Author Topic: laurence rorke rathbeggan  (Read 4706 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
laurence rorke rathbeggan
« on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
researching laurence rorkes family he was a major landholder in clondalkin ,knockmitten and nangor co dublin. on the tithe applotments his name came up as well for rathbeggan co meath for the same townlands but with the inclusion of Bushy Loaf, i tried googling that name for co meath but nothing comes up other than references to sugar loaf mountains.the reason i wish to find out is his son John Rorke made references to co meath in the 1830s and his death in france 1848 records him as being born in westmeath which could be wrong. has any one from meath ever come across Bushy Loaf,

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: laurence rorke rathbeggan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
Looked at the tithe applotments you mention and Neilstown which is in Clondalkin is on the same page as Busy Loaf but all are under Rathbeggan parish Co Meath. Its very puzzling - but I have heard that some of the townland and parishes have been put into the wrong counties - It seems to me that Bushy Loaf is a townland adjacent to Neilstown and in Clondalkin not in Meath. Going back to the first page of the tithes that are listed under Rathbeggan it says "the applotments of Clondalkin parish in the Diocese of Dublin and Co of Dublin" so it is a mistake to list them under Rathbeggan  I realise this doesn't help you in your search for land of Lawrence Rorke in Meath.  If you are able to get to the National Archives in Bishop St you should be able to see the originals for Clondalkin and Rathbeggan parishes and it might help to clarify things.
Have you seen the reference to Lawrence Rorke' will in 1859? If not here is the link.
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014883/005014883_00171.pdf
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Laurence Rorke in the tithes in Griffinstown Killucan Co Westmeath - He had a large holding.
Link http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625678/004625678_00051.pdf
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
Looked at the tithe applotments you mention and Neilstown which is in Clondalkin is on the same page as Busy Loaf but all are under Rathbeggan parish Co Meath. Its very puzzling - but I have heard that some of the townland and parishes have been put into the wrong counties - It seems to me that Bushy Loaf is a townland adjacent to Neilstown and in Clondalkin not in Meath.

well spotted... seems to be misclassified in the transcriptions. I think it's probably this one...

Townland Name : Bushelloaf   
  Acres : 55   
  Civil Parish : Clondalkin   
  Barony : Uppercross   
  Poor Law Union : Dublin South   
  County : Dublin

some of the other townlands on the same Tithe page match those listed for the parish

entry for the townland on the Placename Database, which mentions alternate spellings including Bushel Loaf land, Bushy Loaf etc

p.s. a Lawrence Rorke esq., appears as immediate lessor of land and a quarry at the same location on Griffith's
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
It's better to search the Applotment books on familiesarch than you find the townland ignore the county, open the image and go to the first image in that group and work forward until you can see what county is on the original.
That's how I found Westmeath townlands listed under Cork.i

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
thank you Annclare, Shanew147 and Sinnan that clears up a lot of confusion,i could'nt understand how he came up for rathbeggan but well spotted on the BUSHEL LOAF and westmeath. re the wills and administrations my brother has actually viewed them some time back and only last week on the european post of roots chat i managed with the excellent help of Jorose a fellow roots chatter to get a copy of their french death certs deciphered for me by Jerose.