Author Topic: George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)  (Read 13573 times)

Offline wendyld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Haskett of Ballina (1827 - 1882)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Well this is amazing!! You have done an inordinate amount of work! Thank you so much.  I can send you some things. Unfortunately I have more on Charles but a few things that relate to margaret and i will send you those.  My grandfather, Horace Melville Wright served in the first world war and I have his war records. Is that useful? I think my father was in world war 1 in the naval division but have little info re that.
Horace Melville married an English woman, Teresa Gay during world war 1 in England.They had four children one of which was my father Timothy Wright.  Horace and Teresa divorced and it appears that the four children were dispersed out. Timothy went to an orphanage. Life was not easy for him.
Are there any Hasketts in BC? Sounds like there may be a lot over towards Ontario?
I do actually have an account set up on facebook but have never really used it.  How would I friend you? I am just not very good at that.
I have visited Cork on two occasions.  I have always felt an affinity to ireland though I can only boast that I am only a quarter! I have a plan over the next few years to cycle parts of Ireland. 
I will try to access more info on Margaret.  She and Charles had a number of children who died in infancy and they are also buried in Chicago.  At Rose Hill cemetery.
So what does that make us? cousins of a sort many many times removed?
Everybody seemed to have a lot children throughout the lineage that you have compiled. so many connections.Big Davey sounds extremely interesting!
Thanks so much for the fascinating reading David!
Wendy

Offline wendyld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
sorry one more question.  Is there hasketts in chicago? if so wondering if i should connect with them later this month when we visit.
Thanks Wendy

Offline mrspryz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 August 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi David. You seem to be very well studied in the Haskett family history! I believe we are "related" by marriage.
 This is my family's story: My father is John (Sean) Patrick Hogan, born in Borrisokane on May 18, 1927. His parents were Christopher Hogan and Hanna (nee) Moloney. Hanna was the daughter of Thomas Moloney of Killaloe. She had 2 sisters, Bridget and Mary Anne and one brother, John. According to my father, both of Hanna’s sisters married Hasketts.
Hanna’s passport lists a DOB of 29 Dec 1888.
The 1901 Ireland census shows a 12 year old Hanna Moloney living at house 2 in Thomas Street (Killaloe, Clare) with her father Thomas, aged 50 and brother John aged 14.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Killaloe/Thomas_Street/1084591/

The1911 Ireland Census shows a 20 year old Hanna Maloney (surname spelled Maloney in 1911 census, and Moloney  in the the 1901 Census) living at house 19 in Main Street (Killaloe, Clare) with her father Thomas, aged 66 and her brother John aged 23.
Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 lists Christopher Hogan and Hanna Moloney in Jul-Aug-Sep 1922 in the Registration district of Scarriff. According to my father, Hanna was given a dowry of 100 guineas from her father.

Hanna and Christopher Hogan married and immigrated to the U.S.
They are listed as passengers on the Cedric, a White Star Line vessel, departing Liverpool for New York on February 24, 1923. They arrived at Ellis Island on March 6, 1923. The passenger list of the Cedric lists the nearest relative in the U.K. as Mr Michael Hogan, Fimoe Road, Borrisokane, County Tipperary, Ireland. Their U.S. destination is listed as San Francisco. My Dad’s recollection is that they planned to stay with cousins in San Francisco by the name of Troy, on San Bruno Avenue….but I am not sure if this is accurate information.
Christopher’s age is listed on the passenger list of the Cedric as 24 in 1923, a DOB of 1899. Their last address in the U.K. listed on the passenger records is: Fimoe Road, Borrisokane, County Tipperary.
On June 8, 1924, Christopher and Hanna Hogan and infant Michael Joseph Hogan are listed as passengers arriving in Liverpool from New York on the Baltic. Their names are listed under the heading of “Deportees”. Their proposed address in the U.K. is listed as Limerick, no address.
According to my father, Hanna and Christopher returned to Borrisokane, County Tipperary to live. Subsequently, my uncle, Thomas Flannan Hogan (DOB 1926) and my father, Sean Patrick (DOB 18 May 1927)  were born in Borrisokane. At some point, I don’t know when, Hanna and her three sons boarded a bus and left Borrisokane for Killaloe, the town where Hanna was born. They found a place to live on Carrig’s Lane (Carrick’s Lane) in Killaloe. Hanna found work cleaning and doing laundry. Christopher rejoined the family later. My father recalls it as a difficult time, as money and food were scarce.
My father recalls life improving drastically when “Cousin Flan Haskett” gave Hanna a cottage in Cullina in Ballina, County Tipperary….across the river from Killaloe. I believe “cousin Flan” is George  Haskett, the oldest son of David Haskett (1876-1941) who married Hanna’s older sister Mary Anne Maloney. 
According to my father, Hanna thought the world of Flan!
My father left Ireland in 1946 when he enlisted with the Royal Air Force.
His father, Christopher Hogan, died suddenly while Dad was still in training in England. (1947?)
I am only at the beginning of my research into my family's history. Are you able to confirm that we are indeed related by marriage?
I look forward to your reply.
Shelagh "mrspryz"

