Author Topic: Regimental Numbers D.L.I  (Read 3076 times)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regimental Numbers D.L.I
« on: Friday 06 April 12 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all, i have a John Willaim McIntosh born West Hartlepool abt 1887.
he can be seen at 1891 RG 12 4049 fol. 58 pg 21 with parents William & Margaret McIntosh,
on the same page is another John McIntosh, born Stockton abt 1889 with parents
William & Elizabeth.
I have attestation papers for my John Willaim McIntosh and he joined up in 1904 to 3rd battalion D.L.I.
At the top of his papers is 6591, this John William McIntosh is definitly my family.
A J W McIntosh was killed in action in 1914, his medal number and Medal card number are for 8946, 2nd battalion, but my family always thought that this J.W. McIntosh was our relative,
could it be the same person.
I have other posts re the general family but this one specific to the Durham Light Infantry.
Please help if you can, all the best Derek :) :D ;)
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Regimental Numbers D.L.I
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek

I think you found the 1904 papers on Findmypast under WO96. These are Militia Attestation Papers, and the Militia (3rd and 4th Battalions) had a completely separate numbering sequence to the Regulars (1st and 2nd Battalions). So it could be the same person.

I am not an expert in the numbering of the DLI but I would guess that 8946 is for a Regular enlisting well before WW1. Have you found him in 1911? A lot of men joined the Militia to see if they could take to army life, and they could leave the Militia to sign up with the Regulars without purchasing their discharge.

The MAP normally says if a man became a Regular. It may be not obvious - something like 'Joined line' and a date. If you do not have this, and you have checked the 'WW1' records on Ancestry you will have to search for men with close numbers. The 'easiest' way is to search on the National Archives medal site - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp - starting with 894?, then 895? and 893? etc. You also need to put durham in the corps box. Make a note of an uncommon name then search on Ancestry. You need to ensure that the soldier enlisted in the 1st or 2nd Battalion; as other battalions would have used 8946.

Note ? is a single wildcard. You could also try a posting on the Great War Forum, putting DLI in the title. A DLI expert may already have the information.

Ken

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
It's a while since I visited, but I do remember that the DLI Museum have a lot of information, I am sure they would be able to help, I found the staff extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks lads, Ken i will ask my friend to look into your answer, and thanks for taking time to help, its been a long mystery that might just be unfolding.
BumbleB i will write off to D.L.I Museum, and thank you also for taking to to reply to me, thanks lads all the best Derek

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Derek
89** numbers look to be around the 04/05year of enlistment also from Soldiers Died the 1914 Casualty Born West Hartlepool,Enlisted Stocton on Tees...

66** Numbers for Regimental numbers to 2nd DLI look like having been issued in 1899/1900 so on Kens info they look like been 2 different sets so although unconfirmed looking good for been same guy...enlisted initially in militia then joined regs.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi again Ady, John William McIntosh joined 1904 we are sure of that,
he was killed in France just a week or two after landing, can you think of a reason why his attestation papers would have one number 6591 and medal card 8946, i was sent his service records at same time and it wasn't until yesterday when pointed out to me different numbers.
All the best Ady Derek :) :D ;)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Derek amended post my thoughts initially militia then into Regs about 1905

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 April 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks Ady ;) iv'e writen off to DLI museum, hopeful i may get an answer after easter, mind you some of the folks here on RCs could come up with an answer 1st.
All the best Ady, Derek :) :D ;)

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
I would check the medal cards again if his service with the DLI was continuous then his number would not have changed at this time.You could have two diiferent men unfortunately.
Best

Jim