Author Topic: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee  (Read 21831 times)

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 14 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I emailed the Jute museum in Dundee to get an idea of where to go to get employment information and still have no reply. I know David West Leighton worked in Jute I think on the ships and haven't got a clue where to confirm.

Hi British Kiwi,

If he worked on the ships there may be records for him at the national archives. One of my ancestors (not related to the jute industry in Dundee) was a ships master and merchant seaman before that and I managed to get his voyage records and masters certificate through that route. Ancestry has the masters and mates certificates collection.

Do you have anymore info relating to David which I might be able to use to search for him (birth date/place etc..) ? Was West a middle name or surname?

With regards to the jute museum, you might also want to try the University of Dundee, I believe they hold some records to do with the Jute Mills. Let me know how you get on though, as I'd love to get to know more about this also.

Also as Susan mentions try looking at the passenger records on ancestry, I too had ancestors working in India originating from Dundee. I also have ancestors working the fife mills too, but not coming from Dundee.

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 January 14 05:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi British Kiwi,

If he worked on the ships there may be records for him at the national archives. One of my ancestors (not related to the jute industry in Dundee) was a ships master and merchant seaman before that and I managed to get his voyage records and masters certificate through that route. Ancestry has the masters and mates certificates collection.

Do you have anymore info relating to David which I might be able to use to search for him (birth date/place etc..) ? Was West a middle name or surname?

With regards to the jute museum, you might also want to try the University of Dundee, I believe they hold some records to do with the Jute Mills. Let me know how you get on though, as I'd love to get to know more about this also.

Also as Susan mentions try looking at the passenger records on ancestry, I too had ancestors working in India originating from Dundee. I also have ancestors working the fife mills too, but not coming from Dundee.

Best Regards,

Martin

Thanks for that. I had been struggling to find him but had some luck with deceased online. Not too sure when he was born, but I now have him as deceased (or buried) 21 Dec 1906. I am going to go to our local library and see if I can find his birth records (I'm now based in Melbourne). I was under the impression that he was on the boats and he did go to India. He is my great-great-Grandfather and my Great-Grandmother Elizabeth Margaret Leighton was born in Crete on the way to NZ. I always thought he emigrated there. She did live there but was married back in Dundee. Two of her siblings lived in NZ, but trying to work out who was born in Dundee and who in NZ if any. The library should help. I will add these additional checks you have mentioned to my list, they sound promising, so thank you very much.
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 January 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Not a problem, do you have an age for him when he died and also a place? I did a quick search on ancestry using both west and leighton and had a few hits, but can't confirm them without a approx birth year.

I am reasonably local to Dundee so if you need any local research let me know. I intend to send a quick email to the University and Museum about my own ancestors connections, so will let you know if I get anything.

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 January 14 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm after afraid all I know he is buried in western cemetery.  I ran out the f credits and went back then my english side. Hopefully my library trick might solve sme mysteries.

Hope you have some luck with your family.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

Not too sure when he was born, but I now have him as deceased (or buried) 21 Dec 1906.

Scotlandspeople has a death that may match the information from deceased online -

David West Leighton , death 1906 Midlothian , born c1854

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 January 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

Not too sure when he was born, but I now have him as deceased (or buried) 21 Dec 1906.

Scotlandspeople has a death that may match the information from deceased online -

David West Leighton , death 1906 Midlothian , born c1854

ev
Thanks for that ev, you have given me a possible birth year :) I feel sorry that I have hijacked this post, oops. I'm getting confused with the Jute thing as my Dad was sure that is what he did but the only two documents I currently have (incl. reference to a Will on Scotlands People) says he worked for the Eastern Telegraph Coy in Crete. I was aware he went to Crete as his daughter was born there. I think he may have done both. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get more credits for Scotlands People. Not looking likely I will get to the library in the next day or so and I am itching to get some answers!! ;)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 January 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

Have you seen the article on Iron Workers in Discover My Past magazine? It appeared in an edition several years ago. If not, PM me and I can look for details of the month/year it was published. From memory it contained details of sources that might be useful in tracing ironworkers.

Ikas

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 March 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

Have you seen the article on Iron Workers in Discover My Past magazine? It appeared in an edition several years ago. If not, PM me and I can look for details of the month/year it was published. From memory it contained details of sources that might be useful in tracing ironworkers.

Ikas

Hi Ikas,

Apologies for the delayed response, not been on for a couple of months. That article sounds fascinating - if you can find out the reference to the issue, please pass it on and i'll look it up!

Thanks again.

Martin

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 March 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Martin,

The article was in April 2010 issue of Discover My Past Scotland magazine. Have sent PM with further details of how to source it.