Author Topic: Find my past " free credits"  (Read 2362 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Find my past " free credits"
« on: Wednesday 14 August 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
 Had an  email today telling me to claim 40 free credits.
When I tried to activate the code I get this.
If they know I am a past member why bother contacting me with the offer ??
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this introductory offer. This is either because the offer code has expired, or because you, or someone who uses your computer or shares your email account, has already activated one of our introductory offer codes in the past.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Find my past " free credits"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Yep, happened to me too  :(

Sad - but at least i managed to get the free one's last time so i shouldn't complain too much  ;)
Aspinall-Lancashire and Canada,
Dickinson-Lancashire and Canada,
Noon-Warwickshire,
Parr-Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire
Reeves-Staffs and Warwickshire,
Viggers-Oxfordshire and Warwickshire,

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 12:01 BST (UK) »
Same happened to me. I have emailed them to see what they have to say. No reply received yet.
Tofgem

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
Got the same e-mail, was going to make use of this "offer" but as a previous user will probably get the same answer so don't think I'll bother now. Still debating wheather to re-new subscription with FindMyPast or go back to Ancestry.....

BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Reply received:
"Good afternoon,
Thank you for your query.
The newsletter is sent out to all customers who have registered an account and have agreed to receive updates or newsletters from Find My Past.
As it does advise however at the foot of that newsletter, this is a special introductory offer for newcomers to findmypast.co.uk, so you won't be able to claim it if you've used one of our free credit codes in the past."

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 15:12 BST (UK) »
Same here . Very misleading to say the least

Thank you for your query.
The newsletter is sent out to all customers who have registered an account and have agreed to receive updates or newsletters from Find My Past.

As it does advise however at the foot of that newsletter, this is a special introductory offer for newcomers to findmypast.co.uk, so you won't be able to claim it if you've used one of our free credit codes in the past.
Kind Regards,
Vicky Stepien
Findmypast
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
I received that email too - and spent ages fiddling round thinking I was doing something wrong and wondering why the 40 free credits weren't showing in my account, before realizing that it was only an offer for those who had not taken up any free credits in the past.

I think it is fine to offer incentives to new members, but surely the vast majority who have registered with FindMyPast and opt to receive emails have received previous offers as well.

I thought it very misleading and think they should have made it clear in the email and on the site that the offer was only for those who had never taken up any free credits in the past.

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 06:50 BST (UK) »
I'm totally fed up with FindMyPast.   (This is apart from the fact their search facility is so bad.)
I got the one euro offer for a month on their Irish records and then went on to pay for the one pound offer on UK records. Paid for both.
A day later I see that my Irish access has 'expired', and the only reason I could think of was that you couldn't have both.  In which case, why didn't their site stop me when I was paying a second time?
So I wrote to them and they confirmed it, no explanation as to why this was not made clear (and why they would even have to go to the bother of refunding and dealing with irritated customers).
I did write back saying that if any thought had gone into it at all, they might have left me with my first choice (Irish) and taken off what was clearly a second choice (UK). But no, I'm stuck with my second choice.
No reply from them obviously.