Author Topic: Mitton, Henry born 1841 - Shrewsbury  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Miranda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mitton, Henry born 1841 - Shrewsbury
« on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have been researching my Great great grandfather on and off for a while and I am now completely stuck! I live abroad currently and so it's impossible for me to go to the local archives at the moment.
Here is the story so far....deep breath: 
Henry Mitton was born to George Mitton and Martha Evans on 24 June 1841.  Baptised in July 1841. Lived in Shrewsbury 1851 and in 1861 was living in Shrewsbury St mary and was a printer.  Post office recordsd show him in 1863 living in Castlegates, shrews.  In 1865 marries Ann (Annie) Martin at St Alkmonds.  He again is listed as a printer.  1870 living Castlegates - tobacconist (his father George ran the newsagents/printers next door with his boot and shoe business).  1871 census shows Henry living in St Mary and is a printer again.  1881 - listed as a printer/bookbinder, living at 3 college Hill, St chad.  At this point the census shows his daughter Elizabeth age 15 living at 10 castlegates with the housekeeper, Ann Wood, and Elizabeth is assistant stationer.  Elizabeths sister Martha is staying with aunt and uncle Robinson at 7 St Alkmonds Square.  BUT......
Between 1881 and 1891 Henry seems to disappear! I can't find him.  AND in 1891 the only logical one I have found is in the workhouse in Birkenhead - The District Guardians of the Birkenhead Union - it lists him as an 'imbecile' - NICE!!  Anyhoo, I think he died there in 1895 but I am not 100% sure!!
The question is - what happened between 1881 and 1891?  And why was the poor man sent to the workhouse?

If ANYONE out there can help me to answer these baffling (to me) questions, I would be very grateful indeed.  If not, it'll all have to wait another year or so!
thank you for reading.   ???
Knight-Barnard & Barnard (Gloucestershire, Stroud, Rodborough Common)
Mitten or Mitton (Guildford, Shropshire) 
Rose, Jacobs,  Guttentag, (mainly London)
Giles (Cricklade, Cinderford, Merthyr Tydfil, Troedhyriw),
Mills, (Wales & Gloucestershire)
Hughes - (Wales)
Klussman/Klusmann

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mitton, Henry born 1841 - Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not spotting the one in the workhouse in 1891, but thats probably me being thick.

I would have thought it highly unlikely he would be in a workhouse so far from home, as they are usually for the poor of the parish.  If it was an asylum it might be different, as I have ancestors in an asylum far away from their home.

His wife Ann is at RG12 2109 4 2  in 1891, stating she is married. Is a servant.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

Here he is in the workhouse 1891
RG12,  2893, 89, 1
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks

JUst found it.

Clearly he was born Shrewsbury and was a printer.

I think he IS your man. Must be! But wht he was in a Cheshire workhouse is anybodys guess.

I wonder if the Cheshire Record Office have any surviving workhouse records, there might be some info about his admission there if so.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Many workhouses served as hospitals too.
Maybe (and this is pure imagination) he was in Cheshire for some reason and had some sort of accident, bang on the head type, was taken to the workhouse. And it left him mentally damaged, so he never left.
I think your only hope of finding out more is to contact the relevant record office and see if any workhouse records have survived.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some info on Birkenhead workhouse here, at the bottom it states records are at Wirral Archives, perhaps you could email them.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birkenhead/

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/leisure-and-culture/wirral-archives-service
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Miranda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 May 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not spotting the one in the workhouse in 1891, but thats probably me being thick.

I would have thought it highly unlikely he would be in a workhouse so far from home, as they are usually for the poor of the parish.  If it was an asylum it might be different, as I have ancestors in an asylum far away from their home.

His wife Ann is at RG12 2109 4 2  in 1891, stating she is married. Is a servant.

Hi lizdb, thank you for that, yes I have her down as the servant in that household too. And no you weren't being thick! It took me ages to track that down.
I like your imagination, that actually had never occurred to me, and I guess that is always a possibility.  I think I will have to contact Wirral Archives, they should have something!  I may put that on hold and go myself next year rather than pay for someone else to do it.

Jool, thank you for those links I will check them out now.

Knight-Barnard & Barnard (Gloucestershire, Stroud, Rodborough Common)
Mitten or Mitton (Guildford, Shropshire) 
Rose, Jacobs,  Guttentag, (mainly London)
Giles (Cricklade, Cinderford, Merthyr Tydfil, Troedhyriw),
Mills, (Wales & Gloucestershire)
Hughes - (Wales)
Klussman/Klusmann

Offline Sylvanus Williams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 October 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
When Henry was in the workhouse he was listed next to Thomas Evans (probably his father-in-law)!

rich@rahwilliams.orangehome.co.uk