Author Topic: Hourihane Family West Cork  (Read 19286 times)

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
Re: Hourihane Family West Cork
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 February 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie
Yes I think we have been in contact before; I have contacted most people at some time .I found a lot  of Hourihane /Hourihan in the phone book in Ireland.   I sent prepaid return envelopes to them all, some were kind enough to reply but without any success .The only thing I can think of is that my branch of the Hourihane /Hourihan family have died out in Ireland
Kind Regards
 Mike
 :'(

Online valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 February 11 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
In case it helps .....  I was able to get a few clues from my g/grandad's army records  (HEIC  1853-69)......also from the 1911 census (Lewisham) ....(just before he  died) he actually completed it himself and put 'Drimoleague' as birthplace. 
So now I'm in touch with the (latest?) Dunmanway Research/Historical Society (not sure if I've got that right!) .....they have a welcoming site.   If you think it's worth a try you could ask 'Tommy Collins' ...he seems to be in charge.

Valerie

Any hope of you checking the same?
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 March 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Mike,

Had no idea you were still looking. 

I too have mailed out letters to people and got a pretty good rate of response, but only because I was able to provide details like census info, marriage records, etc.  They could say definitely no they were not related and one guy who did went out of his way to ask around and he came up with something for me!

I am in touch with several Hourihane hunters around the Skibbereen area, and in addition Tommy Collins at Dunmanway has been helping me with tithe applotment transcriptions for the area.  I can say that of the tithe applotments we have looked at *so far*, I have not found a Hourihane named Denis.  You may want to check out my tithe applotment page as it contains links to other Cork tithe applotment transcriptions that I have not done:

http://www.corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/titheapplot/

There is a Denis Hourihane who is a baptismal sponsor to somebody in Skibbereen.  Also at least one man by that name in the RC parish of Barryroe, which I think is up in the union of Clonakilty.  (Not all church records that are supposed to be online are online yet.)

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?name=Denis+Hourihane&location=&dd=&mm=&yy=&submit=Search

Have all those leads fizzled out?
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 March 11 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help and the links.I thought I was the only one looking for the Hourihane family, As I’ve never been contacted by any Hourihane family  hunter’s. Its funny Tommy Collins is helping you at Dunmanway.My Great Grandmothers farther was a Timothy Collins, I wonder if we are related.
I had a some replies from letters in the Skibbereen area, but no help with my family.
You would have thought that someone had a John Hourihane  born 1831 in there family .Most families you see went from Ireland to America, but John Hourihane went to Newport South Wales .
We came to Ireland in 2004 and stayed in Skibbereen, there were lots of Hourihane name’s on the shops .
Keep in touch
Mike

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 March 11 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Tommy Collins is descended from Collinses in Loughcrot and from Lissangle. 

My Collinses came out of Lissane, also out of Adrigole.

We do not know if our Collinses are related and we are both unaware of a Timothy Collins in our direct ancestral lines.  That name is key, as from what I have seen so far in tithe applotments, Timothy occurs as a first name more frequently than even a name like John.  With the ubiquity of men named Tighe around the time of the Elizabethan pardons, I have suspected that the *lack* of Timothys in our lines could mean something.  There are 246 people named Collins in my own family database and the number continues to grow.

The Hourihanes I know about are from Cloghane, Bauravilla, and Tooreen. One of the Bauravilla ones, Peadar, was a well-known nationalist, teacher, and writer.  He wrote columns on local history in the Southern Star for many years.  Peadar might be descended from both Bauravilla and Cloghane Hourihanes.  The name sometimes gets changed as Howard. 
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline pondjumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 January 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
  Iv'e been trying to trace were in West Cork my G-Grandfather John Hourihane b1831 in Cork came from but without much success. I visited Skibbereen in August 2004 but was unable to find out anything.  I send email to anyone on the Internet with the name Hourihane most reply but cannot help. I have also sent out 26 self-addressed envelopes to Hourihane addresses in west cork, which I found in the local phone book but only received 4 replies. They kept saying in the letters that the Hourihane family was a small group of family’s but it seems strange to me that no one has any ancestors who moved to Newport S.Wales.Can anyone think of any other way I can find information about my family?

Offline pondjumper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 January 12 10:01 GMT (UK) »
My Greatgrandfather was William Hourihane who lived in Skibbereen in the mid 1800's.  He had at least two sons who emigrated to the United States.  One returned to Skibbereen, and the other son, my grandfather Cornelius, remained  in Massachusetts.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 January 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
pondjumper, are you trying to locate your ancestor?  What is your grandfather's birth date?

irishgenealogy.ie will probably have your grandfather's baptism record online, and if he was born after 1863 there should be a birth record in civil registration.

Here is one possible such baptism record:
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/71af020075280

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 January 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
In my database of five parishes south of Cork City, I see 14 spellings of the name you give as Hourihane, about half beginning with K, such as Kerukawn, Kerrukwan, Kerrukhan.  Each parish priest seems to have had his own favorite forms of the name.  If the K spellings still exist, it is possible that the bearers of those name forms do not know that their surname is the same as Hourihane.