Author Topic: Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire  (Read 18811 times)

Offline daviddas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Which branch of the family are you linked too?

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
We have the same common ancestor Kenneth McLean and he had your Kenneth and our Alexander McLean born 1803, I think. He worked in the alum mines for the Earl of Zetland. He had Donald McLean and he had my grandfather William Lawrence McLean.

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Meant to say that he married Jane Wilkinson...the original Kenneth that is. I am sure he is from Scotland. Does the original birth certificate for your Kenneth have any information i.e witnesses etc.

Offline mistermc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello davidas

You sure seem to be part of the same clan descended from Kenneth 1752.  All the info you mention seems to tally.  As woodvillecaz says, the trail ends there for the time being.

Kenneth 1752 is also my 4x Gt G'father > Alexander 1803 > Kenneth 1849 > Kenneth > 1884 > Alexander 1914 (my late G'father).

With a huge amount of help from both woodvillecaz and babygil, I've constructed an ancestry tree which extends to 500+ people now. Anyway, I have your G'father John B of Stockton (now updated to Burdon) and siblings and would be very happy to let you have access to the tree should you be happy to exchange info on some of your ancestors.  I will need your email address so if you email me at ross75 at gmail dot com I can set you up with access. No obligation of course.

Does your mum have many memories about her aunts/uncles?  My great uncle Colin (Alexander 1914's brother) died aged 91 early this year having left me with some pretty strange and wonderful stories about his.

mistermc

PS I was born and live in Surrey but a number of family walking holidays to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales and Moors led us to think of Yorks as another home, ignorant though we were of the long connection.

PPS woodvillecaz - hello - I think babygil was also descended through Kenneth 1792 (like davidas) and then through either George or James.  I will need to refresh my memory :)

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you Mistermc and exciting to have another member of the tree. Thank you for the credit though I think you have put in far more work than us all.

Offline belem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 February 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this site and also seemingly new distant relatives.  And it is good to find the 1750s Kenneth Mclean.  His son, also Kenneth Mclean (born 1793 in Loftus) was my g.g.g.grandfather.  He is listed as first a clerk and later overseer and then retired manager to the alum works in Loftus.  The works I think closed around 1863.  Two of Kenneth (jnr)'s sons, George (my g.g.grandfather) and John were flour millers at Spite Mill (now a house) in Osmotherley.  George married Barbara / Barbra Taylor from Dalton on Tees.  He died around 1863 and just before the birth of his 4th son, George (born 1864), according to my grandmother, of a respiratory illness related to milling.  Did the two sons of Kenneth jnr complete apprenticeships, I ask myself, at the alum works before transferring their skills to grain?  George's widow, Barbara, then moved to Stockton where she ran a grocery business.  She died in 1898.  My great grandfather, another George, is listed as a youth in the census as a millwright, but he is later mentioned as a joiner and worked as a pattern maker at the foundary in Middleton St George.  John Mclean, born 1859 and son of Barbara Taylor and George Mclean apparently was a farmer in Dalton.  Did he inherit Barbara Taylor's family farm?
My grandma (died in mid 1980s) had several stories about the Mcleans 'way back'; that they came originally from the Inverness, that they had something to do with the Argyll estates (tho' I have no proof of this).  Also that the Taylors (as in Barbara) were apparently associated with the Whitby jet trade (tho' again I have no evidence).  I (and my mother) would love to catch up your research so that we can fill in the holes in ours.  Interestingly, just back from visiting my mother's cousin near Thirsk who is the grandaugher of George Mclean the pattern maker in Middleton St George.  She has the family name of Barbara, her father was called Wm Kenneth and her brother Kenneth!

Offline belem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 February 14 09:14 GMT (UK) »
PS other of my grandmother's tales included that someone in the family was a pharmacist and that there were land agents / factors.  These memories might relate to the sons of her great uncle, Alexander brother of Kenneth jnr (her great grandfather) as it is possible that she had knowledge of second cousins - the family seemed quite close and 'clannish'.  She also said that someone was a sea captain.

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 March 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Belem. Just got this reply. Great to see another branch of the tree opening up. Your Grandmother was quite correct in her stories as you can see from the tree. I will forward this info to MisterMc who has the whole tree and he may be in touch for you to be able to see it. He has some post further down this topic which you can read and he has been a great help to me in piecing it all together. Thanks for all the wonderful information. Have you viewed the original birth certificate for Kenneth born 1793 because it may say where his father was born because that is what I would like to ascertain. Where did Kenneth 1750s originate from and how come he ended up in Loftus. Alexander 1803 is where my branch stems from and he and his son worked in the mines too. It would be good to see the mining records and see what information is there. Also loftus had a census 1801 and it says there was a Kenneth Mclean in prison. Could this be your Kenneth's (1793) father? Haven't been able to find a prison record of that either. Lots still to find out.
Thanks again.
Woodvillecaz

Offline belem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 March 14 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for responding so quickly.
No, I haven't seen the birth certificate (did these exist in the 1750s?) and had been working thro' the documents on Ancestry.co.  I stumbled across this site and the thread with delight at the weekend when my mother visited.  I had, however, written to the Loftus Historical Society to see if they knew of any relevant documents / histories and will let you know if I have a reply.  I specifically asked if they knew of a list of indentures for apprentices as somehow, George and John, grandsons of the original Kenneth became flour millers.  I wondered if they had been trained as millers of alum in the quarries.  Also strange that a labourer's family in the late 18th century so quickly became middle class / professionals.  Maybe displacement post Jacobite uprising meant that perhaps an educated original Kenneth had to work with his hands to earn his crust but that aspirations / sense of a place in the world persisted.  I'm also very surprised at how itinerant the family seems to have been; Scotland to North Yorkshire (all over), then London, back to Scotland, Nottingham, etc etc.  Always believed that folk ion the past were very rooted, but maybe once you have been displaced, the roots never dig very deep!
Thanks again and will be watching / contributing over the next wee while