Author Topic: Cullingsbrough  (Read 6991 times)

Offline sootybear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cullingsbrough
« on: Saturday 22 January 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information of this place, especially the burial records at St Mary's Church, or any headstone photos.  Anything.  My ancestors seem to have been there for generations in the 1700's - 1800's.  Thankyou.
Wards, Bressay, Shetland Islands.
Swift, Lincolnshire, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Bielby, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Nixon/Hancock, Lincolnshire.
Tyson, Lincolnshire.
Parrott/Finch, Yorkshire

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cullingsbrough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this might help:

www.shetland-fhs.org.uk/
Elwyn

Offline Kin-getter

• RootsChat Senior
  • "I grow old ever learning new things"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 11 02:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information of this place, especially the burial records at St Mary's Church, or any headstone photos.  Anything.  My ancestors seem to have been there for generations in the 1700's - 1800's.  Thankyou.

Hi sootybear,

Are you aware that there is also a Cunningsburgh in Shetland?  I know that place but not Cullingsbrough which I think may be in Bressay - one of the islands.  There is a Chapel of Saint Mary's, there:
http://bressay-history-group.org/bhg%20historic%20sites.php

James.

Ayrshire: Craig, Orr.

Offline Bressay Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
I notice the last posting on this was in April 11.  I have only just noticed this item.  If it is of any help I was at the Cullingsbrough cemetery in June 2010 (visiting from Australia) and I have photos  of headstones etc. Most of the headstones are now unreadable due to exposure to the weather.
Adamson (Shetland, Durham), Kenny (Dundee)

Offline sootybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 11 01:37 BST (UK) »
I notice the last posting on this was in April 11.  I have only just noticed this item.  If it is of any help I was at the Cullingsbrough cemetery in June 2010 (visiting from Australia) and I have photos  of headstones etc. Most of the headstones are now unreadable due to exposure to the weather.

Hi Bressay Boy,
I too am from Australia.  I would love to see the photos you have taken.  I thought that there wouldn't be many with any writing left as the winds would have eroded them over all these years.  How did you find the weather?  After our Aussie weather I bet it was chilly. 
Regards, Sharon.
Wards, Bressay, Shetland Islands.
Swift, Lincolnshire, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Bielby, East Riding of Yorkshire.
Nixon/Hancock, Lincolnshire.
Tyson, Lincolnshire.
Parrott/Finch, Yorkshire

Offline Bressay Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 11 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Sooty bear

I have tried to attach a couple of zipped photos for you.  There is a 500KB limit and they only seem to allow 2 files but it bounced when I tried to attach even two compressed files. I can send  separately perhaps? I'm not used to this site so not sure if people post personal email contact details or that can be done "off line" ?

My Bressay connections go back to at least 1729  but are then mostly Lerwick from 1800's then all immediate family gone from Shetland by the 1861 census to Scotland and elsewhere.. Some buried at Cullingsbrough but I couldn't find headstones.  It's a very exposed place.

We were there in June but it was pretty cool,  about 12C, and Shetland is notoriously windy.  But hey, I live in Canberra and it was minus 7 yesterday morning!

I was able to get some useful info from the Bressay local history people while there last year -a very detailed list of ancestors!.   You may have already been in touch with them?

What's your Bressay story?

If you are interested happy to share.

Adamson (Shetland, Durham), Kenny (Dundee)