Author Topic: Marriage between Bernard Davey and Agnes McMullen  (Read 3844 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between Bernard Davey and Agnes McMullen
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 October 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
I do remember reading on one of the links that I sent you that the Ballynahinch records were 'random'.

There seems to have been a LOT of abbreviations used, lack of mother's Christian names used and the the standard illegible handwriting or general age decay of the records.

The are WAY too many other items on that record for it NOT to be the Hugh that you are looking for :

Right Christian name of child, right birth year span, right mother's maiden name, right mother's christian name, right father's surname, right church.

ADD to this the fact that there is NO Hugh Davey / Anne (Agnes) McMullen in the records seems pretty conclusive to me that it should infact say BERNARD.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 October 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Are you getting great leads with the Godparent's names ?

;D ;D ;D

Tara

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 October 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

I think I have found the corresponding baptisms for the children I had on the census, albeit a few years out. Frustrating all but one of the baptisms for Bernard and Annes' children have the mother's name omitted all together.

I found some siblings for Bernard and Anne and had hope to find both of their mothers name to get a little further back but again blank! As for godparents found a far few Davys and McMullans (even the priest appears to be a Mcmullan!) along with loads of other names but not got far on piecing the generations together.

I only found one wedding in whole county down for Hugh McMullan (Anne's father) but was 1789 which appeared to be too early. And as I can't find the mothers name I can't double check. Equally John Davy is too common a name without a spouse name to check with.

There were baptisms listing Hugh McMullan as the father of various children in Co Down in the same period but some a the Roman Catholic Church and others at the Church of Ireland, is it safe to assume these are two different people?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 October 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
HUM

I would stick to the Roman Catholic church for now.

I KNOW people 'altered' their religion for various reasons, but all so far has this family in the RC church, so, for now I would stick with that churches records.

Again though, have you noted down all the Godparent's names ~ I think this is where you will get your best leads, as they will most likely be family members.

Ach, that church kept shocking bad records. You have been unlucky in that regard YET SUPER LUCKY to have gotten so far back with your tree.

Many envy your position  ;D

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 October 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Post Error

Tara