Author Topic: Davey's from Brightlingsea/Colchester  (Read 13478 times)

Offline JerseyMo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davey's from Brightlingsea/Colchester
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 July 09 01:28 BST (UK) »
The furthest Davey I have got back to was a William Davey born around 1790. Married to a Mary De France.
Their children were Isaac William b. 1821, William b.1816, Mary b.1819 and Rachel b.1813. Most of the men down the line were shipwrights.
I am afraid I have hit a brick wall as to where they came from before that.
Davey
Gallienne
Gosselin
Lozuet
Rabet

Offline buttercup2009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 July 09 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo

Thanks for the response - you don't say where your shipwright Davey's are living so I must presume Channel Islands.  I don't see any of the people you refer to on the census in 1841 in the Channel Islands, thought it might help to pin down where they are from to see where they say they are from?  I am also assuming that you have found them in the census?

The family of Davey's that I have found were also said by the family to be shipbuilders but so far I have found fishermen/mariners and confirmed they are our family by connecting them back to England further forward.  And most of them ended up back in England, though some stayed.   

:)  :)
Davey Brightlingsea/Jersey/Oxford
Whitsey Lambeth
Cuckow Coventry/Camberwell/Canada
Broadrib Camberwell/Canada
Mear(e)s Haverfordwest/Woolwich
Lemon Plymouth/Woolwich/Plumstead
Staplehurst Sussex/Greenwich
Frisby Market Deeping/Ontario/BC Canada
Terry Bletchingley/London/BC Canada
Hunt Alresford/Plumstead/Deptford
Gorring Plumstead/Canada
Ford  Woolwich - James Thomas died in South Africa
Ellis Woolwich/Wandsworth/Canada
Juby Plumstead

Offline buttercup2009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 July 09 09:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm in Jersey.

The index entry is the information you require to order a certificate from the Registrar.

Stewart

Thanks for that Stewart - I don't think they were born in Grouville, I think they lived there. But their births were probably registered as:
Robert Charles b: 1849 St Helier,
James William b: 1845 St Martin,
Margurite b: 1847 St Martin,
Emily b: 1851 St Martin,
Walter b: 1853 St Martin,
Mary Louisa b: 1857 St Hellier,
Caroline b: 1861 St Hellier, may have died young.
Parents were James Davey b: 1891 Brightlingsea & Margurete Mckeown b: 1824 Gibralter

Our line comes down through Robert Charles - Thanks for listening   :)   ;D
Whitsey Lambeth
Gorring Plumstead/Canada
Juby Plumstead

Offline JerseyMo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 July 09 05:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes they were all living in various town houses in St. Helier, (which is the main town of Jersey, Channel Islands) for the whole time, except for 1841 can't seem to track them down, maybe they left the island for a holiday/job ???
Davey
Gallienne
Gosselin
Lozuet
Rabet

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
I can tell you quite a bit about the Davey who married Margarite Mckeown on Jersey about 1844 and the family that she came from. They and their family go on to appear in the English census in Cowley and Oxford up to 1911 at least

Offline qld-parrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 July 11 03:26 BST (UK) »
I don't think I can help with the line of inquiry relating to Daveys from Brightlingsea/Colchester, but it occurs to me that some of you who know about these things and who are closer to the thick of things (than the Antipodes in my case) may be able to shed some light on another Davey who may have contributed to the original difficulty!

I am trying to trace the Devonian and/or Cornish origins of James DAVEY, who was in St Martin on Jersey at the 1841 census, age 20, born England.

Optimistically, we might assume that he married Nancy Marguerite LAINÉ somewhere in the Channel Is around 1842, before the first of their children was born. Inquiries on Guernsey suggest it was not there. Nancy, according to all the census returns 1841 - 1881 was born on Guernsey around 1823, though there is some inconsistency as to whether it was Vale or St Sampsons.

Their first child John E was born in St Peter, Jersey, 1844. The next two, Thomas L and James Frederick, were born in St Anne, Alderney in 1849 and 1851 respectively. They then moved to Guernsey: George Frédéric 1854, William Robert 1855, Joseph Henry 1857, Alfred Lainé 1860 and Lydia Hannah 1865. As for Nancy, there is some inconsistency from one census to another as to which parish some were born, but the later ones were fairly definitely St Peter Port. At least five of the siblings ended up in Australia.

Finally, at the 1881 census, the place of birth of James DAVEY is given as Lifton, Devon, rather than just "England". But all inquiries in and around Lifton (just spitting distance from the boundary with Cornwall) have so far got me nowhere. Both James and Nancy disappear after the 1881 census, most likely dying in/around St Peter Port. I am hoping that if I ever come across marriage and/or death registrations for James I may obtain just enough additional info to break the deadlock.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find (a) the marriage between James & Nancy ~1842 (b) death or burial of James & Nancy somewhere in the 1880s? Or any other suggestions about how to proceed would be most welcome.

PARRETT: London, Melbourne

Offline Camera2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 April 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Buttercup,
James and Marguerite are my direct ancestors. I have their marriage cert and lots of entries for his Grandparents and his Grandchildren
Davey Essex and Jersey, Egan South West Ireland, Cawthra Yorkshire, Goodwin Manchester and Cheshire

Offline buttercup2009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 April 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
 :o  Wow - that's fantastic, it's my hubby whose mother was the Davey, can I contact you privately, I'd love to get some of that information from you if you be so kind and am also happy to swap info if you would like? I came to a grinding halt having found James in Jersey and knowing that they were there from the family. Was James father Robert Davey b:1781-d:1848 in Brightingsea, I haven't been able to prove that. It's always exciting to meet someone who knows more than you.

Nice to meet you  :)  :)
Whitsey Lambeth
Gorring Plumstead/Canada
Juby Plumstead

Offline Camera2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Happy to share what Ive got. How do we do this privately
Davey Essex and Jersey, Egan South West Ireland, Cawthra Yorkshire, Goodwin Manchester and Cheshire