Author Topic: GWILLIAM MYSTERY - any help appreciated  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Emily84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GWILLIAM MYSTERY - any help appreciated
« on: Thursday 12 January 06 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem.

Carrie Gwilliam Married Frank Hobson in 1895 in Huddersfield. Now, according to her at the time of the marriage she was 18 year old, this puts her date of birth at 1877ish.

She was my Grandma's Grandmother and according to my Grandmother she said she was from Gloucestershire.

I can only find 2 records of Carrie Gwilliam/Hobson.
- Her Marriage to Frank in Huddersfield in 1895.
- the 1901 census, where her birthplace is recorded as Rotherham.

The plot thickens... My Grandma has recently rediscovered an old newpaper clipping of about a funeral where the attendees are listed. Carrie was present at this funeral yet is named in this newspaper as being M.A.C Hobson....

I would be grateful to anyone who knows anything or finds out anything about her. I do not have access to any early journals perhaps there is something to be found out there.

My grandma can remember her from when she was a child a recalls her as being somewaht of a 'character'  She also remembers that when she went to get her pension there was great difficulty in determining her real name and age.

Thankyou
Chambers - West Yorkshire and Barnsley
Riley - West Yorkshire
Pickering - ??

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GWILLIAM MYSTERY - any help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 06 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emily!

Have you got the marriage certificate?  If not, I think that has to be a priority as it will give her father's name and occupation (with a bit of luck).  It should also give an idea of her age.

Does grandma remember the names of any of her siblings or her mother's names?  anything you can persuade her to remember will be invaluable.

Let us know everything you come up with and we will see what Rootschatters can accomplish to help you!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 06 18:33 GMT (UK) »
There's a rather iffy possibility on the 1891 census -  a 15 yr-old Caroline Williams, b. Rotherham, working as a servant in Rotherham.

Not exactly conclusive....  ???

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizzie merry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi. She was my Great Grandma. She came from the Forest of Dean and died in Huddersfield where she lived all her married life after she married Frank Hobson, they kept a tobacconists shop for years which proudly displayed the FA Cup in it's window when Huddersfiled won it in 1920's. She had 4 children, 2 girls, 2 boys and apparently she was quite a character. I do know quite a bit more about her, indeed I think I have her birth cert. but as this thread is so old I will wait to see if anyone is interested still.

Offline lizzie merry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
MAC stood for Mary Ann Caroline Gwilliam/ Hobson. She had 3 elder sisters Ada, Ruth and Eliza.  Her nickname was Clara. She was born in Rotherham in Feb 1876 but all the family were from the Forest of Dean. She sadly passed away on 13th Dec 1961 and was cremated at Huddersfield Crem.