Author Topic: Keane Family from Portmagee  (Read 11316 times)

Offline tanyala

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keane Family from Portmagee
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
I was able to obtain additional information from my mother, my grandmother ellen keane was born in 1921. Her parents were John Keane and Mollie Casey. She had a sister Nora who married a Falvey and remained in Portmagee and a sister Mary (keane) Finn who moved to England. She also had a brother name Michael who I believe passed away when he was Young. Any additional information on relatives still living in the área would be great. Thank you

Offline Woodford87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,
It is wonderful to actually hear from someone related to me!

I do not know if there are any living relatives in the area. I believe Nora and Jackie had children. They may be still in the area. There is a heritage centre on Valentia Island and you may be able to get more information. When I tried, the information available was quite limited. I met Nora and Jackie many years ago. You may know more about them than me. Do you know any more about the family and the siblings of John and his father, also John? I know a little but I do not want to tell you what you may already know, but I will be happy to give you what I can.

Offline tanyala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
That is great, are you related on the Keane side of the family or the Casey side of the family? I only heard of Nora whom my mother met many years ago. I never had the chance to meet her or her family. I don´t have any further information on my great grandfather John nor his family. My grandmother was a war bride and married my grandfather a canadian soldier in England during the 2nd world war and moved to Canada. I was told however that the owners of Casey´s boat tours of Skellig Island are relatives but I have never met them, I hope to do so during my visit. Thank you for the info regarding the heritage center, I will look this up next month.

Offline tanyala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 09:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Woodford87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Further information concerning your family. I am related to the Keanes. I do not know much about the Casey family. The details you find in the Census for 1901 and 1911 relates to Ellen's grandfather, John Snr. He lived in the family home and took over ownership from his mother. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000858296/ and http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Portmagee/Portmagee_Town/105278/. I have been told this house was by the water's edge and the house by the bridge is a different house which was built by John Jnr when he got married. I have been in the house when John's brother lived there. My mother nor I remember it being pink.

My link to you is through John Snr.'s sister, Ellen. Your grandmother was called after her. It seems the family would also call your grandmother Nell.

There are strong links with Valentia Island. I think John Snr's mother came from there but John's father was from the Portmagee area. I can go back a little further but not much.

I will send you by private message your direct ancestors (as much as I know it). If you have more information about the family, I would appreciate it.

Any queries, please contact me.