Author Topic: Mary Jane Bissett - Dublin - abt 1867  (Read 10632 times)

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jane Bissett - Dublin - abt 1867
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 06:11 BST (UK) »
Looking for parent or sibling information for Mary Jane Bissett.
Born abt 1867 in Dublin, Ireland.

Her father's name was John Bissett. No further family information.

She may have been born earlier or later than 1867 - but this is the most accurate date I have.

She first married a Henry Leonard Graham, who was in the military, and born in England. There is a marriage certificate for them in 1885 in Dublin, and in 1886 in Brighton, England.

Henry and Mary later lived in India and had 4 sons. Her first husband died in 1893.

Mary then married for a second time - to a Henry Stewart. Marriage took place in India in 1894 (She used a different middle name, stating her name as being "Mary Pauline Bissett"). Witnesses to the marriage were John and Margaret McDonagh.
Henry Stewart's father was Walter Stewart. Don't know their nationality. Assume this Henry was also in the military.
The family returned to England around 1900.

She had 3 children with Henry Stewart - 2 of which were born in India - but had their births registered in Ireland.

I'd appreciate any help on how to trace where Mary lived between her birth and her first marriage, and her parents/siblings names.....
Finding it difficult to get any info at all. Not sure where else to look...

Also, if her children with her second husband were born in India, but the births were registered in Ireland, does this mean that her second husband was also from Ireland?

Thank you!

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Bissett - Dublin - abt 1867
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

The British India Collection shows  baptisms for 1) Maria Pearl and 2)Henry Arthur Stewart. Father Henry Stewart is recorded as Farrier Sergt. 5th Irish Lancers. On Maria's mother is recorded as Mary but on Henry Arthur's she is Mary_Pauline.

A tree on Ancestry has her name as Mary Jane Pauline Bisset. Chris Patons blog "British Genes" might provide ideas for searching for Irish records.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that William. It gives me a few clues.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

Did you actually get the Dublin marriage certificate ?

It's unusual for there to be TWO marriages for the same couple !

Where did you get that her father's name was JOHN and that her birthplace was DUBLIN ?

Tara

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Her birthplace of Dublin comes from the 1901 and 1911 UK census. She is living in the Aldershot area with her children.

Her father's name of John came from the marriage certificate of her second marriage to Henry Stewart in India in 1894.

Yes I thought it was unusual for there to be 2 marriage records for the same people. Especially a year apart.
On ancestry there are two records from her first marriage to Henry Leonard Graham. One is registered in Dublin south in 1885 and one record is from 1886 registered in Brighton England.

She also registered 2 of her childens births in Dublin even though they were born in India. Maybe this is normal practice but I don't know?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Just one more question HA !

What was given as her father's occupation ?

Tara

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
 :)

I don't know. I've only accessed the certificate online. Don't have a copy of it but will do. So I will check. There is no occupation given online.

Thanks for your replies Tara.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think you need to get some ACTUAL paperwork now.

It's the only way to get more leads.

If you get the 1885 Irish one it will give her father's occupation and her address at the time of her marriage.

Both these should give good leads.

The reason why I would like a father's occupation is that give her marrying military men it's possible that her father was also a military man.

This COULD mean that she may have been born in Dublin but not necessarily have lived there - the family may have moved around as is the norm for military families.

There were 2 Bissett families in and around the Moss St. area of Dublin in the time period that you are talking about - again though you would need the Irish marriage cert to see if there is a connection.

There was also a military John Bissett whom had a daughter in Dublin - another possible lead should you get more info !

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/322d960285793

Do you know what religion Mary was ?

Tara

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 21:01 BST (UK) »
Yes she was Catholic.

Yes I am getting a couple of certificate copies sent to me. I just live far away.... But with Mary I think I've gone as far as I can online.

Thanks  :)