Author Topic: Belston, Methven and Auchtergaven  (Read 16559 times)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belston, Methven and Auchtergaven
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 April 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Good to hear from you.  Timing is everything, they say.

If you should find any snippets of Paton info among your information, please post them - I am at a hard brick wall here and am at the point where I am taking random Paton info from the area amnd hoping it will fit something, somewhere, sometime.  These people kept reusing first names as well.

Thanks!
Holly
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline Diana Aitchison

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 March 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I also have family - Donaldson, Paton, Rorie from this area - Also have some pictures of Belstane which can send you if you wish

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,

Do any of your Patons match up with any of mine?

Cheers,

Holly
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline DR Arathoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly I am researching one John Paton or Patton born Belston 2 Feb 1804 ( ?) married 2 Dec 1850 Margaret Roberton...Belston, Perthshire, Scotland,  I believe his father was John Paton c1777 - 1847  and Jean ?  They came to Barrie, Ontario ...  A lot of Margaret's sibblings were bapt at AUCHTERGAVEN,PERTH,SCOTLAND .... I am sure this family some how connects to yours... if you can please get in touch... I am in Ontario ...

thanks,
David

I hope some of this will be helpful:

Belston Farm (sometimes spelled Belstane) can be found on streetmap.co.uk, by getting the map open at Bankfoot.  Two roads lead west, the lower road goes to Belstane Farm.  It is just past Farkhill and just before Balquharn.

This is the ancestral home of my husband's family, PATON.  One son, Peter, emigrated in the early 1800's to Canada.  I have a fairly complete record after his arrival in Canada, but haven't found anything in Scotland earlier than his birth in 1803 (Auchtergaven).  His parents were Andrew and Anne, his brothers were James, 1794 Auchtergaven, Andrew 1800, Auchtergaven, John 1809, Auchtergaven.

I am sure there were sisters.  I think I found James on the Scottish census with a wife, Catherine, on Prieston Road (alternately given as Auchtergaven and Bankfoot), but none of the others.

I wonder if your Rorie relatives might be connected to my Patons?

Cheers from Canada!
Holly

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 September 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

As luck would have it, I am just looking at your bunch right now (I've been working at them for the last day, taking time out only for sleep, because I seem to be having success and don't want to shut down my computer in case I lose some of my internet history) - and thought I would post a lookup request in here....and there you are!

Here's the connection -

Your John (1777) is brother to my Andrew (1778) (Peter's father)

Your James was still in Belston on the 1851 census.  He and Margaret had another baby girl shortly after the census, old 'Jock O'Belston' died around the same time, and James with Margaret, the new baby, and the 4 little girls from his previous marriage all went to Canada, settling in Vespra.  Before 1839, Andrew's son Peter emigrated to Canada, settling in New Lowell, where he became, amongst other things, the town postmaster.  Your James built a mill for him - and you have probably heard the story, tried to screw him on the price.  James didn't understand Cdn currency, but Margaret did.  He went back to Peter, with his "Irish" up, got his money, and was SO mad, changed his name to PATTON, so no one would know he was related to Peter.  Sorry about that.  LOL.

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here....

Based on Scottish naming traditions of the time, I am going to guess that John and Andrew's father was either James (most likely) or William, and that their mother was Janet.

By the time you reply to this, I hope to have it sussed out.

I have been creeping through the dark corners of the IGI's and will shortly be posting a list of the Auchtergaven Patons births amd marriages.  There are huge gaps in the births and marriages and no deaths.  The LDS site is hard to navigate right now.  They are switching formats and seem to have shut some parts down before the new one has caught up.  So I can't tell if the gap is the fault of LDS or if there is actually missing info.  I found out this morning that the Auchtergaven parish church wasan't built until 1813, so I have hope that there are more records somewhere.

BTW - We are related to the Johnstons (Minesing, I think).  I know you have come across them on the genforum board.  You are closer to them than I, as James who came to Canada is your common ancestor.

I am in BC, where it is finally summer.

potentially useful piece of info - on the 1841 census John and James were not in Belston, and I can't find them.  That's the lookup request I am going to post.  I know this because I found Belston, conveniently misspelled as Bellstown.  Some other James Paton (age 57) was there with some family I don't yet recognize.

What else would you like to know?  I might be able to help.

Cheers!
Holly

Offline DR Arathoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 September 11 00:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Holly , write me PLEASE a note at

davidarathoonstudio   ( at sign here ) sympatico.ca 

I can't stand airing the Patton dirty laundry in public ... LOL

I am in TO ....

yours,
David

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 September 11 02:09 BST (UK) »
check your mail

;D

Offline DR Arathoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 September 11 03:35 BST (UK) »
checked and replied my dear HOLLY !!!

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 September 11 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ozkat,

There is only one Rorey in the Pre-1855 MI's for Auchtergaven.

60 - 1845 - Jas. Rorey in Carneyhill, 26.9.1842, age 70, wife Janet Maxwell, 11.12.1820, age 39, daughter Christina 24.1.1842, age 30.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.