Author Topic: Noah Baldwin Wadhurst  (Read 6700 times)

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Noah Baldwin Wadhurst
« on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Ive been doing quite well tracing my Baldwin family in sussex but Noah Baldwin is confusing me.Census 1841 says he was 55yo born in Wadhurst.That makes him born in 1786 +- 1 year..but according to The Weald records there is a 1851 census record which puts his birth at 1781??..is this the same person?..
Noah married a Lidia/Lydia Smith at Lamberhurst 22/11/1806.
I have been given Noahs fathers name as Wiliam born 1745 who married a Mary CARD but I cannot prove this.It would be great if anyone can confirm this and a fantastic bonus of any of his siblings..Thanks
brown/cope/baldwin

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Noah Baldwin Wadhurst
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't forget that the 1841 census didn't show exact ages, it rounded them up 5 years!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have the reference for him in the 1841, the only Noah I can find was married to Emma and living in Frant and then Tunbridge Wells in 1851 which says he was born in Tonbridge.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
Arr found it

H0107 1116 8/22 page 4

all born in county.  Looking at the sussex marriage index I'm just wondering - there is a William Baldwin who married in Wadhurst in 1762 to Elizabeth Ashby.  Quite early for Noah born 1786 but I wonder if it was rather that one rather than a William from Lamberhurst who married in Tonbridge especially as there seems to be Baldwins in Tonbridge.  Hmmm.

Kerry

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Is this the reference you would like..sorry Im fairly new to this
1841 wadhurst...emuneration dist 2,folio 22 page 4 line 3

Thanks
brown/cope/baldwin

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
The family of William and Mary Card is on the weald site

http://thesussexweald.org/N10.asp?NId=4111208

Noah is not on it, however there is a gap between Lamberhurst 1782 and Wadhurst 1789.

Kerry

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice here.
It is proving difficult to weed out the truth here as there are so many baldwins in Wadhurst area at that time some of which may be brothers/sisters but I cannot proove this...very frustrating having got so far and with so much more information about other Baldwins but no links..I would like to know Im following the right line..Grrrrh..Still its all part of the intrigue...
Terry
brown/cope/baldwin

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 09 12:19 BST (UK) »

Census 1841 says he was 55yo born in Wadhurst.That makes him born in 1786 +- 1 year..but according to The Weald records there is a 1851 census record which puts his birth at 1781??..is this the same person?

Hi Terry,

The enumerators of the 1841 census were supposed to round down (not up) ages over 15 to the nearest lower age divisible by 5.  That's not to say that they always did so, but assuming the enumerator in this case got it right Noah may have been nearly 60 in 1841.  So it's not unreasonable to identify him with a 70-year-old person in 1851.

HTH,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MummyPlant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 May 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

I know this is a bit late and I am new here.   There seem to be lots of Noah Baldwins but the one you are looking at has a father William who is married to a Mary, seems to have died in 1833 (or Mary did- the summary record refers them as spouses ) aged 80 in Wadhurst and had  the following children baptised in Wadhurst: Noah 1784, Uriah 1786, Jesse 1788, Phebe 1789, Mary Ann 1793, Matilda 1796 and David 1798.  The wonderfully named Philadelphia is the daughter of William and Elizabeth so not part of the immediate family I guess.

If you can prove Mary Card I would be really pleased to hear it

All the best

MummyPlant