Author Topic: SHERGOLD families  (Read 52792 times)

Offline vickim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHERGOLD families
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 07:42 BST (UK) »
I am descended from 2 main Shergold lines - John Shergold (1690-1757) and his wife Elizabeth nee Potticary (1696- ).    And the other is Robert Shergold (1641?-1718) and wife Mary maiden name unknown. 

These lines become intertwined many times throughout the generations- for example my great grandfather Samuel (born England died New Zealand) was descended from both branches.

My database has around 1800 names-including spouses- and I continue to research these families.  Also have 4 known convicts in the wider tree who were transported to Australia after the Swing Riots in 1830s. My great grandfather was a shepherd boy as a child and later was a private in the army and his wife worked in the carpet factories of Wilton.

Areas of research cover most of Wiltshire.
Is there anyone out there who is also interested in the family or any particular branch of it. .
The names of people marrying into the tree are many so I wont list them here.I would love to cover as much as I can and make new contacts and hopefully find descendants of  my greatgrandfather's siblings.

Cheers VICKI (New Zealand)

Greater London/Essex: Bayes, Bodley, Bower, Burdett, Collins,  Durieu (Durien), Foay, Flood, Greenfield, Hill, Ling, Livermore, Markham, Lewin, Urwin, Whitnall
Berkshire: Brunsden, Brunsdon, Butler
Wiltshire: Lush, Shergold, Coomb(e)s,
Kent: Coppins
Other regions: Bathurst, Coffin
Scotland: Waddell

Offline JeanLillian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SHERGOLD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 20:24 BST (UK) »
 Hi Vicki, I have the Shergolds in my tree from Isaac Shergold circa 1700 marrying Elizabeth Whale-- Steeple Langford Wiltshire Through to Martha Shergold Marrying Thomas Dowdell in 1792 Steeple Langford,
 any Connection
 Regards Jean :)
WILTSHIRE ,  Dowdell, Down,   Blake   Shergold,Fowyle, whale, Terry  
  DORSET , Hounsell, Lacey Long,  Toms, Masters, Fancy, Wicks/Weeks
Diment, Trevett, Sprake, Symes, Vincent
SHROPSHIRE Hughes.
STAFFORDSHIRE Wilkes, Acton, Bannister,  Harrison.
GLOUCESTERSHIRE Symonds, Reynolds
WARWICKSHIRE Symonds Wilkes
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE  Andrews
OXFORD  Reeve, Eggleston
SCOTLAND Tongue
ESSEX  Tunbridge

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 06 20:44 BST (UK) »

I am descended from Elizabeth Shergold who I have been told was the daughter of John Shergold, born c1763, and Elizabeth Harrison, born c1763 both of Hale, Hampshire. ( Information not yet verified.)
Elizabeth married George Mussell at Downton parish church 15 April, 1811.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 00:23 BST (UK) »
To add to the previous post,

17 year old Mary Shergold was among the Downton people who emigrated to Canada in the mass exodus, arriving in Quebec 28 May, 1836.

Beth

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline vickim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 06 06:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Beth and Jean,
Hi to you both and many thanks for replying. Thus far I haven't been able to tie either of your Shergold families into my database but did find information about them in my research files. Even found the shipping list for the Downton/Quebec  people! I will do some more research and see if I can find where or if your families slot into the John or Robert branches. As it seems to be a fairly common name around the Wiltshire area I have no doubt that there are some other branches/families that would all slot together if we could get enough information.
Will get back to you later in week as I have sick grandchildren to look after for a few days!!!
Once again many thanks
Cheers VICKI :)
Greater London/Essex: Bayes, Bodley, Bower, Burdett, Collins,  Durieu (Durien), Foay, Flood, Greenfield, Hill, Ling, Livermore, Markham, Lewin, Urwin, Whitnall

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki

My grandmother was Sally Ann Shears from Winterslow, Wilts and I frequently come across the Shergold name.   I had a quick look to see if the Shears and the Shergolds ever married - probably not.

I did have a look for Robert's marriage and came up with a rather strange result.   There are two marriages between Robert and Mary/Marie each on 9 July 1677 but in different parishes.

The entry for Urchfont states Robert s. of Robert Shergoll, and Marie Rivers p. All Canning.

The entry for Stert states Robert Shergoll, the younger of Erchfont & Mary p. Alcanings.

I am confident that these are the same marriage and presumably Robert was from Urchfont.   I would guess that the marriage was at Stert and it was also recorded in Robert's home parish.[later information Stert is chapelry of Urchfont]

There is a marriage at Urchfont between Robert Shergoll and Elizabeth Kew 3 Oct 1640, and I assume that these are Robert's parents.   My guess is that their first child was Robert 9 Oct 1641 who died, and they named their next son baptized 4 Mar 1644 Robert -  it is quite usual to name a subsequent child after a child who has died.

And I was about to post this, but -

there is a baptism at Urchfont 19 Dec 1657 for Robert Shergoll son of Robert living Wedhampton.   This seems favourite to be the husband of Mary Rivers, but who was his father ? -  this date is outside the dates covered by the IGI.

It is quite conceivable, and not unknown, that this is the third and surviving son named Robert of Robert and Elizabeth.

However, I can find no burials to support the theory of three sons named Robert.   The only burials I can find for Robert in Urchfont are 29 Jun 1672, 30 Apr 1679 and 13 Aug 1697;  this data base claims to have included Urchfont to before 1600.

I hope you find some of this new and helpful.   I think you need to look at the original Urchfont register{on film} to confirm some of these data.   In particular to confirm whether the register was readable at the potential date range for burials of the earlier Roberts, and if so, that these burials are absent.

Best wishes,

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline vickim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
You have given me plenty of food for thought and some more avenues to check. Very interesting. In some of the information I have there is a gap in the records from (I think) it was around 1641..will have to go back over my other folders. Also not understanding where places are in relation to each other makes it hard but I am learning. Will get back to you when I have extracted my other notes. It would appear the name Shergold is fairly common in Wiltshire but here in New Zealand it isn't. Two of the branches in Australia have ended up with it being spelt Sheargold. Although Henry's documents show Shergold and some of his children show as both it was the following generation where the name seemed to have been confirmed as Sheargold. Certainly makes for interesting researching.
Many thanks for your time and effort- much appreciated
Cheers
VICKI :)

Offline barbet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 September 06 18:25 BST (UK) »
I am new to this chatroom and so maybe this is not the right format!

In my husbands tree is:
Anne Mussell, christened 25/1/1813, daughter of George Mussell & ELIZABETH SHERGOLD.
She married Daniel HARRIS and their daughter went on to marry James BATTEN.

Unfortunately I find SHERGOLD is a common Wilts name and also crops up in the other side of my husbands family with:
James SHERGOLD, born about 1824 (Redlynch) and his wife Louisa.

If you can provide some 'branches' I would appreciate it. Thanks

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 September 06 23:37 BST (UK) »

Hi barbet,

A kind member of Rootschat told me that Elizabeth Shergold was the daughter of John Shergold, b1763 and Elizabeth Harrison, b1763, both of Hale, Hampshire.

I have not looked at the church records from Hale.

Beth