Author Topic: Spoor family of Whickham  (Read 8742 times)

Offline fergussonfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spoor family of Whickham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 December 12 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Since then I've done a little more research and my Hannah Spoor was born in Hexham, probably actually Whitley like her husband. She is only the mother of the second wife of my ancestor, so no blood relation. It is his first wife's family who lived in Whickham, but probably in Swalwell, so the matching names and places are just a coincidence.

Offline Popsical

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 September 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just seen your post from couple years ago, I am researching Spoor family going back from Mary b 13th Aug 1801 bapt 21st Aug 1801 St Thomas aquino(as) Bladon (Blaydon), parents Andrew Spoor and Ann(e) Davison. I know Andrew and Ann m 23rd Oct 1791 Holy Cross Ryton and I have 8 children all bapt' Bladon. Do you have any info on either Spoor family or Davison family prior to this? Any info much appreciated.
Robson
Lillyman and variants
Thwait(e)s  all from Sunderland area

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 September 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Popsical and a very warm welcome to Rootschat!  This particular Spoor line is not my direct line, but I have gathered some information which I hope will be helpful to you.   ;D  Firstly, I believe they may have had a total of nine children.  The Father, Andrew Spoor, was very elusive to find; however, it appears that his Father was yet another Andrew Spoor, and his Father was Another Andrew Spoor who was born about 1730 in Netherwitton, Northumberland. (Some other related Spoor lines have originated in Rothbury, Nothumberland, so there is a strong chance that your line may intersect with them.)  I had no joy in tracing your Andrew's Mother, Anne Davison.  Let me add, tho, that in some records, I have seen that surname spelled as DaviDson.  If you would like more information about their children, I will be pleased to provide that information. Also, for your information, Andrew Spoor is listed in the House of Lords Papist returns in 1767 as a tailor, which may account for difficulty in finding them.....   Sincerely, patrexjax 
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Popsical

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 September 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax
Thanks for info, never heard of Papist returns, you learn something new all the time. The chidren I have for Andrew and Anne are:- Sarah 1794, Andrew 1796 m Ann and was a Waterman, James 1798, Anna 1801, Mary 1803 m 1822 William Simpson at Chester-le-Street, it is that line via their dau Margaret b1823 that I've been researching,Elizabeth 1806, Elizabeth 1808 and John 1811.
If Andrew's Gd F b 1730c then they all must have married abt age 20, I don't as yet have a date for Andrew and Anne's births or deaths. Any info is very welcomed as sometimes leads to where you least expect it to or gives clues to follow up. Thanks again for your help.
Not used to using these chat sites so fumble about a bit, if I get it wrong, sorry.
Regards Popsical
Robson
Lillyman and variants

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 September 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again Popsical!  Thank you for your response and the children you have found for Andrew and Ann......  I believe they had an earlier child, Michael Spoor chr 6 Mar 1892 Blaydon who married 31 Oct 1813 to Mary Dixon.  I have 7 children for that particular couple, if you are interested.  Also, I THINK your Andrew (the waterman) married Ann Craft who was b abt 1794 in Blanchland; it looks like they married 19 June 1820 and I have some of their children.

I have to run out and run a few errands, but I hope this is enough to keep you going til I get back to you with additional information. :) BTW, after you post a 3rd response, you will be allowed to send and receive PM (personal messages) which many Rootschatters use to relay more personal details. 

Sincerely, patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline Popsical

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Me again,
Thank's patrexjax, Andrew Spoor b 1796 (waterman) I have his wife as Ann Croft rather than Craft but I'm not too interested in that line, got enough to keep me busy without expanding into all siblings.  I'm also aware of the Davi(D)son name difference, they only do it to confuse me further!!
I shall now go North and see what I can find, if anything, on the father and Gd father Andrews.  I live in the Cambridgeshire Fens and must admit know very little about North'd, good job I have some decent maps.  This particular Tree is for one of my son in laws and the name Spoor(s) has been used as a first name so might link to others, these were, Spoors Carr b 1852, George Spoors Carr Patterson b 1870, Spoors Carr Patterson b 1896 and Spoors Robson b 1921 Hartlepool d 1999 Huddersfield. If anyone has links to any of these happy to hear from you.
Regards Pops'

Robson
Lillyman and variants

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again!  I have a little more information "further back" that might help you.  I believe that the Andrew Spoor who was born about 1730 in Netherwitton died 16 Jan 1774 in Ryton.  (His Father was a John Spoor).  Interestingly, he married Ann "Heckles" who was born about 1730 in Newcastle-on-Tyne; she died 1 March 1775 in Ryton.  I put Ann in quotes as it appears her Father's name was spelled "Eccles" so the entry may relate to the pronunciation factor.  Andrew and Ann were married 26 July 1756 in Ryton, so the "southward migration" occurred sometime after this Andrew was born.  I hope this helps in your quest and if I can help any further, I do have some information on other children if you think that might help you.  Happy hunting!  Sincerely, patrexjax

Offline Popsical

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 September 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax
Just came back to tell you what I'd found and it was the same as you but I'd not got death dates.
Also there was a Sarah Spoor bapt 7th Jan 1732/3 at Nether Witton who's father is John and it says Abode Hunshugh, could this be Humshaugh, which brings us back to near Newcastle.
I also note that Ann Heckles bapt 20th Sep 1730, it was at St Andrew RC church, so now we have a Catholic connection.  Will keep plodding on, no doubt eventually it will make sense.
Thanks for your help, nice that we both came up with the same info, makes me feel more confident that it's likely to be right.
Popsical
Robson
Lillyman and variants

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 September 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello!  Thanks for the extra info.  I agree -- it certainly is nice to have one's "finds' verified!  :'(  Please keep me "in the loop" on any other finds; I promise to do likewise.   Sincerely,  patrexjax