Author Topic: Possible Death of John Ramsay 1839-40  (Read 5050 times)

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Death of John Ramsay 1839-40
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Falkyrn thankyou for this vital piece of information. If the court documents in fact do exist where are they likely to be located. As I am based in Australia what would be the possibility and procedure for accessing them?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
Falkyrn, is this the type of document you mean? www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/research/register-of-neglected-entries.html

DeeWhy, maybe you could add a clip/image here from this entry you have for Alexander?

Also, because you never know where the clues will help most, from Sarah's death cert, the section with the informant's detail (Roger, brother in law) and parents' names, particularly to try to determine Sarah's maiden name. If you need help with this, let us know  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Mary Ann Bell was born?  It looks like her sister Sarah was born in England if the couple showing in Dundee on the 41 census with son Robert age 9 are the pair showing here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XB8M-3V9
If we knew where she was from perhaps it would help to find the family in 51? 

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
Couple of things to add..PO directories
Perth - 1837 through to the 1850s I can only see a James Ramsay (tailor) but he's on Canal Crescent. On South Street there's a Miss Jane Ramsay (teacher).
Dundee - same period also no sign of a John Ramsay (tailor).

William Ramsay (the cabinet maker) also had a daughter called Lilias (one L) same age as the wee lass in Perth.  He is also married to a Mary...and living in the Overgate in Dundee - he's the dependable sort and can be found on the 41 census and in the directories.

I thought the 80+ year old Lilias Ramsay living Dundee on the 41 census might be a Fairweather who married John Ramsay in 1782 but she's  not - that Lilias died in 1834. Not sure who the elderly woman is - don't think she's the Lilias who married George Ramsay in Fowlis in 1775 but she could be and that could her daughter born in Fowlis who dies in 1829 age 50.  You have to think Lilias features here unless it's a huge red herring...

Monday 11 September 1843 ,  Morning Post ,  London, England
Died - "At Dundee on the 28th ult. Miss Lilias Ramsay daughter of the late Sir James Ramsey, Bart of Bamff"

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 15:36 BST (UK) »
Falkyrn, is this the type of document you mean? www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/research/register-of-neglected-entries.html

Yes that's the one ..... I had a vague recollection of such a system but couldn't remember the details. The only legal mechanism I was certain of was a Sheriff's order to insert a birth record over 3 months late in reporting - rather foolishly not realising they were the same thing  :-[

The question is of course why Alexander Ramsay has gone to the bother (and expense) of confirming his birth date and parental details. There could of course be a simple explanation but it does raise some questions.

A quick look at the NAS online catalogue at http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/   doesn't throw up anything obvious neither does the Edinburgh Gazette at https://www.thegazette.co.uk/.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
The only thing that I got from a NAS catalogue search earlier was this entry below. Only noted it because Alexander Ramsay and his future family were initially based in South Shields from 1864, where Alexander and his wife married.

From NAS: Victim Alexander Ramsay, near Lower Thames Street, South Shields, England.
Reference AD14/62/254
Title    Precognition against Mary Grant, Agnes Smith, Margaret Bell for the crime of theft, habit and repute at Craig's Close, near High Street, Edinburgh.
Dates 1862.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your interest.
Mary Ann Bell was born in Angus, Scotland according to the 1841 census.
Thanks for the tip on the PO books I have already checked those and drew a blank.
I have checked with ScotslandsPeople who advise that the documents from which the information was transcribed from for the RNE Register of Neglected Entries for Alexander would be held at the New Register House, Edinburgh and are only available to view in person. Perhaps there is some organisation that I could contact to arrange for a an inspection of the records for a fee. This looks like my only hope of possibly finding information on the death of his father John Ramsay

I have attached a copy of the RNE for Alexander's birth for interest.

Peter

Moderator comment - copyright image removed.