Author Topic: Which Charles Bunday/Bundy 1842?  (Read 5740 times)

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Which Charles Bunday/Bundy 1842?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 December 12 04:16 GMT (UK) »
also wondering if the following has any connection, I must admit I have not followed it up and the name is slightly different but the following shows that someone of the surname bound lived in Woodgreen
1805B/05
Will and administration of Richard Bound of Woodgreen, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, labourer

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 December 12 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I've had no further luck. I thought I might have had a possible father, a George Bundy, but I don't think it's correct.

I'm sure that they tie into the Downton Bundy's which have a long line already well researched on Ancestry.

It doesn't hurt to take a look at the Will if you can, any possibility is worth looking at. I'm especially interested in following this line of my ancestry due to the surname. I'm a Bundy also.

Would you mind PM'ing me further information about where you tie in the James Bundy / Rachel Downer?

Best,

Rich

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 December 12 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi rich
I am a descendant of James Bundy and Rachel Downer's son Peter who lived in Woodgreen.
The marriage certificate shows Peter Bundy aged 28 , labourer, bachelor of Woodgreen son of James Bundy , labourer to Harriet Jane Clark aged 20, spinster of Godshill,daughter of William Clark ,labourer. The witnesses to the event were Jonas Downer and Harriet Bundy. Both bride and groom made their mark.(Jonas Downer lived in the local area and appears on the census')
Hale Parish register
page 85 no 676 March 25th 1854 harriett dau. of Peter and Hariet Bundy Woodgreen lab (St MAry HAle)
page 90 Jan 17th 1858 Mary dau. of Peter and Hariet Bundy Woodgreen lab
page 97 no 773 May 19th 1861 Charles son of Peter and hariet Bundy Woodgreen lab
Peter's son Harry born 1874 Fordingbridge was my great grandfather  his son   Harold my grandfather and then my father Harold .

wonder if this helps
Title   Manuscript listings used to compile the official census enumerators returns: tithing of Godshill   
Date   1821
Bundy J
Manuscript listings used to compile the official census enumerators' return for Godshill   
Date   1811   
Bundy Joseph

breamore burial 1813 Mar 12 Rachel BUNDY from Woodgreen aged 28 years ( This is not Rachel married to James but could perhaps be a sister?)

deb

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 December 12 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Deb,

I see. I've got Peter Bunday b1826. The spelling has been Bundy up till about 1870, my Great Great Grandfather was a Bunday and the family story is that his wife didn't like the 'a' so it was dropped when they married. Odd.

There have been Bundy's going back a long time and I guess i'll never know.

I traced my line through to Hannah Bunday, b1820 who married a James Holly. Her parents were James Bundy b1787 (roughly!) and Rachel Downer b1790. Married in Hale, Hampshire in 1808. He was born in Fordingbridge and she was born in Woodgreen.

I haven't been able to find any birth or christening records. One possible but that was in Downton if memory serves correct...

I use Ancestry as I like the lay out. Are you a member on there?

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 December 12 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich
Not a member on ancestry at present but will probably join when my subscription for findmypast runs out. I have been using findmypast because of their excellent access to british army records.
I do have a tree on worldconnect - it does not contain any of my notes but shows people in my tree.
regards
deb

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 December 12 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I have some notes on your line of the family from other researchers that go to a Joseph James  Bundy 1875-1947

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 December 12 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I've used Findmypast, I much prefer their search engine and layout over Ancestry but the Ancestry family tree layout is easier to use and I like the 'hints' that pop up! It's the small things in life eh!?

Any notes you might have and are willing to share would be very kind.

I wish I could help with your research but i've only recently discovered James Bundy, Rachel Downer and their children.

Rich

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich
I have parents for Rachel Downer as Mark Downer and Elizabeth.

and notes on the Downers
1841  census Woodgreen Hants
George Trim 50 ag lab yes
Mary 50
H--- 15
Jonas Downer 7

more to come
merry xmas
deb

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 July 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi - Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I've just started further research with where I left off and have revisited the Bunday/Bundy line.

Deb, I've firmed up James Bunday/Bundy and Rachel Downer. They are definitely the parents of Hannah.

From looking at clues -

1851 census shows birth in 1787.
Marriage in 1808 is between James Bendey and Rachel Downer. I've done a search for a James Bendey. He doesn't exist. I'm swaying towards this being a transcription error.

Interestingly - I've found a christening for a James Bundy in Downton, Wilts in 1786. Father shown as a George Bundy. I couldn't find anything for James Bundy/Bunday born in Fordingbridge around 1787.

Furthermore, a search for a christening shows a George Bendy in Wiltshire 1769.

I'm stretching here I think. I'd be grateful for some suggestions?

Rich