Author Topic: Florence Goddard d 1920  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Florence Goddard d 1920
« on: Thursday 31 October 13 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Florence Emma Wood was born February 1894.  She married John Goddard December quarter 1915 registered Hartlepool.  They had one daughter Muriel Helen (known as Peggy) birth registered Guisborough June 1916.

Florence died aged only 26 registered June quarter 1920 Guisborough.  Family legend has it she died in a car crash - would there be any online avenues for newspaper reports, coroner's reports etc.?

Ceeoh

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Goddard d 1920
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 October 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Ceeoh,you'd probably need to get her death cert to get the exact date of death,to enable the search to be made in any newspapers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 October 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was trying to avoid a certificate if possible - very, very expensive from here, our rate of exchange is about 16 to 1 at the moment.  A bit like U.K. residents paying 148 pounds for a certificate!  Sadly there are many certificates I would like for this family but this one doesn't feature very highly on the list I'm afraid.  I am writing up my (recently deceased) husband's family, Florence (Cissie) would have been his aunt.

Many thanks

Ceeoh

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 October 13 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't know why it would be so expensive,but the cost of a UK cert is only £9-25 from the GRO.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

A library or record office might do a look up for you if you had an exact date.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 October 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Florence's burial is on Deceased Online.  She was buried on 5th May 1920 at Redcar Cemetery.  The basic search on this website is free, to view the burial record is pay-per-view.  It says there is another burial in that plot, might this be John?

I will be able to look at the Northern Echo and the Darlington & Stockton Times at Darlington Local Studies Library in the next few days, if that would help.  There may be an article about her "accident".

Tillypeg

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 October 13 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Florence's burial is on Deceased Online.  She was buried on 5th May 1920 at Redcar Cemetery. 

Tillypeg

Never thought to look there Tilly  :-[

Well done,at least that narrows things down.

Looking through microfilmed newspapers is very long winded,much better now you have a date to go by  ;D

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 October 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes well, I've done that a couple of times!  The early newspapers are difficult to skim through but with later editions you can quickly go to the announcements page which is usually the same page number in each issue.  It's so easy to get distracted and start reading other articles though.  This sometimes results in finding something interesting which might be useful to someone else.

Hope I can find something for Ceeoh.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 October 13 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Their marriage is on Tees Valley Index website with the ref no H 521, this indicates that it took place at St James, West Hartlepool.

Perhaps if anyone is visiting Middlesbrough Reference Library they could look at the parish register on microfilm for this church and transcribe the details.  I won't be going there for quite a while.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 October 13 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol - it's the rate of exchange that makes it expensive.  We pay about R16 for £1 so £9.25 if your income is in Pounds is not too bad, if income is in Rand it works out at about R148 - expensive.

Hi tillypeg, many thanks for the info.  Have not seen "Deceased Online" must have a look at it.  I think the other person in the plot could be Florence's aunt, sister of Florence's mother, I know her parents George and Emma are in the next plot, but there are no headstones with dates for any of them.

If you have the time to have a quick look at the newspapers it would be most appreciated.

Just checked George and Emma "Deceased Online" - they are there George 1921 and Emma 1941, I know they are interred together in plot H.1.39 as we visited the cemetery some years ago.

Very many thanks

Ceeoh