have senior moments also. But thanks for that info, I am still learning the computer so I still have problems. You never know we may be related on the 1851 census hughs wife jane is living with her son William and granddaughter ellen might be one of your descentants in graig lwyd. thankyou for the info, it looks like I still have to look at st marys and st hillarys and if its the old part I don't stand a chance of finding them unless there is a register showing were they might have been buried.
Regards
Lynne

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
There are registers of burials in the cemeteries and these are held in the archives:

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?coll_id=1768

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/Conway/index.html

You should try a post on the site mentioned before, The Three Towns Forum as there are local people on there who will often volunteer to visit the Conwy archives and do look ups.

It is also worthwhile pursuing whether there are any Monumental Inscriptions for these cemeteries.

Jo.

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
I had been on the genuki site before, but as for the archives I seem to be going round in circles and not finding any info. But I am still learning the computer, so will try that site again as for the three towns site I have had a look at it and will have to register to post. I will try that site later.
Thankyou for the info, I will try.
regards
Lynne

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I know how difficult it can be learning computer skills and quite often feel frustrated with myself when I can't work things out as I am self taught. The website Jo has given you for Genuki/Conway has a list of some of the Memorial Headstones in St Mary's Church, Conway. I had a look and it has information on 6 different Robert's families, so if you click on the link then go to the bottom of the page and under the heading Cemeteries, again click on Memorial Inscriptions from the St Mary's Parish Church, Conway.This hasn't as many details as they have in the Conway Library but you never know perhaps one of them may match up with the dates you have.
I haven't any Roberts on my tree that lived in the area we have been discussing, they were Hughes, but lived only a few houses away from Ty Newydd. My lot were Monumental Masons funnily enough and my Great, Great Grandfather was a sculptor Mason and made many of the intricate memorial headstones in the old Llanrhos Churchyard. Over the years the rest of the male line worked on the railway at Llandudno Junction either driving or repairing the engines. By the way Ellen came from my Nanna and she was a Smith/Jones, Nightmare surnames to research  :-\

If there is anything else I can help with please ask,

Kind Regards,

Ellen

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
I know this is off topic but I thought I would let Ellen know that her ancestors probably worked with my ancestors! My gt grandfather, grandfather and mother all worked for the railway and were in Llandudno Junction as well. My gt grandfather was transferred to Holyhead where he stayed until he retired. My grandfather worked all over North Wales as he went over to the commercial side of the railway. He did work in Llandudno and the Junction prior to this as well. My mother worked in Llandudno, Deganwy and the Junction in her time on the LMS.

There were others in the family who were railway workers too.

Jo.

Offline familyline

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 04:23 BST (UK) »
hi Ellen,
I know this is of topic but a lot of the male Roberts married ladies with the surname hughes, and going back to John Roberts of graig lwyd hes down as a stonemason also, and then after him coming forward in my line to my granddad they are all stonemasons.Another Thomas he was born in 1844 worked on Basildon House with a team of stonemasons. The Hughes in my line come from llangelynin. Now back to topic I did look at the genuki site and saw a lot of Roberts there the only one close to my line is Owen and Gwen Roberts, Owen is another son of Thomas born 1725, ther only difference is the date the genuki site is out by one day and one year how accurate do you think they are, my records come from the parish records. so I guess if this is my owen the rest of his family would be buried at St Marys. Do you know the name of the church that sits on a hill by the bend in the river Conway in denigh, I have another John Roberts born 1663 living at tynewyyd and marrying a Elizabeth Thomas at that church in 1716.
thankyou for your time and experience.
Lynne

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne & Joe,

It's a funny old world, my Ancestors living near yours Lynne all those years ago and probably working with yours Joe. Both my Grandfathers worked for the railway, one was a driver the other repaired the boilers of the old steam trains in the 6G sheds and various Great Uncles & Uncles worked in other areas. I also had an Aunt who was a train announcer at Llandudno Junction in the early 1950's. Have you seen the marvellous site www.6g.nwrail.org.uk Joe, they have loads of old photographs on it, perhaps even some of your family. I haven't had any luck finding any of mine on the Railway Information on FindMyPast site have you had any luck?
I have been racking my brain to think of a church by that description Lynne. Could it be on the other side of the river from Conwy called Llansantffraid/ Glan Conwy that was in the County of Denbighshire?
I will go back down to the Conwy library over the next few days and check those dates for you on Owen & Gwen Roberts in the Memorial Inscription Book. Quite a lot of the headstones have worn away and the dates aren't clear so someone may have got the date wrong. I shouldn't think the Parish record was wrong though.

Kind Regards,

Ellen