Author Topic: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham  (Read 47898 times)

Offline manishen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham
« on: Wednesday 23 September 09 10:23 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any Varey ancestors, travellers/horse dealers/pot hawkers around Lancashire/Cumbria/Westmorland/Yorkshire areas around the late 19th century?

In particular I'm looking for information on Sarah Jane Cunningham, married to Joseph Varey, both born about 1870 in Lancashire. In the 1901 census they are living in Kendal; in 1911 they are in Blackpool, with a Lizzie Cunningham who is possibly Sarah's mum (in 1901 she is also in Kendal, living nearby with husband Andrew).
Grateful for any info.
Varey, Cunningham, Young, Swales, Forest, Morrison, Ross, Miller: travellers and earthenware dealers across lancs, Cumbria, Westmorland, Yorkshire, Durham, Northumberland

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,Do you have any idea who Josephs parents were,or the names of his and Elizabeths children,
thanks
Paton,Clark, Campbell,Mitchell,Anderson. Ayrshire.
Clark,McGowan,Ruddoch[Riddock]Ayrshire,Ireland
Croan Edinburgh
Swales,Robertson,Cunningham,Varey,Forrest,Knowles,Young,Gordon.
Travelers England and Scotland

Offline manishen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Magpie28. It is pretty confusing as there are a number of Joseph Vareys all around the same age and probably cousins, but I am pretty sure this Joseph's parents were James Varey (b.1847, Foulridge) and Martha Varey (nee Varey) (b.1850, Lancashire). Joseph and Sarah's children were Hannah, Jemima, James, Mary, Thomas, Agnes, Nancie, Enoch, Frances (not all survived to adulthood).

Joseph & Sarah's daughter Mary also married a Varey (Isaac, b.1896 in Whitehaven - also a bit confusing as he had a cousin Isaac Varey of around the same age. The 1896 Isaac's parents were John Varey 1870 Colne & Margaret Miller 1871 Brampton).

You and I seem to have quite a few traveller names in common in our family trees, but the site won't let me pm you yet as I haven't made enough posts!
Varey, Cunningham, Young, Swales, Forest, Morrison, Ross, Miller: travellers and earthenware dealers across lancs, Cumbria, Westmorland, Yorkshire, Durham, Northumberland

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply,I tried to pm you before I sent the post,now I know why I could not send it.My gggrandmother was called Elizabeth Varey,her parents were Joseph Varey and Christiana Forrest.I dont know for sure but James born [1848] could be her brother,in the 1881 census James was in Prescot Lancs,and two doors away was Jacob Varey who I know is my gggrandmothers brother,when I can pm you I will give you more info.

Paton,Clark, Campbell,Mitchell,Anderson. Ayrshire.
Clark,McGowan,Ruddoch[Riddock]Ayrshire,Ireland
Croan Edinburgh
Swales,Robertson,Cunningham,Varey,Forrest,Knowles,Young,Gordon.
Travelers England and Scotland

Offline manishen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Magpie28, Yes, I have Joseph's father James' parents as Joseph Varey (1820) and Christiana Forest (1823), looks like we have the same family. I will post some more to get up my quota so we can pm.

Offline northern girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
I've noticed the Vary/Varey name cropping up in the Davey/Davy family in East Yorkshire.  The Davey's were  Earthenware sellers and also Coal merchants. Anne Davey married into the Swales family from Kirkbymoorside.

Also the name Vary crops up in the Barr family, one of whom is related through marriage to the Davey family from North Cave. 

Annoyingly, i cannot link up the Davey families......although i think they may be related.

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,I also have a Joseph Varey in my family, married to a Florence Wilson,I think Joseph was born circa 1900.havent researched the Varey link yet as trying to concentrate on Wilson side.

Also have Cunningham,Forrest,Swales families to name a few in my traveller side of families,All around Yorkshire

As I mentioned I am trying to research my Wilson side which I am finding difficult, I have a Wilson marrying a Wilson.

Jane Ann Wilson marrying Abraham Wilson,Abraham,s  father was James Wilson and mother was Annie Lee,Abraham was born around 1898 in Stockton on Tees.

Jane Ann,s parents were Thomas Wilson and Margaret Jamieson.

All families were Hawkers,Horse dealers or general dealers, and most travelled all over Yorkshire and borders area.

Flora
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 09 23:16 BST (UK) »
Ps forgot to say that Abraham Wilson on marriage certificate stayed in Blackburn, not sure yet if Blackburn Lancashire or the one in Scotland, which I think is in Lanarkshire.

Flora
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 January 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
re varey, flora brooks. the wilsons you mention ,are my gg parents. both buried in carlisle.i have photos of annie at a camp fire with her sons.living wagon behind.olso related to vareys,have them at my gg fathers 1881census bury back geogeana st.my famliy are mitchells earthenwares hawkers etc.i traced them back to todmorden 1790.all travellers.but i could not find my wilson side,if you have any info it would be cushty.rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .