Author Topic: please can you reccomend the best sites for searching out gypsys/travellers  (Read 6979 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: please can you recommend the best sites for searching out gypsys/travellers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 12 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Try this book - available on Amazon and elsewhere, or from your library:

Sharon Sillers Floate: My Ancestors Were Gypsies, Society of Genealogists 2010, ISBN 9781859514016
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: please can you reccomend the best sites for searching out gypsys/travellers
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
yes a excellant read.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
With reference to Reply #5 above, a big “thank you” to aa1webb for making my three letters available to enquirers although they are now obsolete because a decision has been reached. As the (whether you like it or not) leader in this subject, I am obliged to let those tracing gipsy ancestry know that they require a pool of information that is very much larger than that which is available on the internet.

Reply #5 appeared because I asked aa1webb to let others know that I wished to distribute my database free of charge.

In recent years I have brought my family history project to a tidy conclusion by compressing it into an 1,100 page searchable PDF file which can easily be circulated by e-mail. It contains about 50,000 baptisms, marriages, burials, etc., covering all gipsy & traveller families traditionally based in England & Wales. Almost all of the details have been checked at source so the product is of high quality. There has never before been anything like it and nobody is ever going to have enough time to repeat it.

I have since received no responses and I have therefore decided to withdraw the offer. No copies will be deposited at the British Library as would normally be the case under the terms of ‘legal deposit’. My project is too large to print, too heavy to carry in paper form, and too expensive to post. It is therefore not publishable. A tiny amount of interest shown in it over the last two months would probably have procured the applicant the gift of forty years of skilled research but the community now needs to become aware that it is slipping away from them.

TL

Offline biz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 January 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
with regards to the original post
there is a lady called Romany Rose who helps on one or two of the free sites she`s great at what she does and has helped several people over the years
sorry but cannot remember which sites =perhaps another member may have come across her
gould/higton/blood/else/slack/doxey/DERBYSHIRE....park/rankin/patterson/king/millar(miller)/SCOTLAND...hughes IRELAND ...walkerNOTTINGHAMSHIRE/LEEDS/LONDON

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 January 14 13:06 GMT (UK) »
King otg,

Reply #5 appeared because I asked aa1webb to let others know that I wished to distribute my database free of charge.

Hi am I being silly? what about placing your research with the family search people. Then it would be available for all to see and in years to come.
I am amazed that no-one contacted
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 January 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Murrell,

If you read the thread "Name the Church" (last post was September 2013) there are parts at the start and end which you might find useful. I have split the database into six regional indexes and deposited a copy of each at several selected Record Offices so that anybody can see them under certain restrictions.

Though I say it myself, my database is the best and most comprehensive there has ever been (and it is still growing fast) but it is not suited to familysearch, ancestry or findmypast for one very good reason. I have collected much of the gipsy and traveller information together in one file. The various genealogical organisations are wonderfully useful but they are less personal and they do the opposite of what I have done by indexing the data in such a way that it would take a lifetime to put it back together again.

I could count on one hand the number of people who have shown that they realise what a bombshell my work is. People just cannot grasp how much information I have gathered together for you and your contacts.

All the best

TL

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
RTFHS (join them), Romanygenes, this site of course, Travellers Times magazine, Romanyjib. Also put your queries on Curious Fox and Cousin Connect. (Free). You can do a free tree on Genes Reunited. Also Romany Star if you can find her :)
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).