Author Topic: Kilmore Cemetery, Skye.  (Read 3368 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kilmore Cemetery, Skye.
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 10:55 BST (UK) »
I'm heading for a wee drive to Skye soon to try and find an ancestor who died there in 1879. He died in the Parish of Sleat.

I am guessing the burial ground at Kilmore is his final resting place. My question is, as my ancestor was not well off, is there a high likelihood that he was buried in an unmarked grave? What were the costs associated with erecting a headstone in 1879?
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmore Cemetery, Skye.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 15:51 BST (UK) »
You could try the Skye gravestones website (not yet complete apparently) as an initial step - http://www.skyegravestones.co.uk/

Even if your ancestor didn't have a gravestone (and surprisingly poor families often did have one), there could be a surviving lair record giving details of who owned the burial plot and who was buried there.  Try Highland Council's Portree Service Point for a start, you will probably need to ask for Cemeteries - http://www.highland.gov.uk/directory_record/5983/portree

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Council Records only go back to 1930 some of the churches still have old records but most don't.  The contact is Billy Nicolson (TECS).  Some churches have lairholder lists but specific burials are hard to find unless they have a stone.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just been to kilmore cemetery as I also have ancestors there. I will be going back this week as unfortunately my great auntie has just passed away. if you like I could have a look for you if you want to give me details.... My family line are Nicolson, mcinness and MacDonald all from the parish of sleat.
Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,