Author Topic: Clearys - Monasterevin  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Valerie Prince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clearys - Monasterevin
« on: Thursday 20 March 14 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've hit a brick wall with my ancestor Maurice Cleary, a blacksmith, b. about 1812 in Monasterevin.  I know he was married in 1845 to Alice (Ally) Dunne and they had several children.  But I can't seem to find any leads further in the past.  Here are my questions:

• I am currently in possession of a microfilm of the Roman Catholic Monasterevin parish records from 1819, courtesy of the Mormons, but the quality of the scan is terrible.  Are there any other digitized parish records available online which I can search?  I have some leads on potential siblings of Maurice's who may have been born after him (Bridget, Margaret, William, possibly Thomas).  I'm hoping to search the entire book for Clearys.
  • Are there any records dating before 1819, possibly as part of another parish if Monasterevin was served by a different church nearby?
  • I know that Maurice leased his smithy in Skirteen from the Marquis of Drogheda, and that at least one of his children is buried in the Passlands cemetery.  Are there any searchable records for this cemetery?  I'm not sure where Maurice is buried (he died 4 Nov 1893) but I'd like to find his grave.
  • Maurice's grandson recalled Maurice telling a story that his own grandfather was Thomas Cleary, a blacksmith in Monasterevin.  Supposedly Thomas was hanged by the British in the 1798 rebellion for secretly forging swords for the Irish.  I would love to be able to substantiate this claim but cannot find the definitive connection from Maurice to Thomas, or proof of Thomas's actions.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!  Please let me know if you need any additional information.[/list]
Dublin: Cleary, Adams, O'Reilly
Monasterevin, Kildare: Cleary, Dunne
Ireland: McMunn (McMahon, McMann)
USA: Barbosa, Prince
Mexico: Barbosa, Prince
Italy: Granata

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clearys - Monasterevin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Valerie Prince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 14 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I found there:

Passlands & Yewtree Cemeteries

Booklets on the two graveyards have been compiled by Monasterevin Historical Society and the Parish office.The booklet give a brief history of the cemeteries and include a listing of the graves. and are available to buy in the Parish office. Cost is 3 euro.

Alas, I live in the US, so I'll have to see if I can get someone to pick up a booklet for me.
Dublin: Cleary, Adams, O'Reilly
Monasterevin, Kildare: Cleary, Dunne
Ireland: McMunn (McMahon, McMann)
USA: Barbosa, Prince
Mexico: Barbosa, Prince
Italy: Granata

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
Can't find anything on Thomas but it's clear that blacksmiths were 'questioned' after the rebellion.
http://kildarelocalhistory.ie/1798-rebellion/background-to-rebellion/government-repression/
You have to hope he wasn't one who suffered the Triangle.

Forging swords seems unlikely, it was probably pikes.

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

I'm not far from Monasterevin so I'll give the parish office a ring in the morning and check they have the booklet and go pick one up for you.  I should be able to scan it and email it to you so if you can pm me your email address I'll get that sorted for you.

Regards
Lostandfound

Offline wyrleybart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Studying South Staffordshire local railway history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 August 22 08:53 BST (UK) »
Not sure if there are still people actively researching from this thread. I am trying to help a friend who is researching a Thomas William Cleary who is believed to have come from Kildare to England.  He married Gladys Anne Wynn in Walsall Staffs in 1918 so would probablyhavebeen born in the 1880s or maybe the 1890s.  I have seen a reference on Ancestry to a Thomas Cleary b 1867, but maybe a tad early for a 1918 wedding in England.

Thoughts anyone please ?
Thsnks very much
Bartlett -  Hampshire via London to Northants
Rimes - Northants, Llandudno and Birmingham
Garrett - Northants
Thorneloe - Leics and Northants
Jackson, Powell - Staffordshire

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 August 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
Have you got his father's name and occupation from his marriage?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 August 22 09:37 BST (UK) »
There are 9 Thomas Cleary births registered in reg districts that include Kildare between 1880 and 1900.
This will give the Reg districts
https://www.swilson.info/regdistmap.php
And here you can see images of the birth Certs
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
But before even looking there I would get his father's name and narrow down his age if possible, in maybe on his marriage cert, is he in the 1921 Census of England and Wales?

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:24 BST (UK) »
Looks like he and Gladys are in Leeds in 1939. Birthdate of 1 Aug 1884.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk