Author Topic: More detailed parish records - is there a word for them?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: More detailed parish records - is there a word for them?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
Erm, the Dean? On behalf of the Bishop?
The parish priest's duties included going around the parish each year, compiling a  census, checking on the education and upbringing of children, the behaviour of parishioners and ownership of religious books. This information was entered in a special book.

I see what you mean though, you think it would have to be named after the ultimate purpose, as opposed to just a content description?

It also seems to be called something like "a register of souls" and "household examinations records".
------

No, I don't think that there was any national equivalent in England. This is in a Nordic country. I just think that I have seen similar records in a "Parish Chest" collection where a vicar kept his own records in detail.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Yes I have come across on in a village in Lincolnshire and I called it a "village/parish census" although it gives far more information than any census I have looked at and is the only way I have been able to prove several events.

The particular family I was researching head of house ( widow) named all her children including those married and living elsewhere and their children ( her grandchildren) and the best bit was she named the mother( including her 'new' married name) of an illegitimate grandchild that had always lived with her, this was great as prior it could have been daughters Eliza or Elizabeth who was the mother both of which worked together in the same household as servants were close in age, so leaving few clues
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.
OK, at least I have a few ideas to throw at the people behind this  :) I can let them decide!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
I've seen something similar described as a parochial survey, it contained name of head of house, number of sons/daughters/servants/lodgers and details of religious denomination and church/chapel attendance and if bibles or prayer books were owned. There were also some more personal comments such as "ignorant, godless and poor".
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
I've seen something similar described as a parochial survey, it contained name of head of house, number of sons/daughters/servants/lodgers and details of religious denomination and church/chapel attendance and if bibles or prayer books were owned. There were also some more personal comments such as "ignorant, godless and poor".

That sounds exactly right  :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
.......There were also some more personal comments such as "ignorant, godless and poor".

Gardener, you know me so well!  ;D
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
.......There were also some more personal comments such as "ignorant, godless and poor".

Gardener, you know me so well!  ;D

I was thinking more of my own family history...

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
Inquisition maybe
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
Inquisition maybe
  ;D ;D ;D ;D I'm sure it would have felt like that
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend