Author Topic: Softening of the brain - what does this mean?  (Read 38710 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Softening of the brain - what does this mean?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Although softening of the brain was a sign of advanced syphilis, it does not mean that if you had softening of the brain you had advanced syphilis  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all, I think this thread has gone as far as it's likely to do now, so I'll change it to Completed.

Lizzie

Offline Pianoman22407

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 August 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie. Record has it that my second great grand father died from the same. My research has shown that this is a result of a stroke or brain hemorrhage. Best.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  I guess it could have been a brain haemorrhage, my problem is my g.aunt was only 21 when she died.  I'm inclined to believe it was something to do with giving birth less than 6 months before her death.

Offline GenGenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 06:07 GMT (UK) »
 I had access to a book that had old no longer used medical terms and it basically said what I found when I Googled Softening of the Brain tonight.  I am interested because that is the cause of death of one of my great great grandfathers.  Here is what I found: Softening of the Brain, noun, informal archaic. Mental deteriation, especially senile dementia, supposedly resulting from degeneration of the brain tissues.   I think that all the ideas presented in this forum are valid.  I also think that since Alzheimers disease was not understood when this term was being used that this could easily have been what it describes as well.  My father had Alzheimers and we now know that the brain does go through deteriation of the tissues until certain brain processes now longer work.

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Another hypothesis:

Maybe problems with toxaemia during the pregnancy, high blood pressure due to same and post partum problems between delivery and death.

Regards Crowsfeet
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Crowsfeet

It could have been something like that, although it was her 2nd child and usually pre-eclampsia leading to toxaemia happens during the first birth.  Perhaps it did and it was worse with the 2nd pregnancy.  Or perhaps the doctors just didn't know what her problem was.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
On the death certificate I have of one of my g.g.aunts who died aged 21, the cause of death is given as:

"Softening of the brain of 2 months duration"

Has anyone any idea what this means?  I've looked at the usual websites of archaic medical terms but can't find anything meaningful. 

If it is of any consequence, she gave birth to her second child on 23 January 1881 who died on 26 March 1881 from Bronchitis.  My g.g.aunt died on 7 June 1881 about 2 months after the death of her baby.  Although I imagine she was heartbroken at the death of her baby, she did also have a 3 year old son.  Tragically, he too died a couple of months after his mother from peritonitis.

Lizzie
My grandfather died from the at the age of 75. This was in 1903, when I asked my mother what it meant her response " He had gone a bit funny as he got older" suggested confusion or some other type of senile dementia. Other instances and uses of the term have suggested similar conditions. At the age of 21 though it cannot be senility. I have often wondered when doctors were first trained to a reasonable level of professional competence. Even into the early 20th century some certifications make me wonder.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I have often wondered when doctors were first trained to a reasonable level of professional competence. Even into the early 20th century some certifications make me wonder.

I agree, my father's death cert shows he died from Laryngeal Cancer.  Ok he'd had that but was cured (voice box removed and radiotherapy).  He'd also had bowel cancer previously also cured.  In fact he died from prostate cancer which had spread to his bones.  The problem was he had moved into a nursing home about 6 weeks before his death, and despite being signed up to a local GP - about 200 yards across the road - the GP never saw him alive.  So he had to find something to give as cause of death and seeing the tracheostomy in his throat, just decided that would do.  The coroner was more thorough, he spoke to me on the 'phone and asked had my father been ill for some time, I suggested he asked the hospital and his previous GP for their notes, which he did.  Then he 'phoned me again to say there was no need for a PM as it was obvious his death was caused by prostate cancer!!