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelagh,

Great to hear from you - we most certainly are related!

Here's how:

Your line: Thomas Moloney -> Hanna Moloney -> Sean Hogan -> Shelagh Hogan
My line: Thomas Moloney -> Mary Anne Moloney -> George Haskett -> Cecil Haskett -> David Haskett

Here's my notes on Hanna:

1. The cottage in Ballina
About 7 months after they (George Flannan Haskett and Delia Galvin - my grandparents) first met in Clonlara they were married on February 8th 1943. At the time of their wedding houses were very scarce and in spite of the growing population, no houses or apartments were being built. Accommodation was extremely scarce and George was continuously asking everyone he met whether they knew of any houses that were available for rent.

He eventually found out that there was one flat available in Mallow Street, a cottage in Ballina (Cullinagh) and one house in Parteen, which was soon to be vacated by a Garda. He subsequently went to visit Jack Brown, a publican and the owner of the house in Parteen. George, who was notoriously poor in his timekeeping, subsequently called to the pub, but as it was almost midnight on the night in question Jack was in bed. George kept knocking until Jack put his head out the window. Jack asked what he wanted and George said he had heard there was a house becoming available for rent. Jack asked “who are you” and when George gave his name Jack asked him was he any relation of David Haskett.

George said he was David Haskett’s son. Jack said he knew David Haskett and said “come back tomorrow night”. He subsequently got the house in Parteen. In the meantime the cottage in Cullinagh, Ballina became available and having lived in Bridge Street after their short honeymoon in Cork, George and Delia then moved into the Clare County Council owner cottage in Cullinagh (which was only available for newly married couples. They intended moving to Parteen quite shortly after that but as they qualified for the house in Ballina they moved their first so that they would not only get that cottage but when they moved out soon after, they could allow Georges aunt Hannagh Moloney to remain on in the cottage.

2. Crag Hill
Georges Grandmother Margaret Moloney (nee Farrell) who was married to Thomas Moloney, had two brothers, both bachelors, who left about 5 acres to George, his brother Tom his sister Peg and their Aunt Hannagh. The land was located on a beautiful hill known locally as Crag Hill, overlooking Lough Derg. The area now forms part of the University of Limerick Activity Centre. The address was Craglea, about 5 kilometres north of Killaloe on a beautiful road running north from Killaloe towards Mountshannon. George bought out that land from the others and planned to build a house there. He, Delia and many of their children and sons in law did tremendous work in clearing the land of bushes and particularly fern.

Having worked very hard on this task for 3 years but he was refused a number of planning applications. Retaining the land for his own use was not really an option after that as he did not own a car. Finally in disappointment and sadness he sold the land.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Some background on Bridget Moloney and Patrick Haskett (Part 1):

Patrick Haskett was born in Ballina, Co. Tipperary, on 22 Feb 1866. He immigrated to the US in 1893, aged 27.

Bridget Moloney (from Killaloe) followed in 1896 aboard the “Umbria”. According to Ellis Island ship manifests, she sailed from Queenstown (Cobh) to New York, arriving August 15th 1896. She is listed as being 22, a native of Ireland, and her occupation is “Servant”. She had a single piece of baggage. As a single woman, her compartment on board the ship was on the Starboard side, while single men were on the Port side. Her intended destination appears to have been “Tuxedo Park”.

