Author Topic: birth certificat in Co. Louth  (Read 10324 times)

Offline McShane1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blanchefield Blanchfield
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 March 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katecait,

My family is from Dundalk and I went to school in Haggardstown and have relatives buried in the new RC Haggardstown graveyard.  I am not aware of Blanchfield as a Dundalk or Co. Louth surname and all my searches for that name in Co. Louth come up a blank. 

Fairhill as well as being an area in Dundalk was named after the home of one of the Jocelyns, family of the Earl of Roden who was a big landowner of lands around Dundalk and it was one of the big houses in Dundalk and it is possible that your George was working there in 1915 when he married. 

I did a quick search on the IFHF Rootsireland.ie and found no Blanchfields or Blanchefields in baptisms in Co. Louth, but I did find that there is a baptism in Co. Meath for a George Blanchfield in 1883.  Co. Meath is just south of Drogheda and Co. Louth, and this George would have been aged 32 in 1915, and 28 in 1911.  I have found in my own family that ages given on census returns and marriage certificates were rarely correct in the past and since 1883 is only 5 years before 1888, it is possible that this is your George and also that the George Blanchefield that shanew147 found working in 2011 Greenoge, Donaghmore, Co. Meath as a groom aged 26, is also your George, as he could have been looking after horses in Fairhill as well as other duties.  I think you possibly should be looking in Co. Meath for George Blanchfield or Blanchefield.

I also did a search on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie which is a free archive set up by the Irish government (the Dept. of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht), and I found the marriage of a John Blanchfield of Killeen Mills (which is in Dunsany, Co. Meath) to Alice Bradley (of 31 Merrion Sq it looks to me, which is in Dublin 2) on 11/02/1872 in the RC Church of St. Andrew's in Dublin (Westland Row, Dublin 2) at http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/37bf7f0025422 and you can view the original marriage online there.  Their parents were Lawrence and Judith Blanchfield and William and Esther Bradley.  This John could be your George's father.  There are other church records for Blanchefields on the irishgenealogy website.  You should be able to find civil marriage records for these as they are dated after 1864.

I hope this helps.

McShane, Craven, Shoulder, Carroll, Divan or Devine, McGuinness, O'Hagan, Campbell, O'Rourke, Kelly, Carragher, O'Hanlon, Ward, Reynolds, McCourt, McEvoy, Lennon

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificat in Co. Louth
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
As John Blanchfields first son Laurence was born in Clondalkin
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/e360850011843
The Killeen Mills referred to on his marriage are most likely  Paper Mills on Killeen Road.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificat in Co. Louth
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I think the baptism that McShane found in Meath 1883 is most likely your man as Glasnevin if right man has George Blanchfield died 1975 age 93 so born circa 1882.