Author Topic: Thomas Kennedy/Julia Ryan  (Read 7453 times)

Offline vlhan57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Kennedy/Julia Ryan
« on: Monday 08 September 08 00:07 BST (UK) »
 ??? I have searched everywhere i can find and have been unable to find any information on my gggrandparents. All i have so far is Thomas was born in Upperchurch Tipperary, Ireland in 1838. And Julia also born there i believe in 1845.
Thomas came to the US in 1851 and to Ottawa, IL in 1852. Julia later joined him and they were married in 1864. THey had 5 children. Helen(nelly), John(my ggrandfather), James Patrick (died at 3), Mary(minnie), and Julia E. (Jeweletta). They lived in Ottawa, IL and Thomas ran a hotel here called Marquette House. He died in 1880. Julia lived until Sept. of 1913.
This is all i know. I have been trying to find out anything i can on Thomas and Julia's family. Did they have siblings? Who were their parents?  ANYTHING......If these names sound familiar to anyone else or if anyone knows anything about them, i would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know. I am at a brick wall, as i cannot afford the lookups etc. SO again, thank you in advance if you can help me.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kennedy/Julia Ryan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 08 10:43 BST (UK) »
there is about 18 matches for birth of Thomas Kennedy in 1838 +/- 1 on irish-roots.ie

do you know which parish Upperchurch is in ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline vlhan57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 13:19 BST (UK) »
No i do not, but i will see if i can find that out. Cashel/Emly has come up with someone else i had talked to, is that a  possiblity? Thank u for any help u may be able to give.
It seems like in all the information i have tried to find, Thomas and Julia is no where to b found. Have found other ones, but they went to New York, and that is not them, mine came to Ottawa, IL and lived and died here. Again, thanks.

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
The parish of Upperchurch was administered by Kilcommon Church when your Thomas was born. Thomas was born on 19/01/1838 in a place called Foilduff in Upperchurch. His parents were Thomas Kennedy and Biddy (Bridget) Connors. His birth was sponsored by William Connors and Biddy Curtin. Thomas' parents were not married in Kilcommon which means that Biddy came from outside of the Parish. They had the following children: Brien Kennedy born 23/04/1828 Sp Bartholomew Kennedy and Margaret Kennedy.
Honor Kennedy 08/05/1830 Sp Daniel Kennedy and Honor Kennedy
Judith Kennedy born 27/02/1832 Sp Pat Kennedy and Mary Connors
Bridget Kennedy 25/01/1834 sp Thomas Connors and Bridget Ryan
Patrick Kennedy 11/12/1835 Sp John Kennedy and Mary Ryan
Then Thomas in 1838
Mary Kennedy 04/02/1842 Sp Bat Touhy and Mary Touhy
John Kennedy 05/12/1843 sp Brien Kennedy and Onny Kennedy (I suspect these were Thomas senior's parents as the first two children were named after them)

There is no record of Julia Ryan 1845. Do you have any other information about her especially if Julia was a shortened version of anything. Do you have anything about her at all? Are you sure she was Upperchurch

Offline vlhan57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Oh my , how can I thank u for all this info? I totally appreciate it so much!!!! As far as Julia, the records I have from our genealogy office, it states she was born March 17, 1845 in Upperchurch, Co. Tipp, IRE, and died here in Ottawa, IL Sep. 28/29 (unclear on which day, two diff ones recorded) 1913 of diabetes. 

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
Here goes: There are no Julia Ryans recorded in Upperchurch over the few years either side of 1845. This is not too bad as Julia was one of the names used to shorten Johanna, which could also be shortened to Judy or Hanna or even Josie. There are no possible candidates in 1843 or 1844, in 1844 there is one Johanna but in the wrong area. In 1845 there are 2 Johanna Ryans born. One is Johanna Ryan 09/02/1845 to Frank and Margaret Croke in Falleen sponsors John Murray and Mary Ryan. The other is Judy Ryan from Inch born 10/06/1845. Her parents were Michael Ryan and Margaret Duggan. Her sponsors were Larry Ryan and Sally Carr. I know which one I prefer for your ancestor but I will leave it to you to see if there are any clues in this information. I will get back to you tomorrow night if you reply to me. Have a look on Google Maps to see the areas and get an idea to help you. Falleen is now spelt Foileen but Inch is the same spelling today as then.

Offline vlhan57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
Just seen this, will check out the google maps, but little confused as the dates of birth are way different. I guess my geneology chapter could be wrong though. Julia had a daughter she also named Julia "Jeweletta". Was there such a name as that back then? Well anyway, will go check out google now and see what i think. I just again want to thank you so much for helping me!!! Vera

Offline vlhan57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Appears neither is really that far away from Upperchurch, but Inch is closest, So ?? maybe Inch since only 9 min away???? But still little concerned over the major difference in birth dates. This stuff is so hard to decipher. Is the one in Inch who u think may be the one?? Thanks so much

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 May 14 00:46 BST (UK) »
 I would have gone for Falleen. Not sure why. I am off to Dublin this weekend for my own researching (I live in London) . I have just checked the registers there and it appears that Upperchurch was recording births since 1829. I thought it was much later. I have to check the microfiche for my own records so I will look for you as well. I have written down your information. It may be that the Kilcommon records are still the ones you need to look at but what was worrying me was that Thomas and Julia's children's names bear no relation to their parent's names which is very uncommon. I will record all I find and report back next weekend. Earlier if I get a chance.