Author Topic: Edwin Dunn of Tunbridge Wells marriage 1876  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwin Dunn of Tunbridge Wells marriage 1876
« on: Thursday 25 September 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello: I am looking for any information from a marriage record or newspaper article about the marriage on June 3,1876 of Edwin Dunn, a Commissary with H.M. Army, living in Ireland, to Helen Flora Gillham (1852-1937). Helen was the only daughter of Alfred Morgan Gillham and Emma Gillham, nee Barkworth. The marriage was performed at St Mary's Clonmel,Tipperary, Ireland.

Edwin Dunn and his family moved to Tonbridge Kent (1891 census) and were then living in Tunbridge Wells after that. Edwin died in Tunbridge Wells 1907 but his wife remained in T. Wells until her death there in 1937.

Im trying to establish Edwin date and place of birth and the names of any parents and siblings. Can anyone help please. Some family trees and other records give Edwin born 1832 to 1840 at Chatham,Kent but apart from what is given above I cant find anything out about him before the 1876 marriage except for his military records dating back to 1856.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Dunn of Tunbridge Wells marriage 1876
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 September 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
You might have to get the marriage cerificate to get the name of his father.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
Have you got this?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40233756&ref=acom

His age at death gives a date of birth around 1832

Edwin Dunn
Dec quarter 1907
aged 75
Tonbridge Kent
Volume:   2a
Page:   430

An online tree connected to his son Charles, including a photo, gives his dob as 2 Dec 1832
Chatham, Kent. No references though. The 1891 and 1901 cenuses confirm this POB.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 September 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post here 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700382.new;topicseen#new

My reply on that post

Edwin Dunn and his family moved to Tonbridge Kent (1891 census)

Im trying to establish Edwin date and place of birth and the names of any parents and siblings

His birthyear and birthplace are shown on the 1891 entry

Are any parents names on his marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 September 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
He's on the 1881 census at Beacon Villa,  Rotherfield, Sussex. Aged 40 on that one. RG11/1050 folio 87 page 5
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 September 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen on a family tree that Edwins birth is given as December 2,1832 Chatham but where this information came from hasn't  been established. I contacted the person who posted the tree for an explanation. There is no information on the tree about his parents and if this record came from a birth certificate the name of his mother or father should have been given also. However Im told by a person who did some research about his 1876 marriage that Edwins's father was given as James Dunn (e). Dunne is a common variation of the name. I don't understand whey there is no birth or christening record for Edwin on the Ancestry Uk site. Can anyone find it on another site for me?

Please note that I cannot afford to purchase certificates from the GRO.A copy of any newspaper announcements pertaining to the birth, marriage or death of Edwin Dunn would be appreciated.He was born Dec 2,1832 Chatham, Kent; married June 3,1879 St marys Conmal Tipperary Ireland; died Tunbridge Wells November 1,1907; buried in T. Wells Cemetery Nov, 5,1907.

Im also looking for any information about the following residences of Edwin Dunn in Tunbridge Wells (1) 'Redleaf" Sandhurst Road  (2) "Andenne Oaks' or 'Ardeanne Oaks' at 36 London Road southborough. Also 12 Dry Hill Road in the town of Tonbridge, (abt 5  miles north of T. Wells).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 September 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

What is your connection to Edwin?  Is he part of your FH?  If somebody has purchased the 1876 marriage cert - what other info is on it apart from his fathers name?

Marrying in 1876 and born 1832 (ish) - was he a widower?  What was his fathers occupation? 

If no baptism can be found on FS and if there are no local transcriptions available - you would have to search the various parish records for Chatham for the date given as there were no birthcerts pre-1837 - only entries in parish registers

Have you considered that his birthdate may have been on his army records rather than any baptismal record?

These are the areas covered post-1837 by the Chatham RD

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/chatham.html

The available census info confirms his birthplace as Chatham and he was 75 when he died in 1907 which would support a birthyear of 1832.

I don't understand whey there is no birth or christening record for Edwin on the Ancestry Uk site. Can anyone find it on another site for me?

Not every child was christened and not all baptismal records are available online or for transcription.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 September 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
F/S Submitted Record has his Parents as James DUNN and Lucy Ann Maria DORE

England Marriages, 1538–1973   
marriage:    12 April 1832    Saint John The Evangelist,Lambeth,Surrey,England   
spouse:    Lucy Ann Maria DORE

1841 Census there is a Edwin Dunn c 1833, age 8, a Pupil in St John Hackney, Middlesex. Down as born in County.

1851 there is one who is a Articled Clerk to a Wine Merchant, visiting with the Selbright Family in Islington, Middlesex.
Born c 1833 London.

1851 there is a Lucy DUNN, Widow, Independant, born c 1794 London. With her is a Mary Ann Dore age 60, Sister in Law, Widow. 

1861 this one is down as born c 1801 St Pancras, London;
Frederick N Dore 36
Grace A N Dore    29
Lucy A M Dunn    60, Aunt, Fundholder
Maria Dunn    63, Mother, Widow
Elizabeth Hulland 30
Mary A Scott    25
Emma Hulland    22
Sarah Walker    22

There is a Will for her that may be worth looking into;
It should have info on her Children;
Name:    Lucy Ann Maria Dunn
Probate Date:    2 Apr 1874
Death Date:    14 Jan 1874
Death Place:    Middlesex, England
Registry:    Principal Registry

1871, bad mistranscription!
Fredk R Doe 46
Grace A Doe 39
Lucine M Dunne 77****
James E Kirkgard 34
Elizth Holland 40
Elle Bakes    34
Mary Pefferdin 38
Ellie Pain 23

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 September 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
Ok, have looked at that 1832 Marriage from Parish records on Anc.
James Dunns signature is hardly readable. as is one of the Witnesses. The other Witness is a Maria Dore.

Now it is the same signature as the the Witness on this Marriage (and likely Father of Eleanor);
James Pope PITTMAN, Full Age, Bachelor, Occp Gentleman, Residence St Pancras, Father JOHN Pittman (deceased)
Eleanor DUNN, Full Age, Spinster, Residence St John Waterloo Road, Father JAMES Dunn, Occp Officer in RN (Royal Navy)
Witnesses, Jas Dunn/Anne Ellen Dore

So look to me that James Dunn and Lucy AM had a Daughter Eleanor also.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)