Author Topic: HALE / HALL  (Read 10662 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HALE / HALL
« on: Friday 22 June 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello chatters, I am trying to confirm and find out more about Mary Ann HALE of Louth, born 1810, convicted in 1832 of stealing a cheese and transported to Australia.  Parents possibly David HALES and mother Bridget HALL.  Had a previous 3 month conviction - assume at Louth.  Also had an aunt, Ann GREEN, convicted (and transported?) about 1825.  I would be grateful for any help please.  Jennifer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: HALE / HALL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 12 09:59 BST (UK) »
You need a bit more detail i.e. denomination, and a parish or town, to start a search for Irish records for your Hale family, particularly with such early dates.

see:  Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane, it is very early days searching for this family.  The only additional information I have is that she was Roman Catholic which doesn't help much. 

I've found that RootsChat enquiries often leapfrog the formal research so it is often the first cast of the net while I look at other ways and means. I might just be lucky enough that someone else is interested in the same family and reads my post.  That has happened once before and solved a 180 year old mystery. 

Thank you for the links.

Jennifer

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Mary Hall aged 23 on ship CAROLINE 1833

This is the site address http://members.pcug.org.au

will not let me back in using this address

if you go through search engine: Google or ask jeeves and type in search box - Irish Convicts to new south wales 1788-1849 Peter Mayberry

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
That site would allow me access either.  What a coincidence the site is run by Peter Mayberry as I had Mary Hale  married to William Mayberry (sometimes shown as Maybury), then a liaison with Samuel Richards, then a marriage to William Dowdie. I'll check out the site now.   I've spent some time over the last couple of days tracking down Mary's story from sentencing onwards and it's quite a tale.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Offline susu1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 13 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaznjj

I come down the line from Elizabeth Mayberry/Maybury, daughter of William Mayberry & Mary Ann Hale/Hall. Mary arrived here in NSW Australia on the "Caroline" in 1833 and William aboard the "Surrey" in 1819 to Tasmania. I do have a lot of info regarding this family here in Aussie land if you would like to contact me. I live in NSW Australia. I'm not sure how I can give you my private email address, or if it is ok by the administrators of Rootschat to do so. Maybe you can tell me how?

Looking forward to hearing from you

:) Susan

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 13 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan, I think you need to have posted at least 3 times in order to be able to send a personal message.  And I also can't respond by PM until you have posted at least 3 times.  So, send a reply to this (which will bring you up to 3+) and we'll see if we can make it work.  I'll still have to remember how to do it!

Very happy to share information.  I am not actually a descendant, it is the family of my ex-husband, but I am doing it on behalf of my children and I am keen to follow up the research I did many years ago. I am in touch with other members of my ex's family who are very interested.  Those family members built on my initial research - and now I'm coming back on board to work with them. 

Regards,
Jennifer

Offline susu1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 March 13 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi jennifer

Thank you for replying to my message, can I ask where are you, UK or Aussie? I would love to hear the interesting story regarding Mary Ann you mentioned. I noticed that you had Mary's 3rd husband as William Dowdy/Dowdey/Dowdie, his name is actually Samuel Dowdie. I do have their marriage cert. & Mary's death certificate etc. if you would like them. Mary died on 23/9/1890 at Coolongolook, NSW. & is buried there at her Daughters husband's private family cemetry, along with Mary Ann and her husband (George Worth). Her parents are listed as David Hales & Bridget Hall on the DC.

Susan

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 March 13 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan, I'm in the Blue Mountains near Sydney.  The descendants I spoke of live in Queensland. They are descended from Sarah Richards who married John Bell in 1878. Sarah was the child of Samuel Richards and Mary Hale/Hall - no marriage on record that we have been able to locate. Yes, would love to see the documents you mention down the track.  In the meantime, I need to look through the file and check what is already there (and get my head around it again).  So, I'll do that this afternoon and get back to you soon.  Jennifer