Author Topic: Martha Monk born in about 1805 in Bucks  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Monk born in about 1805 in Bucks
« on: Sunday 13 July 08 07:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of Martha Monk born in about 1805 in Bucks. She married Thomas Rogest in Burnham in 1826. They had a child, Jane Elizabeth born 1827. She was widowed, and then married Thomas Buckland in 1834 with whom she had 10 children from 1831 to 1848.

Skull

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Rogest (Rogets) born in about 1805 in Bucks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census both Thomas and Martha are living in Burnham and Martha gives Burnham as her place of birth which narrows it down a bit Thomas was a widower by 1861. in Burham where the family was in 1841. On the 1851 census all the children were born Burnham with the eldest child Emma aged 17, but on the 1841 census there is another child Louisa then 10.

Emma Buckland
Christening:  26 OCT 1834   Burnham, Buckingham
Father:  Thomas Buckland 
Mother:  Martha Buckland 

Louisa Rogest   
Christening:  21 AUG 1831   Burnham, Buckingham
Father:  Thomas Buckland
Mother:  Martha Rogest 

an earlier child

Jane Elisabeth Rogest
Christening:  13 MAY 1827   Burnham, Buckingham
Father:  Thomas Rogest   
Mother:  Martha Rogest 

No burials for anyone with the surname Rogest or Roget/s showing in Buckinghamshire on the National Burial Index or indeed anywhere between 1826 and 1866 except for one woman for Roget in Huntingdonshire. Nothing on the IGI for the surname in Buckinghamshire other than the two baptisms already given (Burnham marriages are not covered on the IGI after 1812).

Have you found Martha's first marriage in Burnham parish registers to establish her maiden name?
Burnham baptisms are not fully covered on the IGI. I think only from about 1813 onwards probably Bishop Transcripts only and not the actual registers themselves.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 08 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I didn't have Jane Elizabeth Rogest - where did you find her?

From the BHFS marriage database, I have :

Banns
5th April 1834

BUCKLAND Thomas X, wid of this parish
ROGETS Martha X, wid of this parish
Witnesses: Ann Butlar, William Britnell

I shall look up the name Rogest in the Bucks marriage database.  It's an unusual name and it doesn't seem to crop up anywhere else.

Thanks again

Skull

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 July 08 08:00 BST (UK) »
All the baptisms are on the IGI but as far as I can tell any coverage of Burnham's baptisms as I said is only from 1813 onwards.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Regards

Valda

Offline FamilyDigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Me and My Best Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
I can't really add that much, I have all the children who are already listed. Plus
Sophia Buckland
b. 21st October 1838

Lavinia Buckland
20 NOV 1836   
Burnham, Buckingham, England

I cannot find any details on her parent though. Sorry

Day - Dugmore - Evans - Harding - Corbett- Smith - Shropshire,
Day, Dugmore, Brecknell, Adcock - Warwickshire
Black - Comb - Redpath - Henderson - Jacksone - Fortune - Crawford - Smith - Matthews - East Lothian, Berwickshire
Jones - Tattum - Humphreys - Lloyd - Robert, Denbighshire, Flintshire,
Tanser - Bassett - Williams - Humphreys - Lloyd - Roberts - Eales - Matthews -  Leicestershire
Seeking Info On
Thomas Born 1875 B'ham - Need parents info
Leonard Brecknell 1871 B'ham - Parents info

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
Skull,

I have ancestors from Burnham so know from experience that it's impossible to find the Burnham PRs online.

I really would recommend that you contact the FHS

www.bucksfhs.org.uk

and ask them for a name search. The price is very reasonable.

I agree with Valda - you obviously need to locate Martha's first marriage to Thomas Rogest pre 1827. Then, presumably, his burial between 1827 and 1831/4 when Martha appears to have had an illegitimate child in 1831 with Thomas Buckland (Louisa) and then married him in 1834.

When you have her maiden name, you can then ask for a baptism search and, if you go for the one name/100 year period option (if my memory serves me right - only about £2 or £3) you'll hopefully be able to trace her parents etc. (assuming they didn't move to Burnham from elsewhere of course!!)

They're very nice people and do the searches remarkably quickly.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline allisont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
I'll be watching this as they are in my tree (very distantly!).

(I do have a note of a marriage 3/5/1815 between Thomas Buckland bach otp and Jane Neild sp otp by licence. Must have written that down when I borrowed a copy of Burnham PRs from the FHS. Witnesses W. Buckland and Elizabeth Buckland.)

Have to agree about the elusive PRS, wouldn't mind but St Peters Church is only a couple of miles up the road from me!

(Have since twigged who you are and found your tree so you have the above anyway)
Please note: All Census look ups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bucks - Blackman, Elstone, Poole, Rodwell, Bates, Redhead, Lane
Berks - Clark, Redhead
Glos - Kitchener, Higgins
Oxon/London - Burchill, Holiday
Yorks - Crowcroft, Lazenby, Mudd, Jackson, Kiteley

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 July 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
There is no burial for Thomas Rogest/Roget in Burnham or in Buckinghamshire parishes in general covered by the NBI.

Regards

Valda

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 06:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information. The FHS are doing a name search in the marriage database for ROGEST, so I'll wait to see what turns up.

I notice that there is another marriage recorded for a Thomas Buckland in Burnham:

Banns
15 July 1820
BUCKLAND Thomas x, bach otp
LOTHEN Hannah, spin otp
Witnesses: John Rance, Mary Austen, Maria Winter

I had Jane Neild as his first wife (marriage 1815), but maybe Hannah was his first wife.
There were obviously 2 Thomas Bucklands around in Burnham at the time, because for both these marriages, Thomas is listed as a bachelor.

I'm particularly interested in Thomas (1785-1876), christened Bucklin, as he is a direct descendant. My mum is a Buckland from Beaconsfield. I've traced her family back to Thomas's father, Richard Bucklin and his wife Mary (see post 13 July). Their children were variously christened Bucklin and Bucklan.

This is where I am completely stuck. I originally had this Richard and Mary as the descendants of a Marmaduke Buckland (1655) whose family come from the Wexham and Stoke Poges areas, but I was mistaken. This branch of the family features a lot of Marmadukes. One of them shot himself in 1730! I'm still hoping that there is a connection somewhere, as they seem to be an interesting lot - and a lot easier to trace!

Regards

Skull