Tuxedo park is a village in Orange County, New York. It was a particularly affluent area; in fact, the evening dress for men now popularly known as a tuxedo, takes its name from Tuxedo Park, where it was said to have been worn for the first time in the United States. Seeing as she was listed as a Servant and the address is stated means that she was probably going to a specific job with a specific family in Tuxedo Park. This would have been arranged prior to leaving Ireland.

Both Patrick and Bridget appear in the 1900 US Census, living at 24 Gilbert Street, San Francisco. The census was carried out on the 5th & 6th of June, 1900. It records that Patrick immigrated in 1893 and Bridget immigrated in 1896. They were married in 1897. Bridget was born in August 1869. He was 33, she was 25. They had 2 children - neither had survived. They were also renting their home. They could read, write, and speak English. Patrick's occupation looks to be “Watchman”. In 1899 and 1900, Patrick was listed as a section hand, living at 24 Gilbert Street. A section hand was a laborer assigned to a section gang. In 1901, Patrick and Bridget purchased premises on the east line of Kansas Street, San Francisco, for the sum of $350. In 1903, they contracted William H. Bocard (Builder) and M. J. Welsh (Architect) to carry out building works on the property, for the sum of $1600. The property is described as a one-storey and rough basement frame building.  In the 1907, and also the 1908 San Francisco City Directory Grocer Listing, Patrick Haskett is listed at 647 Kansas, so it looks like this was a commercial premises, and he was a Grocer. This location was 1.3 miles away from their house on Gilbert Street.

Patrick and Bridget both survived the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. On April 16th 1906, a 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck the city, causing widespread devastating fires to break out, which lasted for several days. As a result of the quake and fires, about 3,000 people died and over 80% of San Francisco was destroyed.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
Part 2

Patrick was a member of the Western Addition Camp of the “Woodmen of the World”, a fraternal organisation that operated a large privately held insurance company for its members. It was confined to white males, between the ages of 21 and 44 inclusive. In 1906, Woodmen responded to the San Francisco earthquake by establishing relief camps for victims, providing food and shelter. The W.O.W would provide the widow of a deceased client $100 and a free gravestone if the logo of the organisation could be put on the stone. The "Woodmen of the World" logo, traditionally W.O.W. had four objects: the Maul, Axe, Wedge and Dove. The W.O.W. motto was "Dum Tacet Clamat" - Latin meaning "though silent, he speaks".

Patrick died 3rd August 1908. He was 42 years old. On his funeral record, he is listed as being a Merchant. Also he had a son Joseph (born 12 July 1902), and 2 deceased sons, George & Michael – these look like the 2 children from the 1900 Census. His and Bridget’s address was the Corner of 34th Avenue and Judah Street South (then called J street), not far from Golden Gate Park. Cause of death was “Tabes Dorsalis”, which is a degenerative disease caused by untreated syphilis. Patrick was buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, Colma, California. (Section T, Row 9, Area 18, Grave 8). Notable figures buried at Holy Cross are Bank of America Founder A.P. Giannini and baseball legend Joe DiMaggio.

After Patrick’s death, Bridget went by the name Jennie B. Haskett. In the Crocker-Langley San Francisco Directory of 1910, she is listed as a grocer at 34th Av South and J. She appears in the 1910 US Census, living with her son Joseph Patrick Haskett, aged 6. Also at her home on the night of the census was William Hardell, aged 21, and from California and Martin Troy aged 35, originally from Ireland.  In the Crocker-Langley San Francisco Directory 1911, Jennie is listed as grocer at the corner of Jamestown Ave and Jennings. From 1914 to 1919, her commercial address was 3229 Jennings Street. In the 1920 Census, she is listed as 40 years of age, and Joseph is 17. Again, William Hardell appears at the address on the night of the census, which suggests that he was a permanent resident.

The records for San Francisco Assembly District 22 in 1920 show that Joseph was a Ship-Fitter in a Shipyard, and William Hoddell was a Roomer.

Jennie (Bridget) Haskett died at 3.30am on 8th Feb 1924, aged 48 years. Cause of death was Cerebral Hemorrhage, which appears to have been brought in by 4 years of Chronic Interstitial Nephritis (Inflammation of the kidneys). Her funeral service was held at All Hallows Church and she was buried with her husband in Holy Cross Cemetery, Colma. On her Funeral record, her spouse is listed as Patrick Haskett and her father as Thomas Moloney.

