Author Topic: Finegan and Ledwick's of Meath Co  (Read 6212 times)

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finegan and Ledwick's of Meath Co
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me or give me some kind of direction in finding where my ancestors are from.  I have two families.  Margaret Finegan born about 1822 and her daughter Margeret Finegan born about 1842 and immigrated to the USA in 1850.  That's all I have on them.
Then the Ledwick's.  Hugh Ledwick was born about 1833 and immigrated to the USA in 1851.  A bunch of Ledwick all immigrated from Meath Co Ireland and settled in the USA.
I don't have any other information about either line.  Any help, any help at all would be wonderful.  Thank you.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Finegan and Ledwick's of Meath Co
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you need to know a bit more detail before you start a search in Ireland for your Finegan and Ledwick families - e.g. to check for church records you need to know which town, townland or parish in Co. Meath they lived in. Do you know Margaret snr's maiden name or the names of Hugh's parents ?

see :
   Introduction to Irish Records
   My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Margaret Finegan married Hugh Ledwick in 1856 in USA.  Hugh Ledwick had a brother, Peter Ledwick, born about 1852, that immigrated to USA in 1870.  Both Hugh and Peter Ledwick immigrated alone on the ship to America.  Margaret Finegan came with her mother, Margaret.  That is all I know.  Birth records on familysearch.com does not give the name of any town/village, only that they are all from Meath Co, Ireland.
Same with passenger list, marriage records and death records.  Just lists that they were all born in Meath Co, Ireland.  I am wondering if they might have came from a workhouse or orphanage.  Any idea on how to find out which parish/village they came from?  All were Catholic?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
Same with passenger list, marriage records and death records.  Just lists that they were all born in Meath Co, Ireland.  I am wondering if they might have came from a workhouse or orphanage.  Any idea on how to find out which parish/village they came from? 

do the marriage and death certs not include any details of parents ?

see the 2nd topic in reply#1 above for some ideas for trying to find out where in Co. Meath they came from. The best way to do this is with records in the US after the family left Ireland. Not all parishes have records back to the births for Margaret snr or Hugh, so having a location is vital before you start. Ideally you also need other details to confirm, or rule out, any possible matches - like parents names.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
I went to the church records and that is how I found out that Margaret's maiden name was Finegan.  I only have her mothers name and that is Margaret Finegan.  I don't know how to find their parents names or the parish/village they came from.  No records in Erie, PA that have that information recorded on them.  Just that they came from Meath Co, Ireland.   Thank you for taking the time to talk with me.  I do appreciate it very much.  I am sorry that you can't help me more.  I was hoping for any possible village that the names, Ledwick and Finegan, might be common.  Do you know if maybe they were from Old Castle?  Any Ledwick's or Finegans from the early 1800's live there then?

Offline thebabsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 July 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
1.)Patrick and Margaret (nee Farley) Finnegan immigrated to America in 1851 with their daughter, Margaret.  Margaret, their daughter, was born June 1837 in Meath Co, Ireland.
2.)Margaret Finnegan married Hugh Ledwick in 1856 Erie, Erie, PA. 
3.)Hugh Ledwick was born 1835 in Meath Co., Ireland.  He immigrated to America in 1850.  His fathers name is John Ledwick and his mothers name is unknown.  Hugh has a brother Peter Ledwick, born 20 May 1850, Rathangan, Ireland.

Any help or direction in finding any family or ancestors would be greatly appreciated.