Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93210 times)

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:49 GMT (UK) »
My family were the same about using the word gypsy. I think as long as it isn't meant badly it is ok for people to use it. It certainly doesn't offend me (unless it is used to offend) and I use it every now and again if it makes more sense than to use rom or traveller but I use it sparingly.
I just remind myself of the etymology of the word and it's a sweet story, pretending to be Egyptian royalty so people would accept them.  :)
My family settled a long while ago but most carried on marrying other romanies who had settled in the same area. 
I hope I don't offend anyone when I use it but sometimes it is just easier. :-[

Oh and wood-gnome your family definitely sound like they are romani.  :)
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:
ANDERSON, KILLOUGH, MACCORMACK, MACROBERTS, MORTON, MOORE, WALLACE

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 22:16 GMT (UK) »
i see you have orchards in your line.i wonder if any are related to us.were they from somerset/devon?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 22:22 GMT (UK) »
i see you have orchards in your line.i wonder if any are related to us.were they from somerset/devon?

My Orchard (Mary) came from Heytesbury, Wiltshire (I only know of one Orchard sadly). Heytesbury is right on the border with Somerset.
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
i will have a look and see if shes in my tree.i have 719 names in the tree so it make take me awhile.i will get back on this link tomorrow.who are your travellers in somerset?

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 22:38 GMT (UK) »
well i have a mary orchard from wiltshire in my tree.can you give me any dates or marriage or oerants and we will see if its the same one.regards cathayb

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 March 08 14:24 GMT (UK) »
well i have a mary orchard from wiltshire in my tree.can you give me any dates or marriage or oerants and we will see if its the same one.regards cathayb

She is quite far back...I will go check. She was born c.1700 in Heytesbury although I think she married in Fisherton Anger (can't find her husband for some reason ???). Her father might have been called John (soooo helpful I know ::)).
Thank you for looking. :)
Romany/Traveller:

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:

Irish:

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 March 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The child who died in the caravan fire was called Colin Waite Hunter I think he was named after my Grandfather Harry Hunter's Uncle Colin and his Grandmother's maiden name, but the only Dinah Waite I can find the same age comes from York and on the 1871 census it says she was born in Driffield or Sheffield then the 1881 census says Leeds can't find any marriage certificate "if there is one". On my my Grandmother's marriage certificate it says Harry Hunter was a widower, don't know who he was married to before but my Grandmother had her first child to him in 1912 and went on to have 7 more before they got married in 1933 and then 1 more after they were married. My GGrandmother was born in a tent she was called Isabella Stewart she was born in Ripon and her father was called George he was born in Preston in a tent and died in a tent in Addingham. He was married to a Constance Grey she was born in Otley. Can't find any info on her.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 March 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathyayb, I took your advice and posted a message on Romanygenes just waiting to see if I get any replies. Thanks for the tip. Paul.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 March 08 14:29 GMT (UK) »
okay i got a message from my friend robert dawson a recogniesed authority on gypsies and yes both your hunts and banks and hunters are gypsies.welcome to the family.he suggested you look for the hunts around gloucester aswell as there are two distinct clans of them.remeber gypsies travel so you could find them anywhere.i suggest you arrange a scavenger hunt on here with tephra.the people that partake in them are excellant researchers on gypsies and also that you join the rtfhs.its only 8 pounds a year and they will also all help.if i can do anymore let me know.cathayb.grays are travellers aswell.stewart proably shows a connection to scottish travellers.