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
The following is a transcript of a letter from Mary Ann’s sister, Maggie (probably Bridget), to Mary Ann in 1945:

3107 San Bruno Ave.,
San Francisco,
California,
USA,

July 10 1945

Dear Sister Mary Ann,

Just a few lines in answer to your ever welcome letter which I received a few days ago. I was glad to hear you and your family are in good health, as [dependence?] of this leaves me at present "Thank God".

It seemed like a dream to see your picture again after all the years that have gone by since we were young girls. The years have changed you MaryAnn, just as they have changed me. You have a wonderful family "God Bless Them".

I was surprised to hear Flan is married and has a family of his own. His wife and baby are pretty, aren't they?

I don't think you made a mistake when you said Tom looks like the Moloney's. I think I could see my father in him. He is a tall boy isn't he? That is a nice picture of Peg. She must be a great comfort to you. She has grown up to be such a fine girl. I was glad to hear her work doesn't take her away from home.

Mary Anne - Mannie’s married name is Mary Anne Love. Don't forget you promised to write to her - she says she is waiting to hear from you. You asked for a clearer picture of me. When Mannie gets her vacation, I will have one taken; she works in St. Josephs Hospital.

I'll close now Mary Ann, with love to you, Peg and the boys,

Your loving sister,

Maggie.

P.S. Please write again soon

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Based on the data in the letter, the following information was uncovered:

From the California Death Index:

Mary Anne Love
Born 9 May 1903, New Jersey
Died 5 June 1993, San Mateo (County?) (California)
Mother's Maiden Name: Maloney
Father's Surname:  Troy

From the  1910 US Census, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York
Martin J Troy 40 born Ireland
Margaret Troy 33 born Ireland
Mary Troy 7 born New Jersey.
According to the census they had 5 children but only 1 was still living.

From the 1930 San Francisco Census
Martin J Troy, age 55, head, divorced, immigrated 1892, born Ireland as were parents
Harry Love, age 27, son-in-law, born Oregon, parents born England
Mary Love, age 26, daughter, born New Jersey, parents born Ireland

From the 1930 San Francisco Directory
Love, Harry (Mary) storekeeper at Pacific Electric Manufacturing Corporation h3234 Jennings.

From the 1944 San Francisco Directory
Margaret L Brady (wid D A) 3107 San Bruno Av. Could this be Maggie?
She may have remarried and her husband's name may have been David Andrew Brady

From the 1945 San Francisco Directory
3107 San Bruno Av - Mrs. Mary A Love (this matches up with the address on the letter)

From the 1945 Letter

Mary Ann Love was working at St. Josephs Hospital, San Francisco and Maggie was still alive.

From Irish Death records (1947)

In 1947, Mary Ann Haskett (nee Moloney) died. This Mary Ann was the recipient of the letter.

From Marriage Records 1897

6th Oct 1897 Fall River, Massachusetts
Groom. Martin J Troy, 26 born Ireland, father Matthew, mother Margaret Gleeson
Bride. Margaret T Maloney, 23 born Ireland, father Thomas, mother Margaret Costello

(This information does not quite match up with what we already know – Tom Moloney was married to Margaret Farrell)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 August 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Another reference to Hanna here:

David Haskett (1876 - 1941)

David Haskett was born in Ballina, Co. Tipperary on August 27th 1876. Pat & Mary Walsh were sponsors at his baptism. When he was 6, his father George passed away. He married Mary Anne Moloney, daughter of Tom Moloney & Margaret Farrell of Bridge Street, Killaloe. David was a driver, and regularly made deliveries to local businesses. He would also transport the local gentry between Killaloe & Dromoland by horse and carriage. He had two  horses; one stabled in Killaloe, at his sister in law Hannah's property in Ballina, the other in Dromoland. He was kept very busy and he used to come to Bridge street after work for meals and stayed with his mother in Cullinagh at night. Mary Anne lived in Cullinagh with her mother in law, Ann Haskett and David for a very short time after they were first married, then she returned to Bridge Street.