Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 204447 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:39 BST (UK) »
Harry, thank you for the info on the Morrisons (butcher shop). If I can help you with anything, please let me know.

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Jintyjo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, Im helping my mum try and retrace her family history, she was born in Duntocher, her name was Margaret Morgan.  Her Father was Aurthur Morgan born in 1924 in Duntocher and his parents were Patrick Morgan and Jessie Black. We are hoping to find out if they were born in Duntocher, we gues it would have been around the late 1800's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jo x

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
Have you looked for Patrick & Jessie's marriage on Scotlandspeople?  That would be a good place to start.  Lots of info on a marriage cert - age, occupation, parents.
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Jintyjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 October 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Failed to pull any information from Scotlands people as my mum is unsure of their marriage date. My mums granfather Patrick Morgan was murdered in Duntocher, and we are also unsure as to the exact date. We are going to the Mitchell library today to look at old newspapers. Hopefully we might get some dates for his death. Thanks for your reply. Jo x

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 October 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
there are some Morgans at 19 New Street in the 1901 census - are these yours?

Arthur Morgan abt 1866  Ireland  Head  Old Kilpatrick  Dumbartonshire 

Arthur Morgan abt 1897  Duntocher, Dumbartonshire  Son  Old Kilpatrick  Dumbartonshire 

Mary Morgan abt 1851  Duntocher, Dumbartonshire  Wife  Old Kilpatrick  Dumbartonshire 

Patrick Morgan  abt 1900  Duntocher, Dumbartonshire  Son  Old Kilpatrick  Dumbartonshire 
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Jintyjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 October 07 20:02 BST (UK) »
hi debbie...thank you so much for that information..it does sound like the same family...i was at the Mitchell's library all day today looking at some newspapers to see if i could find some information as patrick morgan my grandfather  was murdered at aged 42...it was very hard as i did not have dates...we will go on the census and see what we can find... i would be grateful with any advise you can give me as i have only had my computer a few month... i am in duntocher visiting my daughter jo until sunday she found me this site and she has forwarded it to my computer for when i get home  thank you once again...marjie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 October 07 20:21 BST (UK) »
hi Marjie & Jo,

Why not try scotlandspeople for Patrick Morgan's death certificate?

I had a spare credit, so I just checked for Patrick Morgan, DNB. and there are 4 results -

1 1903 MORGAN ANDREW PATRICK     M 34 OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0104

2 1873 MORGAN PATRICK     M 0 DUMBARTON /DUNBARTON 496/00 0122

3 1927 MORGAN PATRICK     M 78 NEW OR EAST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 500/01 0007

4 1944 MORGAN PATRICK     M 44 OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0197

is he one of them?  My bet is number 4!
And as you say he was abt. 42 when he died, that makes the 1 year old in the 1901 census for Duntocher a good candidate to be your Patrick.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 October 07 20:27 BST (UK) »
and here are the only 2 Patrick Morgan marriages in Old Kilpatrick between 1916 and 1931.  Looks like your Jessie may have used the name McArthur instead of Black?

1 1921 MORGAN PATRICK MCARTHUR JESSIE OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0112

2 1922 MORGAN PATRICK NEIL WINIFRED OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0016

And finally - with my very last credit!!

Here is the possible marriage between Patrick's parents Arthur and Mary in Duntocher -

1 1887 MORGAN ARTHUR & SMITH MARY OLD OR WEST KILPATRICK /DUNBARTON 501/00 0039

Now you can find the family in the 1891 census.  Looks like Mary Smith was born in Duntocher, so you should be able to find her in the 1881 census easily as well.

Hope all this has set you on your way!  Good luck with the research, and make sure you keep us all updated on your findings.

Offline Jintyjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 October 07 23:41 BST (UK) »
hi debbie..oh my goodness..i met my aunty betty the other day who is 81...i asked her a few questions about the family and one of the things she said was that my granny jessie was relay MacArthur but she was brought up by her granny and that is why she used the name black..this is so exiting i cannot believe you have taken me so far...please please let me send you some credits just tell me how to do it and i will feel so much better after what you have done for me...i will definitely be keeping in touch with you debbie as i dont know anyone else to ask if i need help...i want to find out all about why my g dad was murdered and and find out who are in my family tree...you are a gem...i am so grateful...much love from marjie