Author Topic: HARRIES family of Brimaston Hall, Hayscastle and Llandigorros, Mathry  (Read 5320 times)

Offline kholman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARRIES family of Brimaston Hall, Hayscastle and Llandigorros, Mathry
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,
I would be very interested to hear from you if you know anything about the Harries family of Brimaston Hall, Hayscastle, and the Harries family of Llandiggoras, Mathy.

My ancestor Thomas Harries married Elizabeth Harries on 26th November 1774 in St Lawrence, Pembrokeshire.  From the marriage settlement it is known that Elizabeth Harries was the daughter of Essex Harries and Margaret, of Llandigorras, Mathry.  Essex died in 1770, and his wife Margaret died in 1774.  If anyone knows more about Essex and Margaret Harries, I would be very glad to hear from you.

Going back to the Thomas Harries who married Elizabeth Harries on 26th November 1774 in St Lawrence , was of Hayscastle and was born about 1748.  According to information contained in a Lease, Thomas was the son of Essex Harries and Elinor Sanders (married 12 Sep 1746 St Mary’s, Haverfordwest).  Essex died in 1791 and Elinor died in 1780.
I believe that Essex, father of Thomas Harries, and Essex, father of Elizabeth Harries, must be related.
Another Lease (dated 1765) shows that the Essex Harries who died in 1791, was the son of Essex Harries of Llandigorras, Mathry.   There is obviously a connection between the Harries family of Hayscastle and Mathy, but I have not been able to find it yet.

Looking at ‘Harries’ wills from Hayscastle, there is one for a Francis Harries (dated 1666) who names his son named Essex.  It was witnessed by Robert Harries and Llewhellin Harries (not the Llewhellin Harries of Tregwynt who was alive around the same time.
A will dated 1714 for Essex Harries of Hayscastle (more than likely the son of Francis Harries) made his will.  Unfortunately this Essex Harries is too old to be the Essex Harries on the top of my tree.  I believe I am missing a generation. 
Would be very grateful to find out anymore information.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIES family of Brimaston Hall, Hayscastle and Llandigorros, Mathry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello kholman

Welcome to RootsChat :).

Do you live in the UK ?.The reason I ask,is I have a Book,Historic Pembrokeshire Homes & Their Families
by Francis Jones

There is a lot of information about all the Harries Families you mention.It can still be purchased.
Take a look at Brawdy Books web site.

Kind regards
omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIES family of Brimaston Hall, Hayscastle and Llandigorros, Mathry
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Essex Harries married Ann Williams at Mathry in 1786
Essex Harries married Lettice Lewis at Llanrhian in 1797
James Harries married Dinah David at Hayscastle 1809

Essex Harries married Anne Griffiths at Camrose 1793
Essex Harries married Mary Morgans at Camrose 1810

Essex Harris married Elinor Sanders at Haverfordwest St Mary 1746

Essex Harries a Farmer of Hayscastle married Mary Thomas at Mathry 27 Oct 1814.
Essex Harries a Farmer of Hayscastle married Margaret Bowen at St Davids 19 June 1821

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015