Author Topic: James Teare/Janet McIntyre and the Island McGee  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Teare/Janet McIntyre and the Island McGee
« on: Wednesday 14 December 05 00:40 GMT (UK) »
looking for information on James Teare who was the Captain of the schooner 'Mary Anne' married Janet McIntyre from Holy Isle, Arran (born 7 DEC 1863) at Island McGee, Ireland late 1800s.
They met when his schooner had to shelter at the Holy Isle, Arran during a storm. This is the only information I have obtained and have no idea where or what became of this branch of the family.
I think what causes the problem is the Island McGee, Ireland Does it exist? I can't find it on any searches I've done. So therefore can't trace any marrage certificates to it
Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Teare/Janet McIntyre and the Island McGee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 05 08:13 GMT (UK) »
It exists OK, but it is Island Magee, not excatly an island but a small peninsula off the coast of Co Antrim not far from Larne. There's lots on the internet if you do a search for "Island Magee".

terry

Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 05 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the correction. Hopfully this will speed things along.
Only found a James Teare being married there in 1848 at present so the search continues- but at least I'm in the right place.
All the best,
Yoric

Offline grants

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
hello yoric
the janet mc intyre you refer to is my great grandmother she lived in Islandmagee all her life and died in 1944 she had a large family
of which i will get you details many of her daughters seem to have been named after her sisters according to the Holy isle links on here .
there was Mary, Violet,Isabel Anne and my grandmother Margaret there were
also some sons all of whom perished during 1st world war.
my grandmother was born in 1900 and was the youngest of the children
she married William Millar of ballycarry near Islandmagee and had 2 children
the eldest my mother is 80 years old on monday and has just returned from a
visit to Arran.

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 06 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Grants,
Sorry I took so long to reply- new baby in the family is taking up any spare time. So glad to hear this branch of the family is doing well. I was starting to wonder where it had gone.
I'm researching the McIntyre family for my wife Carrie and her Gran. They are both thrilled when I told them of your post. I will send you an E-Mail just in case you require any information, however as your mother has just returned from Arran she probably knows most of the family history anyway. It's a shame I didn't hear from you before your mum went to Arran because Carrie's Gran still lives there (Lamlash)and would have loved to have met up. If your interested I am in contacted with 2 other people who descend from the McIntyre's (One in Vancover Canada and the other in Falkirk Scotland) let me know and I'll pass your E-Mail address on.
All the best,
Yoric
P.S. Hope you mum had a happy 80th birthday - Best wishes from everyone here.