Author Topic: Farney Castle  (Read 3180 times)

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farney Castle
« on: Monday 23 June 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Was wondering if anyone knows if there are any estate records available for the workers at Farney Castle c.1920. Have a relative listed as working there at the time of her marriage in 1920. Interested in finding any information about castle and daily life there at this time. She was allegedly from a wealthy family but don't know why she was working as a servant.!!

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Farney Castle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lawcarr....I'm from near the castle but actually have never been over there - one day!! Anyway, I've just rang the castle,and spoke to Mrs. Cullen who owns the castle along with her husband. She's told me that they have no records of people who worked there around the 1920s but has suggested that you contact the local history section of Thurles Library...the contact details are:

email: studies [-- at --] tipperarylibraries.ie

The Cullen family bought the castle from Americans and before that a German family. It was also derelict for a while as well.

I hope you have luck in your search

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and the link.
I went past the castle in April but did not have time to visit.   I was told that the castle was owned by American's but that would appear to no longer the case. I will try the local history group as well. I have recently been told that other family members  were employed there during the 1940's. will have to follow that up as well.

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=TN&regno=22404019

Link with photo of the castle. 

Added    You can also click on "Additional Images" near top of page.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Nope, it's owned by Cyril Cullen and his wife - their daughters went to the same convent school I did but a few years ahead. I've never been there myself even though I live ten minutes away - have got to change that  :)
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline lawcarr1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks 'conahy calling' calling for the picture links and anniedwyer for your replies.
Can either of you confirm who owned the castle in 1920 and 1940's. There might be info in their private family papers!

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile