Author Topic: Killucan-Rathwire 1800s,Hayes family.  (Read 7400 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Killucan-Rathwire 1800s,Hayes family.
« on: Thursday 07 August 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in hearing from anyone with a link to my Grandmothers family.
This is what little Info I have turned up so far.
My Grandmother Margaret Hayes was born in Rathwire Killucan in 1892.
Her Father John Hayes was a Stonemason he was born circa  1851, he married Kate Rooney d-o-b circa 1871 on the 2nd July 1887 in R/C Church at Rathwire.
He was a Widower, Kate, spinster.
John's Father Michael Hayes occupation 'Stonemason'..(originally from Mallow Co Cork)
Kate's father James Rooney a Labourer.

1901 Census at Rathwire Killucan
John and Kate
John 19..(from previous marriage possibly)
James 12
Mary ann 11
Maggie 9 (my gran)
Agnes 6
Kathleen 5
Julia 3
Bridget 1

by 1911 census 3 more children added.
Lucy 9
Massy 8
Michael 6.

1911 census states they were 24 married which I can confirm as I have their marriage cert, it states that they had 8 children born with 7 living.Which leave me assuming that 19yr old John was from 1st marriage and the 3 additions in 1911 are relatives.

Margaret came to Dublin and Married my Grandfather 1912.
I found some very interesting fact about her elder brother James, he went on to take up his fathers trade as a Stonemason, he moved to Portarlington in August 1914 to work on an extension on the Church there.
By this time he had joined a branch of the A-O-H and was also a member of the Irish Volunteer's.
In January 1916 he had gained a contract to build 8 houses at Geashill.
From the Bureau of Military records in which he gave statements its recorded he became very active in the War of Independence in the Offaly-Laois area.

It states he became Officer Commanding the Offaly number 1 Brigade IRA and also held rank as O/C of Portarlington IRA at stages between 1917-21.

The address given on the Military archives in 1957 was Kildalton,Piltown, Co Kilkenny.

If anyone has the above Hayes/Rooney family on their family tree I would be grateful for any further info, Thanking you.

Offline Jthayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Killucan-Rathwire 1800s,Hayes family.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I would be interested in giving some information about the hayes family of kilucan co westmeath if your still interested as my grandfather was James hayes born 1888.regards :)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I would be interested in giving some information about the hayes family of kilucan co westmeath if your still interested as my grandfather was James hayes born 1888.regards :)

I certainly would be interested in any info you have Jt..

Offline Jthayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
 Hi
I visited rathwire and got the following info, John hayes and Kate rooney had 10 children, Kathleen died aged 44, Marcella  (massey) died aged 17, Julia married Samuel Smart, Michael married Elizabeth Ivers in Longford, Lucy married John dooley in athlone, no marriage record for Agnes, brigid married William Murphy from enniscorthy.  I couldn't find any info for Mary ann.  My grandfather jim hayes married Mary Finlay from geashil co offaly. after the war of independence he moved to England and had 3 children, the eldest died aged 7 my father John also a stonemason and his sister Catherine  (kitty) returned to Ireland to Piltown co kilkenny and settled there.  My grandfather wrote some lovely poetry and songs, he died in 1975 and is buried in Piltown with my grandmother and my own father John who died in 1999.  My father was a stonemason and played musical instruments, his sister kitty had 1 son.  I have 3 sisters and we are from waterford.  I couldn't find any info for Michael hayes my great great grandfather, I just know he was from mallow.  Kate rooney's father was James rooney and her mother was Mary lynch, Kate was born in 1871.  John hayes was born in 1851 and died aged 82 on 6 November, he is buried in rathwire with his 2 daughters, no record of anyone else buried in rathwire, his wife Kate may have moved away with family after John died and could possibly be buried elsewhere, I am still doing research and if I find anything else I will let you know, if you have anything I would appreciate it. Also, I forgot to mention John hayes the eldest son from his first marriage, no info on him.regards jt.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that info Jt, it confirms and also add's to my own research which I have been carrying out on and off for the past 10-12 yrs or so.
I have to say I was really surprised to turn up the Bureau Military History statements on Jame's it made interesting reading and also confirmed the story of his Father been a Stonemason from Mallow.
have you read them ?

I am now wondering regs the Kilkenny link as my Grandfather Patrick Doyle who married Margaret was also from Kilkenny.?

by any chance would you have any OLD Photo's of the family.? 

Offline Jthayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 August 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I did see witness statment from James hayes.the only photo I have is one of James. Attached with a tan medal which he was awarded for his participation in war of independence.  If I come across any more photos I'll send them. Have some somewhere just have to root them out.in reference to your gran Margaret marriage  to patrick Doyle kilkenny. I saw marriage certificate from rathwire where Margaret married a Peter Walsh 22nd Feb 1911in ratharney kilucan. Maybe a mistake or maybe she was married twice.regards

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 16 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I did see witness statment from James hayes.the only photo I have is one of James. Attached with a tan medal which he was awarded for his participation in war of independence.  If I come across any more photos I'll send them. Have some somewhere just have to root them out.in reference to your gran Margaret marriage  to patrick Doyle kilkenny. I saw marriage certificate from rathwire where Margaret married a Peter Walsh 22nd Feb 1911in ratharney kilucan. Maybe a mistake or maybe she was married twice.regards

Thats a strange.? but from years of experience I know its not impossible, can you remember if the marriage cert gave an age for 'Margaret'.?

Offline Jthayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
19yrs old.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
19yrs old.

Does it also state the Fathers name/occupation.?

It would be a strange coincidence as Patrick Doyle was a Young Widower left with 2 young children..
I have been trying to piece together what happened to his first wife for years, so this is all I need now ..lol..in saying that it part of the enjoyment and is to be expected when you start looking into your family history.