Author Topic: Young/Stewart families of Ballynameen  (Read 9600 times)

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Young/Stewart families of Ballynameen
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 September 14 01:03 BST (UK) »
I think that makes us third cousins as our great-grandfathers were brothers. I would be interested to know how much you have found out about the Irish Youngs - the ones who didn't immigrate to New Zealand. Another of our cousins has done quite a bit of research into the family - to the extent of visiting Ballynameen and looking in church records.

I am currently travelling around Australia with my husband in our campervan - hope to be home again in early October. But, in the mean-time, internet access (particularly in the Northern Territory where we are now) is not very extensive so it makes communication a bit difficult.

To contact each other via email you need to have made 4 posts to Rootschat, I think, so we could possibly exchange information that way at a later date if you are interested.

Offline Laurie Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 September 14 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuz, I hope you are enjoying your trip. I'm not too knowledgeable about the ones left behind but I don't think there was too much money as I believe it was my great grandfather who paid for the stone in Ballynameen. I wasn't aware a third brother came out and returned to Ireland. I have in the last week found some interesting stuff in Papers Past so it would be good to have a chat at some time.

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 September 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was aware that Robert Young paid for a gravestone to be erected. It listed various family members together with their dates of birth and the age they died. I have a photograph of the gravestone if you are interested. I think that only 2 brothers immigrated to New Zealand, Robert and John. The story my grandmother told was that it was Robert who wanted to go but, at the age of only 17, his mother thought he was too young to travel alone so they paid for John to accompany him. You are descended from Robert and I am a descendant of John Young.

Offline Laurie Murray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 September 14 02:04 BST (UK) »
Yes , I can see why. 17 is a bit young (no pun intended). Are you aware that there is a Young family reunion at Longlands in Matamata on 26th October 11:30 - 3:30 ? It sounds like something you need to attend. My brother and I have booked to go and another brother might if I can get hold of him. $45 a head. You said you might be back by early October. I'll certainly learn a lot more there from people old enough to have known the brothers.

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 September 14 03:22 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't live in New Zealand! Now that you have made 4 posts, I will attempt to send you a direct email.

Offline rayjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hello All, Interested in information regarding the Young families from Cardrona, Otago.

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 April 15 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, You have the right Young family here. John and Robert Young sailed from Ireland to New Zealand and landed in 1884 in the middle of the Otago gold rushes. They went straight to Cardrona hoping to make their fortunes but only managed to scrape enough together to survive. The Young brothers stayed on in Cardrona; both married and had families there. John married Henrietta Barker and had 6 children; Robert married Mary McPhee and also had 6 children. They continued to look for gold but eventually Robert moved his family to Taranaki to try his hand at share milking (early 1900s.) John and his family followed and moved to Toko, also milking cows. My grandmother remembered that this was very hard work - milking 60 to 70 cows by hand! Then, in 1905, the government was balloting land near Otorohanga and both families moved there. Some of John Young's descendants still live there. Robert Young's family ended up at Matamata.

Offline rayjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 April 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I have been asked to give some information to the local historical society. I would like to run this past you if I may. Can you contact me direct. I will break my email address to prevent machine trolling. (*)
I am off to Gallipoli tuesday.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline YoungClan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 04:09 GMT (UK) »
I am a Great grand son of John Young & Grand son of Thomas Edwin Young. I am very interested in contact with family.