Author Topic: Senghenydd  (Read 30673 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Senghenydd
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 April 10 09:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

Can you give a bit more info? What period are we talking here? Was he one of the victims of the disaster?

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline bjla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 May 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm doing a family trace and from what I know he was not in the disaster as he not on the roll of people who died.  He lived there with his daughter Julie and Dorian husband, he also had a Son Elwyn and his daughter had 4 children.

I have checked the deaths and he may of been born 1915 or 1899 and am narrowing it down, but will check through the other descendants and see what comes up.

Anyone who knew him would be helpful.

Thank you
bjla

Offline cazrich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 January 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Been researching my great uncle David Richards and my aunt told me he was killed in a big mining accident near Eglwsylan, from where they came from.  Found a David Richards on a list of miners lost in the Senghenydd incident and from that found him on the 1911 census.  The question I wanted to ask the locals out there is: Does Gelli Villas, Caerphilly Road still exist or was it one of the line of shacks that were used by miners familes?  Thank you in advance from USA
Richards, Hinchliffe, O'Farrell, Lawrence, Bennett

Offline sneggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 March 12 00:32 GMT (UK) »
::)Hi Phybill..I read with interest of your ancestry involving the Senghenydd Mine Disaster.. My husbands grandfather also was killed in the mine disaster. I have just located his (Robert William Evans) burial place ..Penyrheol Cemetery...In 2013 the 100th year anniversary will occur I hope that we can make the trip from Australia to visit Senghenydd and Penyrhoel Cemetery.

Offline sneggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 March 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dingaling, If you get to Senghenydd for Centenary next year go and check out the new Heritage Centre which has all the records, info and artefacts right up to the present. Hundreds of photos on touchscreens - excellent, well worth a visit.

Offline sneggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 March 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phylbill
When I was a youngster living in Senghenydd our milkman was named Prosser (Jack).  He had to serve in the latter part of the war and I remember his wife used to come around early with the milk churns to fill up all our jugs! The good old days.  They had two sons, around my age who now live in Caerphilly.  I wonder if this is the same family you are trying to find out info?  I know that in the Heritage Museum in Senghenydd there are phtots of them on their touchscreens.  Next time I go down I will try to find out more info.

Offline Pedro82

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 March 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Been researching my great uncle David Richards and my aunt told me he was killed in a big mining accident near Eglwsylan, from where they came from.  Found a David Richards on a list of miners lost in the Senghenydd incident and from that found him on the 1911 census.  The question I wanted to ask the locals out there is: Does Gelli Villas, Caerphilly Road still exist or was it one of the line of shacks that were used by miners familes?  Thank you in advance from USA

Hi Cazrcih
Gelli Terrace and Caerphilly Road still exist they are not shacks but terraced houses if you need any further info will try to get some answers for you

Offline Sikes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:19 BST (UK) »

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
I am also searching for my great grandfather who was killed in the disaster. His name was Thomas Ivor Lewis and was wondering if anyone researching their family members had any documents where he is mentioned.

Prompted by the memorial on tv.

Thanks

Gill