Author Topic: Do you know of any Dallow travellers?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline elwellknight

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do you know of any Dallow travellers?
« on: Tuesday 21 January 14 13:28 GMT (UK) »
As a child I can recall being told that we had Dallow family members who were travellers. The Dallow's originally were boat people who were sometimes called water gypsies. They became land based in Worcestershire in the early 1800's living in Stourport (Lower Mitton) & Droitwich. I do not know which part of the family became land gypsies & would love to know more.
If anyone has knowledge of any travellers with the surname Dallow I would welcome contact please.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know of any Dallow travellers?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 January 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I see you have not received any response. So hope this helps. There's no such thing as a water Romany . It's just a name. But your ancestors may have married into some gypsy family. I have travelled all over the country as a full blood traveller myself.  I haven't heard of a dallow.  but that is not to say there are none. Lots of romany folk change names. If a gorgio./ non travellers.  Marry in. The man often takes the women's surname. Try looking for a gypsy sounding name. or occupation. In the marriage of your people. It has been a help to others so give it a go. . Cushty bock. .good luck. Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know of any Dallow travellers?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 January 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found this on the Romany Genes Site.

1825 Monday, 1 August Bristol Mercury 1822 –
ASSIZE INTELLIGENCE – At Worcester, sentence of death was recorded against Fanny and Eliz. DALLOW (mother and daughter, and gypsies) for stealing, near Tenbury, a pony, which though worth 10/- they sold at Upton-on-Severn for 4/-. They were both in custody before, on a charge of stealing a cow, but were acquitted.

This is the link for it  http://romanygenes.com/#/newspaper-articles-4/4534265129
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland