Author Topic: Fountain Dale near Blidworth  (Read 33842 times)

Offline cybrgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain Dale near Blidworth
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 August 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tigress

About three years ago some one did email me a copy of an arial photograph of Fountain Dale taken in 1925.
If you would like a copy I will try to find it.

Regards.....................Sylvia
KAY - Notts and Derbyshire.
SMITH - Notts.
Johnston Armagh
Maguire Co Cavan
Millen London
Smith Liverpool
Stenhouse Fife

Offline ren32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am coming into this discussion a bit late and I hope the original people still visit. It fascinated me, as i remember staying at Fountain Dale as a small child of maybe eight or nine.(around 1949) My Grandfather was a Methodist minister (Wilmot Carvosso Carlyon) and he and my grandma were friendly with the Shipsides family who owned the house then. I think he had once been the minister of their local chapel. My grandparents were house sitting for the Shipsides and I was invited to stay.
It was such a grand house! I remember the bedrooms all called after their colour schemes. I had the Peach bedroom. There were so many rooms, even one for the arranging of flowers. It was amazing to me as a child. What is also in my memory is a room with bars at the windows where they said Robin Hood had been kept prisoner for a while. The most impressive thing was that Mr Shipsides put a whole pound note in the collection bag!I think they owned a big Car Company. I do know he had his own plane and had flown my grandparents to Switzerland. Wow! Such wealth! If I think of any more details I will be back.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome Ren
There used to be a large motor garage in Newark called Shipsides,On the corner of Lombard street where it meets Castle Gate, wonder if it was the same man?
It appears Sir Walter Scott wrote part of Ivanhoe at Fountain Dale, be exciting to wonder if he stayed in the Peach Room. It was Mr Tom Shipside, there is a snippet in the newspaper from 26th Jan 1937 saying he will be returning to Fountain Dale after touring Egypt and Palestine.
LOVE the name of your grandfather........  ;D
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline ren32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur.That's great to get a response so soon. Yes that's the Shipsides all right. Wow how interesting about Walter Scott and Ivanhoe.
LOVE the name of your grandfather
. Yes I am very proud to be Cornish and of course the name betrays our roots. My Granddad was born in Mylor near Falmouth. I am hoping to trace his sister Mabel as I never met her and don't know if she had" issue" as they say! Looks as though this might be the place to find out.
Thanks so much for making my first visit here so pleasant.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
Birth registered
Mutford Jun 1876 4a/798 Mabel Mellor Carlyon.

On the 1881 census The family are in Wellington Shropshire and with them as a visitor is George B Mellor aged 62 Wesleyan Minister of the Southampton Chapel.

Ok sorted that one, he was perhaps Emilys father?
Marriage Sculcoates Sep 1875 9d/277
William Rundle Carlyon and Emily Corfield Mellor.

Marriage Mabel M Carlyon and Arthur R Wootton Dec 1910 at Bolton
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If you go onto this site, there are 3 sons born with Wootton father and Carlyon mother in Walsall. I will not post up here just in case they are still with us.
All the best.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline ren32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Oh my Gosh! What a genius! That would have taken me weeks!
When I am not in the middle of marking exam papers and can breathe freely, I will go into all that. Thanks so very much!

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
 ;)

Offline rubyjjohn12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 February 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Caroline ( my ggg grandmother), the daughter of Samuel Need. I would be particularly interested to hear from OzKen, perhaps we can swap info as I know a fair amount about her!

Tessa

Hello Tessa, Samuel Need was my GGGG grandfather as well. I would like to know more about Caroline. Would you be able to tell me? His son John was my Ggg grandfather and my family and I still live in the area where he settled in Australia.

Thanks, Ruby.

Offline janeramc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 April 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
I am writing you this post sitting in a beautiful four poster bed that came from Fountaindale which is a privately owned home on Little Ricket Lane nr Blidworth. It is very near the well where Friar Tuck lived, and Will Scarlett is buried in the Church Yard there. I lived in a very old line of cottages called Rock Terrace nearby. I knew the couple who lived at fountaindale until perhaps 15-20 years ago Mr & Mrs Cooke (I think there was an "E" on the end of cook, Bella & Ralp. They sold the bed to my friend when they moved to Birkenstead and when she moved I had it. The house was up for sale very recently and you should be able to see it on Rightmove. The water nearby was known as "Fowl Evil" and was rumoured to appear every 7 years. It is a lovely home with flag stone floors and private gardens. Now you have the address you can contact them. Jane